Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 11:06:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being threatened by city of Matthews, NC  (Read 5510 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »

Well, here's a tactic that worked for me awhile back. In the little nazi town I live in they have all these codes that they only enforce if someone complains. Otherwise, they just ignore any and all violations. So, someone had it in for me and I started getting letters for stupid things. Finally, I had enough, and I drove up the street on which the enforcement officer lived. Every house that I
saw even the slightest violation (garbage can in view, etc), I wrote down the address. Then I sent a letter to the city with all those addresses, something like 28 out of the 54 houses on her street,
and I informed them they could consider this a formal complaint on every one of those properties, so now they had to investigate. Then I called the mayor and told him that I was currently unemployed
and had all kinds of time on my hands, and if they didn't stop harassing me I was going to make it my mission to find every violation in the city and report it. He said, "We'd have to hire 10 people
to investigate all those violations." I replied, "Whatever it takes. But I'm not going to stand by and let you selectively enforce the codes on me alone!" That was the last time I heard from them.

Think about it. If they only enforce the law when someone complains, it's selective enforcement, and is illegal. You can make their job very worthwhile! It's your taxes that are paying for the idiot.
You might as well get your money's worth!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »

Well, I figure "if it wudn't for a$$ho1es the rest of us cudn't look so good!
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »

Eric sounds like HOA in Scottsdale lol I had to move my helicopter  it was not a automobile the garage was built for I am still LMAO at the old skinny leg fart that told me that but I did move it

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »

http://www.matthewsnc.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Gqb3v9etkVc%3d&tabid=157

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
TEAKNE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »

I wish to add to this conversation from the other side of the coin.  As part of my job, I am required to do code enforcement for my local town.  Let me say right off....this is a part of the job I don't really like to do.  It is never enjoyable to tell someone they need to take care of their yard, house, vehicles or other possible issues a community deems an eyesore or a safety issue. 
 Several of the major purposes of code enforcement is to protect property values and the safety of it citizens.  The only means a community has to control this is code enforcement.  Lets say you have a nice home that you spent considerable time, effort and money to improve your home value. 
 Now you have a neighbor on each side who could care less about their property.  Their dogs and cats run loose and their garbage is left on the curb for weeks and half of it ends up in your yard. Their homes look run down and the weeds are three feet tall in the front yard!
 Do you believe your chances of selling your home at a fair price are better or worse? So now you run to your City Council and they tell you there is nothing they can do because they have no code enforcement program in place. Now what are you going to do?
 I know it's never fun when one of us shows up on your property in response to a complaint.  Get with your City Inspector and work with them to come to an agreeable solution.  The minute a homeowner becomes verbally combative, the chances of the inspector working with you are greatly reduced (it's just human nature). If you are given a notice or citation, you have every right to fight the notice or work to help change the code.
 Now, I know there are people who do code enforcement that have little of no people skills.   And on the same token, there are property owners who act the same way.  If this happens, work with your city council person and file a complaint! I know of one case where there were enough complaints about an inspector, the city let them go. Get involved and help make a difference in your community. Smiley
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »

Yeah, I saw that page... Did you see anything there that said I can't park an RV on my own property?

Have a look at this... particular page 15 section F... Very strange.

http://www.matthewsnc.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=rYie_I8w0Gk%3D&tabid=106
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:45:21 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »

TEAKNE,

I do see the value of certain statues and ordinances, like the examples you list.  But I think the code enforcement "officer" should have enough knowledge/training to see that my coach is perfectly legal and dismiss the complaint on the spot as invalid.  instead he left me with more reason to believe I was in for a hassle than not.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »

Which of your neighbours is upset?

The inspectors don't come around looking for trouble, they react to complaints, as detailed in the earlier post.

And if that neighbour has pull with someone in authority...?

Nothing the inspectors like better than rumbling with someone who reacts impolitely.

Figure out the source and find a compromise without the inspectors being involved.

Or it usually gets deeper.

Are you a member of either Good Sam or FMCA? They have expertise in these matters.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:04 AM »

Visited a friend in Fl. one time. (snip)

Oh, gee, what a terrible way to live.  If I got dropped there, you'd see a video on the evening news of my last hours -- one that included a SWAT team ...

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 05:44:22 AM »

Per the Matthews Code:  "provisions of this subchapter.  JUNKED MOTOR VEHICLE. As authorized and defined in G.S. 160A-303.2 the term, JUNKED MOTOR VEHICLE shall mean a vehicle that does not display a current license plate lawfully upon that vehicle and that:
3)   appears to be worth less than $500. (Ord. No. 17532, passed 9-13-10)"

Wow, I gotta be sure that the rain doesn't wash the sticker off my license plate -- I'd be driving a junked car!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 06:26:41 AM »

If it the complaint sprang from the incident with the kids in the middle of the road then I have no idea who it is as I don't know where those kids live.  I am going to stay on top of this thing and contact code enforcement again today to find out what their official standing is.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 06:47:23 AM »

Cities are a tough position when it comes to code enforcement.  If they hired a ton of code enforcement officials then people complain about enforcement being over zealous and the extra tax dollars being spent on these employees.  If they only act when someone complains then residents complain about selective enforcement.

Last year or the year before my city did a neighborhood beautification sweep.  Basically they checked every property for any code violations.  My property passed.  Apparently they didn't look very hard because there are couple of things on my property that technically would not pass.  Garbage cans are supposed to be inside the garage or enclosed.  My garbage cans sit out unenclosed, but they can't be seen from the road.  My guess is they just did a walking tour and since my house is 200 feet from the road and they couldn't see any issues it passed.

Some of the requirements cities have are just silly.  Some cities allow RVs and trailers in backyards, but they have to be on rock or a paved surface.  Why I have no idea.  Someone I know got in trouble for a popup camper on his grass in the backyard.  He waent on all out war with the city kinda like Craig.  The violations he reported to city hall made his trailer on the grass pale in comparison.  People had piles of junk in the backyard that were fenced in and didn't bother anyone, but technically against city code.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
ldj1002

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:46 AM »

If it the complaint sprang from the incident with the kids in the middle of the road then I have no idea who it is as I don't know where those kids live.  I am going to stay on top of this thing and contact code enforcement again today to find out what their official standing is.

You better watch how you describe your RV. I have read and you have repeatedly you have called it a bus or a coach. There has already been one post who was a code officer. You never know someone from your city might be reading this. By your own admission you have a bus, you have lost.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 07:27:14 AM »

If it the complaint sprang from the incident with the kids in the middle of the road then I have no idea who it is as I don't know where those kids live.  I am going to stay on top of this thing and contact code enforcement again today to find out what their official standing is.

You better watch how you describe your RV. I have read and you have repeatedly you have called it a bus or a coach. There has already been one post who was a code officer. You never know someone from your city might be reading this. By your own admission you have a bus, you have lost.

LOL...  Among friends it's a "Bus"... to the city I call it a motorhome or RV.  I repeatedly pointed that out to him when he referred to it as a bus.

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 07:42:41 AM »

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. But fighting code enforcement is just like fighting an inspector. "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling a pig in mud. The dirtier you get and the worse it gets, that happier the inspector gets."  Grin Our local city building inspector told us that one.

I agree that the best way to handle it is politely (as it sounds like you are) and with reason. We have a great relationship with our building inspectors in town and code enforcement officers also. That is the way we will keep it, and the way I like it.

That said, there are always bad apples in every bunch. I see calling it a bus like this. Say you purchase an old house, rezone it commercial, then set up a shop in there. Yes it is a "house" but the city sees it as a shop. Call it house, by your own admission, and it doesn't change the taxes you pay on it. Only thing that matters is how the government sees it. No longer a house, but a place of business, or shop now.

Same with the bus. Maybe a commercial bus at one point, now an RV. Simple as that.

Hope you get it sorted.

John
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:00:00 AM by John316 » Logged

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: