Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 02:39:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas insurance  (Read 1737 times)
dukegrad98

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »

Whew, just got quotes back from my local Allstate agent for Bob and Judy's '89 Prevost.  Maximum liability coverage is surprisingly cheap.  Adding collision and comp increases the premium by 1000% or more depending on deductible, no exaggeration. 

Anyone have tips for insuring a good coach in Texas?  I much prefer to deal with a person instead of a website, but I need to get this thing covered before we bring it home next week.  Thanks --

Cheers, John
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »

John, we're with State Farm, insured for a stated amount, no issues.  Fair disclosure, it's an older coach, so we didn't set an extraordinarily high value. 

We're in the Dallas area, where in Texas will you be.  You may see other posts suggesting that folks post their coach and location, as part of their signature line (see mine for an example).  You never know when someone is nearby, especially when you need help.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »

Thanks, Arthur, and good suggestion -- I just edited my profile to include my location:  Tyler, Texas.  Greetings from behind the pine curtain, as I say.  Smiley  I'll try giving my local State Farm agent a call as well.

John
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:54:04 AM »

Sent you a pm: Try farmbureau. Allstate wouldn't take Andy's toterhome but they would. Allstate has the 89 but they say their rules have changed about taking new customers on. Unless you threaten to take your complete insurance business else where.. ::)Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »

Robert may have a good point there.  State Farm has our house, flood, both cars, our business policy, and my business life insurance, which also means that we get multiple-policy discounts on some stuff.  I don't know if its better to put everything with one company/agent, but that's been my practice.

Arthur

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »

John, while i'm sure that the bus you are getting is in excellant shape <DON NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT TOW AND ROADSIDE INSURANCE !!!!!!!!! I usd Good Sams platinum and have used it several times. No problems. Cost less than $150.00 a year and is less than one tire repair call. Call me if you need help.

Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »

I agree you never know when something is going to fail. Great now-bad next second. I try to keep one step ahead but you never know. Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »

Good thoughts on roadside assistance coverage.  As luck would have it, I'm already a AAA "Plus RV" level member.  This all stems back to a time when my family was left stranded a hundred miles from nowhere on a road trip in our SUV.  The flatbed tow to the nearest dealership was over 100 miles, back in the wrong direction, and cost me about $500.  This membership includes tows up to 100 miles at no cost, and free tire changes.  I should probably call and check on the coach thing -- it does say "RV," but I want to be sure they will handle the Prevost.  Otherwise, the Good Sam website looks like a good option as well. 

Meanwhile, my regular insurance guy here has finally come up with a pretty good insurance quote.  It's not quite as cheap as some of the stuff people have posted or sent me by PM, but it includes maximum liability protection and really low ($250) deductibles on comprehensive and collision, along with some "freebie" minor coverages like $2k in personal effects if they are damaged, etc.  Since the coach will be parked, locked, and left on my rural property at times, the comprehensive coverage is important to me -- just in case some trespasser or hooligan walks across my ranch and decides to knock out the windows or whatever.  I was planning to eventually extend a shed roof off the shop to cover the bus, but maybe I'll ultimately enclose some additional space someday -- that's all future planning.

John
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:19:11 PM by dukegrad98 » Logged
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »

Progressive is the best company for bus conversions, they understand them.

The other companies sometimes treat them like illegal vehicles!

Allstate and State Farm are probably the two worst insurance companies in the country based on Consumer Reports articles about them in the past 10 years

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »

I use Allstate and it is very cheap. I have not made a claim with them so I do not know how that will play out if ever needed. I do have there RV tow service and it is only $99 a year. It covers the bus, cars, motorcycle and boat. Now I have used the service.t. Two separate times for tires and one tow from when I bottomed out on a culvert. That would have been $500. When I used them for the tires it was easier to shop on line then have them bring the tires to the driveway to change then to take the bus and wait at the shop. No problems either time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:37:08 PM by eddiepotts » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »

If you have ever been in the service USAA Insurance is the best you can have in Texas my grandson has us on his policy with the Trek full coverage no deductible for glass 500 deductible for accidents, 250/500/250 full replacement (50,000) all for 195.00 dollars a year it was his present to his grandmother and by the way we have AZ plates with Texas insurance and AZ is happy with deal

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »

We are with USAA for the Jeep. Progressive through USAA would not touch the bus! So we stayed with State Farm. I'm still pursing Progressive, someone is not in the know evidently!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »

My progressive policy is written through
PoliSeek AIS Insurance Solutions, Inc. | 866-500-7335

BUT when i "garaged" in Texas they would not write/honor Roadside Assistance (in 2005,which I needed), so 24 hours later I "garaged" in
Alaska (I had homes in both places...) they switched my policy (where it remains) and took care of my Roadside tire needs that following morning....
works for me.... Smiley

PS I have not spoken with Poliseek since they wrote my policy in 2004,I pay progressive online.
When i bought it they were named something else.....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:41:37 PM by eagle19952 » Logged

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
rip

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 05:55:51 AM »

I have GMAC insurance through Good Sam.I had my bus towed once and the service was great.Last June  I had a hail damage claim and to say the least it has been a nightmare dealing with them.I finally got my bus to the paint shop,but I am still waiting for my check.Once everything is done I will be finding a different insurance company.
   Don
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 06:10:10 AM »

When I called USAA they referred me to Progressive. I then told Progressive what was on the Title which is 1995 MCI 102D3 motorhome, They insured it even though the lady said I have never heard of that model before.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »

My bus is insured through a smaller company called Secura that also insures my car and my house along with umbrella liability.  My agent has tried to get me coverage through a cheaper carrier, but he can't find anyone else who will cover the bus.  I haven't spent much time looking for another insurance company.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »

I had my 4104 insured with USAA. When I tried to insure the 4107 they referred me to Progressive. I don't think USAA insures MHs but maybe it is only buses. Anyway, Progressive insured my 4107 in about 15 minutes and they are a pleasure to deal with. Apparently USAA and Progressive have a working agreement of some kind.

USAA also won't insure any truck over one ton.

Bus insurance is not road service insurance, they are two different things. My road emergency insurance is with Good Sam and they have come through every time including all my other owned vehicles.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »

To be perfectly clear, Progressive has sent me Roadside Service,(tires x2, and 3 axle wrecker tow from Mexia,Tx to Oakwood, Tx. From Abilene to Blackwell Tx. and from Somewhere to Santa Rosa, NM>
I am happy with Progressive's in house E.R.S.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »

You guys must not have enough rank lol Doyle had USAA on his Eagle,both the wife's son in law and grandson have USAA on their Allegro MH's and it is not through Progressive neither is ours it through some co in Tenn

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »

USAA insured my 4104 beginning in '05 and it was grandfathered in as long as I kept it current. However, as of Dec '10 they aren't accepting any new coverage on buses.

I assume this applies to MHs also but don't know for sure.

I have five other vehicles insured with them and have been with them for 57 years!

I'm not sure there is any reason to go to Progressive via USAA. I gave all the info on the 4107 to USAA and then I was connected to Progressive where I had to start all over, very frustrating, but Progressive was great and gave me no problems whatsoever. Friendliest people I ever dealt with and not nearly as bureaucratic as USAA - surprise, surprise! More expensive though.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  I guess I would be USAA eligible since my father is a veteran, but he has never used them and I never have either.  My independent agent here wound up getting me covered with Progressive.  Maximum liability, and very low ($250) deductibles on comp and collision.  I will admit that I had a very negative experience with Progressive about ten years ago, when the best sports car I ever owned was demolished by a Progressive-covered 18-wheeler up in Michigan.  Such is insurance; they're all great until you need them, then they all pretty much suck...

My guys are picking up the coach today.  I'll be very excited to get it home tomorrow and finally have my first personal look at it! 

Cheers, John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:37:58 PM by dukegrad98 » Logged
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »

It is like my motorcycle. I have had motorcycle insurance withn them since way back. Now all I do is call to change it when I buy a new one. They no longer insure motorcycles for new customers. I got my bus after they stopped doing motorhomes but people who had it before are grandfathered and will continue to get it from USAA.  Rod

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »

Allstate dropped any motorhome coverage in North Carolina (according to the letter I received about 2009).  I was fully covered for my car and liability only (while I was working on conversion) for my bus.  I took all my business away from them (including home).  I shopped Progressive -- it took them over 45 minutes on the phone to decline coverage on my bus.  I called Geico and got car, home, and bus (liability only) coverage in 10 minutes.

I don't know if Progressive didn't like my bus, the fact I'm in NC (our insurance Board drives away a lot of business), or other reason (I'm 63, had one "5 MPH over" ticket in 20 years, only accident in 30 years was being hit by a drunk driver being chased by the police at 120 MPH).  Anyway, the only people I could find who would cover me are Geico.  I'm dreading the prospect of dealing with their "customer service" if I ever need them; I'm guessing that they'll be really bad.

I'm guessing that won't help for Texas but it was my experience here.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »

I don't know if Progressive didn't like my bus.....

Do you think that the double decker city traffic people moving @ 40km/h stop and go design might have skeert them off.... Grin

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »

I don't know if Progressive didn't like my bus.....

Do you think that the double decker city traffic people moving @ 40km/h stop and go design might have skeert them off.... Grin

Well, yeah! 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:58 PM »

Progressive wouldn't cover my bus because it's not a professional conversion.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Bussman84
My first love is my 1961 Int. Skoolie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:57 PM »

FWIW, last September I got progressive Ins. on my MC-9. Took some talking and explaining on my part to explain that it was NOT a school bus they would not touch a school bus. They would do a charter over the road bus both professional and non-professional conversion since mine is non-professional I had to take pictures to prove that it had RV  accomodations (stove or microwave, fridge, plumbing, cant remember what else), but once I got through to them the specifics it was no problem in order to get the E.R.S. and towing package I had to go with full coverage wouldn't add tow package to liability. Full coverage with tow and estimated $25,000 coverage is aprox. $450.00 a year. Hope this might help......

Billy

1961 Int. Skoolie 345v-8 w/4spd.
1979 MC-9 8v71 HT740
Southcentral, Kansas
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: