Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 01:59:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being threatened by city of Matthews, NC  (Read 5993 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »

Marc.. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the big town of Matthews.. You've got my cell number so if it ends up getting deep and you need a place to park it for awhile, give me a call.. I've got plenty of secluded private land here where you are more than welcome to park and nobody will say a word...and you'll still be within 30 minutes or so away from your home..

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Thank you very much for that generous offer!  Wow, that's what I tell people about busnuts... When you are in need they line up to help. 

Hopefully I can charm my way out of this little threat but I might just take you up on that offer if it comes to it.

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »

Have you thought about going to the local big RV lot and pretend that you are interested in one of their big rigs but the town of Matthews seems to have a problem with you parking one there. I am sure they will tell you that this should not be a problem. Then maybe you can ask them if they have any info you could check out that would stand up in court and see where it goes. They might have some info that would be of help to you.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »

are you a member of Escapees?  They love to get into this stuff with their legal stuff.  i think the same with FMCA.  Always happy to have  an instance to win and prove thier worth.

Just a suggestion.  try it out.  Hope it helps.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »

Jeremy-- A little out of the way, but we have been following the exploits of Tom Barnaby.  It seems that HOA's are not the worst problems a neighborhood can have.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »

Marilyn's sister and bro-in-law live in a place like that.  I call it a prison - its got gates and guards after all.  I hate going there.  Gotta get permission to get by the gate, can't park on the street.  They can't park in their own bloody driveway.  There's only 6 designs and 300 houses in the whole damn mess.  They had to get permission and approval to landscape the yard.  I wouldn't live there if you paid me to.

There is a city locally that used to be a gated city.  They actually had a guard house at the front gate with a guard for quite a few years.  The gates were removed at least twenty years ago.

Property ownership and governement's role in the city is very different.  Property lines extend to center of the road so homeowners own the road in front of their house.  The entire city is in a single large HOA.  All roads are privately owned and taken care of by the HOA.  The HOA owns and maintains all parks and recreation areas in the city.  City government owns no property in the city.

The city's only roles are to provide water/sewer to some homes, police, fire, and emergency management.  Fire is contracted from a local fire dept and police service is contracted from the sheriff.  City water is supplied by a neighboring city.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »

What is being recounted in this thread is why I moved. If they bother me much where I am now, I'll move again.  You can't fight 'em. Most folks think it fine. Just move. Those of us that work, pay the taxes & furnish them money. De-fund them & they dry up & blow away. It takes a while, but it will happen. Read "Atlas Shrugged"

I know Marc is getting ready to move; I was just making the point.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »

I would like to move out into a more rural area with minimal or no building restrictions, but the housing market keeps me locked into my current house for now.  I have a desire to build a bus garage which I can't due here due to zoning regulations.  I don't really have the room on my 1/3 acre lot anyhow.

The ever increasing cost of gas is starting to put a damper on my desire to sell my house and move.  Increasing my commute from 25 miles a day to 80 miles a day is a pretty big hit in the wallet.  I would also spend at least an extra hour a day on the road.  The state has said they basically are not going to build any more new highways or even widen add any more lanes due to lack of money so congestion will get worse and worse.  One thing about living more rural is I wouldn't be jumping in the car to go to the store or whatever as often.  I would need to plan more and do any shopping or errands on my way home.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 09:18:01 PM »

Cities love it when you move. The next guy that buys your house pays more taxes and buy new stuff for the house at local stores to make your house their own. So selling a house and having a new owner is a win win for the city. they like turnover. Cool

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2012, 02:11:48 AM »

Jeremy-- A little out of the way, but we have been following the exploits of Tom Barnaby.  It seems that HOA's are not the worst problems a neighborhood can have.

I had to Google Tom Barnaby to find out who he was. Apparently (and I believe this is an official statistic) Britain leads the world in exporting TV shows and TV show formats to the rest of the world. Well - it's a form of manufacturing I suppose.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 05:31:37 AM »

Cities love it when you move. The next guy that buys your house pays more taxes and buy new stuff for the house at local stores to make your house their own. So selling a house and having a new owner is a win win for the city. they like turnover. Cool

The property taxes don't change here in Minnesota when a house is sold.  In today's housing market the property taxes may actually go down if the house sells for less than the assessed value and the new owner challenges the assessed value.

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »

The property taxes don't change here in Minnesota when a house is sold.  In today's housing market the property taxes may actually go down if the house sells for less than the assessed value and the new owner challenges the assessed value.

Maryland either. Besides, I formally lived adjacent to a wildlife refuge. They didn't want us there anyway. They have now made the law so restrictive nobody wants to move there. Eventually all that land will be bought by the government which removes it from the tax roles. That means no money at all for Maryland. That's fine with me!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

Well the good news is that the city is now off my case about the bus... Er... I mean RV... Grin

The bad news is they are now on my butt about the box truck I bought so we could get ready to move.   Angry 

I think I am going to just pull it around back of the house and hope they don't go peeking. 

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:25 AM »

As someone mentioned earlier, most inspector visits are in response to complaints.  I imagine the percentage of cases resulting from inspectors cruising in search of violations is rather small.  That would apply to your truck.  If you have a neighbor that is out to get you, you will have another visit.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »

I doubt it's a next door neighbor.  I think it all started with the kid on the bike.  My next door neighbors should know that the best way to get rid of us is to let us get that box truck loaded and leave! LOL.  But if I get a complaint about it being in the back yard, I will know it's one of them because only they would be able to see it.

ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »

Give the code enforcement guy a little slack.  On a NC title the type of vehicle is listed as "HC".  He may not understand that stands for Housecar, ie. motorhome.  If you hear from him I would ask him how to contact his supervisor and his supervisor's supervisor.  He may not know what "HC" means.  But on the other hand he may have checked out what you told him and has gone away.  I hope so.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: