Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 09:16:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being threatened by city of Matthews, NC  (Read 5984 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »

I have calmed down quite a bit today, so I think I am better equipped to get back in touch with him to find a solution.  My first order of business is to mow my lawn...  Roll Eyes  Not sure what happened to my neighbor... Of all times to leave me hanging!

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
BRUISER

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »

after reading all of these it makes me think about my current situation..

I bought a house built in 1955 with no HOA but in the last 10 years my area is now the place to live in my town and all the old houses are being ripped down and McMansions are being built up all around me..

yup I have a 24x36 detached garage for my toys and a 40' bus parked next to it Smiley

I guess I better stay on top of what is going on in my neighborhood and make sure no one tries to start anything or start an HOA..that could be a real pain in the rear

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »

All the code enforcement, etc harassment, gang writing on my cars, etc.. is why i moved out of town 10 years ago. 

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »

I guess I better stay on top of what is going on in my neighborhood and make sure no one tries to start anything or start an HOA..that could be a real pain in the rear

I think it would be pretty hard to force someone to join an HOA when it didn't exist when you bought the property.  Typically HOAs are listed on the deed.  Nothing would stop neighbors from going to the city and asking for new zoning restrictions that could mean you could no longer park your bus there.  Existing buildings are almost always grandfathered in when zoning laws are changed, but sometimes you can't rebuild if they are destroyed by a fire or other disaster.

Most new developments in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro have strict covenants written into the lease even when the lots are 2 to 5 acres.  The covenants almost always prohibit out buildings and often restrict parking of vehicles like buses and RVs.  Why would I buy a 5 acre lot if I couldn't build any outbuildings like a garage for my bus?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »

after reading all of these it makes me think about my current situation..

I bought a house built in 1955 with no HOA but in the last 10 years my area is now the place to live in my town and all the old houses are being ripped down and McMansions are being built up all around me..

yup I have a 24x36 detached garage for my toys and a 40' bus parked next to it Smiley

Might be time to "remodel" that garage and expand it to be large enough to park the bus in it, rather than beside it.
Before they come up with some regulation prohibiting it!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »

Regarding HOA's in an existing neighborhood, I remember reading that if a certain percentage of property owners in a neighbor vote to create one, then one can be formed.  Can you even imagine such insanity?

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »

The last place I lived was rural, but had some boilerplate zoning that didn't make sense regarding rv's.

It said you couldn't camp on the property of a friend or relative for more than 5 days.  I guess if you squatted on the property of someone you didn't know you could stay forever!;D Wink

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »

Just thought I'd post this, on the subject of 'neighbour relations'...

My back garden, where my bus is parked, is overlooked to varying degrees by several other houses; when I first got my bus I made up the card shown below and sent copies of it to all my neighbours. I sent it inside Christmas cards, it being that time of year - some of the families I sent cards to that year were people I'd never really spoken to before. To date, four years (and much grinding, welding and assorted banging) later I've had no negative feedback or complaints of any sort.

Jeremy

PS. I've been reading this thread with some amazement - I had no idea all these petty and totalitarian rules existed in the 'land of the free'. They'd have put me in jail and thrown away the key long ago if half those rules existed here.

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 01:23:41 PM »

(snip) PS. I've been reading this thread with some amazement - I had no idea all these petty and totalitarian rules existed in the 'land of the free'. They'd have put me in jail and thrown away the key long ago if half those rules existed here. 

Only in some places, Jeremy.  The fact that the SWAT team hasn't come is proof that there's not one where I live. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

Jeremy, I am surprised that you do not have similar situations there.  Do they not have gated or planned communities?  We own a house in Texas that has an HOA (home owner's association) with a bunch of rules.  As a absentee landlord, I like them because they help sustain property values.  However, I would not want to live there, so I guess I would not want to rent the house from me.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »

Jeremy, I am surprised that you do not have similar situations there.  Do they not have gated or planned communities?  We own a house in Texas that has an HOA (home owner's association) with a bunch of rules.  As a absentee landlord, I like them because they help sustain property values.  However, I would not want to live there, so I guess I would not want to rent the house from me.

There are gated communities here, but they are comparatively rare. My parents live in a 'wealthy' town and I know there are a number of gated communities there, but certainly none where I live. I've always regarded them as being a rather unpleasant phenomenon actually - literally a rich man's ghetto.

Certainly many properties here have covenants on them covering things like how high fences can be and whether you're allowed to run a business from the property. I've no idea who's job it is to enforce such things though, and I've never heard of it happening. I think the town council would get involved if a property owner was causing an obvious issue which was impacting on his neighbours, but the idea of a council policing things like whether you've cut your lawn or whether your car is worth less than $500 seems bizarre.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:57 PM »

Marc.. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the big town of Matthews.. You've got my cell number so if it ends up getting deep and you need a place to park it for awhile, give me a call.. I've got plenty of secluded private land here where you are more than welcome to park and nobody will say a word...and you'll still be within 30 minutes or so away from your home..

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »

Down here is Boca Raton FL. There is a ritzy HOA that, on top of the regular crap (no RVs, no trucks, no cars outside, etc) do not let you paint the INSIDE of your house without their blessing. Now top this!.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »

Marilyn's sister and bro-in-law live in a place like that.  I call it a prison - its got gates and guards after all.  I hate going there.  Gotta get permission to get by the gate, can't park on the street.  They can't park in their own bloody driveway.  There's only 6 designs and 300 houses in the whole damn mess.  They had to get permission and approval to landscape the yard.  I wouldn't live there if you paid me to.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »

Jeremy-- it is bizarre, but none the less exists.

Bob-- I'm sure you would consider it if they paid you enough.  I would!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: