Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 06:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use stretchy rope to tow out a stuck heavy vehicle  (Read 9870 times)
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 11:50:55 AM »

I've seen so many vehicles destroyed trying to cross pismo creek its ridiculous - IF you ever go there park north of the creek and hike in - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »

And you are absolutely correct, getting stuck in soft sand is really something else. Have to send BK to Glamis or Pismo Beach sometime.

Richard I've been to both! I've been on the beachs in NY, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TX, OR, WA and inland beachs around the Great Lakes and many others too! If there's water I'm drawn too it!

But I've never left a vehicle stuck!!! I've had to call in for proper equipment after being lied to before I left out on a job such as someone telling me it's just a small camper right off the road barley stuck! But when ya get there it's a Prevost and a toad baried to the chasis 200 yards from the road or such. Off road recovery callers usually come clean when I tell them look I'm only gonna bring the equipment required to do what you describe to me, and if I get there and it's totally different I'll call in for proper equipment & the clock will run on all equipment until the job is done! ANd if they don't (or won't) pay up when done we get the sheriif out there and impound the vehicle until all fees are paid including the impound & storage fees! After being told that they usually tell us it's yada yada yada too be sure the job is able to be done fast, easy & cheap as possible!

I've done sand recoveries too we have an awesome Off Road Recreation Area in LBL (land between the lakes) call Turkey Bay that has ALL types of terrain a person could want all in 1 place! And yes I've even had my own four wheel drive I built just for going back into the back woods/waters of Turkey Bay stuck after trailering it there behind a wrecker to do a job! But B4 I left everything we were after was unstuck!

If an experienced operator nows the correct information at the time a call is made for help he can (and should) bring the right equipment to do the job right the first time! Also if an operator is experinced he should have an idea what to ask as soon as the person tells him where they are stuck! Like me usually I never go to Turkey Bay without towing the Bronco with 3/4 ton axles  513 gears w/air locking differentails, 48" Super Swamper tires, 12,000 # winch front and rear, 460 V8 bored & stroked to 512 CU with a pair of Predator carbs on top, a toploader 4 speed, with a transfer case out of a 5 ton military truck mated to it! I've only stuck it once, but it took 2 wreckers, and a D9 dozer to drag the wreckers in and out and also pull while the wreckers did to get it out! And I shouldn't admit this but I stuck it while playing on a family outting and was showing off and had to leave it stuck overnight (we were camped out there anyway) and call for our wreckers the next day and had to have a friend bring his dozer tobe sure we could get the wreckers in and out without damage! Trust me it took a while to live that 1 down!

Have you ever tried to retrieve a motor home on a beach with the tide coming in and the M/H actually with the wheels covered in ocean?
In this case the wrecker actually had two big truck tires and he backed up on them to try and keep the wrecker from sliding back down the sand dune while he used his winch, but to no avail.

We were able to retrieve the motor home with the tow line. Fortunately it was a front engine M/H so that it could keep going after we got it started. We then towed it all the way to the beach entrance ramp as the wet sand was all covered with water and we had to get out over the dry dune sand.
Over the years I saw several vehicles inundated with the incoming tide. Not really a pretty picture.
Richard

Again Richard if the wrecker operator knew the whole story at the time of the call an experinced operator would've brought the proper equipment ! I have oversized chock blocks. that when hooked to the tail board of the wrecker they will eventually stop that truck from moving! I once was pulling a bobtail semi tractoer out of the sand and baried the tow truck donw to where the tail board was digging in but I got him unstuck and drove out too!

Also you wanna see stuck just let my buddy Dan and his friends get to drinking while they are working on building a pond or a levee on a farm and see how bad they can stick a D9 or track hoe or any other piece of equipment (or all of them on the job) B4 calling for help! (works out good when I need a dozer or such! LOL!)

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 01:16:01 PM »

This is my military tow strap it strecthes about it's length, and I also have some heavy duty recovery straps made just for the towing industry! one of them is 18" wide and 12' long! But I use this one the most! Like I said if the military uses 'm they most be tough! I know I've neve had a problem with it! BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 03:44:31 PM »

That looks like the right material if it doubles in length when stretched, but it needs to be 10 times longer to do the job that has been discussed. Saw many like yours that were totally useless in the deep soft sand.
Richard

This is my military tow strap it strecthes about it's length, and I also have some heavy duty recovery straps made just for the towing industry! one of them is 18" wide and 12' long! But I use this one the most! Like I said if the military uses 'm they most be tough! I know I've neve had a problem with it! BK

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 03:52:17 PM »

Richard I've been to both! I've been on the beachs in NY, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TX, OR, WA and inland beachs around the Great Lakes and many others too! If there's water I'm drawn too it!

Being there and actually working on the extremely soft and deep sand on the beach is a lot different. I have no doubt that you have done this, but at either Glamas or Pismo the proper equipment that you are talking about is hundreds of miles away.

But I've never left a vehicle stuck!!! I've had to call in for proper equipment after being lied to before I left out on a job such as someone telling me it's just a small camper right off the road barley stuck! But when ya get there it's a Prevost and a toad baried to the chasis 200 yards from the road or such. Off road recovery callers usually come clean when I tell them look I'm only gonna bring the equipment required to do what you describe to me, and if I get there and it's totally different I'll call in for proper equipment & the clock will run on all equipment until the job is done! ANd if they don't (or won't) pay up when done we get the sheriif out there and impound the vehicle until all fees are paid including the impound & storage fees! After being told that they usually tell us it's yada yada yada too be sure the job is able to be done fast, easy & cheap as possible!

The proper equipment that you describe is literally not available, at least not in time to prevent it being totally inundated by the ocean.

I've done sand recoveries too we have an awesome Off Road Recreation Area in LBL (land between the lakes) call Turkey Bay that has ALL types of terrain a person could want all in 1 place! And yes I've even had my own four wheel drive I built just for going back into the back woods/waters of Turkey Bay stuck after trailering it there behind a wrecker to do a job! But B4 I left everything we were after was unstuck!
If an experienced operator nows the correct information at the time a call is made for help he can (and should) bring the right equipment to do the job right the first time! Also if an operator is experinced he should have an idea what to ask as soon as the person tells him where they are stuck! Like me usually I never go to Turkey Bay without towing the Bronco with 3/4 ton axles  513 gears w/air locking differentails, 48" Super Swamper tires, 12,000 # winch front and rear, 460 V8 bored & stroked to 512 CU with a pair of Predator carbs on top, a toploader 4 speed, with a transfer case out of a 5 ton military truck mated to it! I've only stuck it once, but it took 2 wreckers, and a D9 dozer to drag the wreckers in and out and also pull while the wreckers did to get it out! And I shouldn't admit this but I stuck it while playing on a family outting and was showing off and had to leave it stuck overnight (we were camped out there anyway) and call for our wreckers the next day and had to have a friend bring his dozer tobe sure we could get the wreckers in and out without damage! Trust me it took a while to live that 1 down!

Due to the layout at Pismo I doubt if you could even get the equipment you are talking about in there when the tide is partially in even it it was available. All that is available in those areas are regular automotive wreckers, and they do not stand a chance in many cases. Many times they are successful, but the few times that they are not is what always created the major problems.
 Richard

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 04:02:40 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2006, 07:12:08 PM »

Here's my tow rope Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2006, 07:25:25 PM »

Craig,
Your rope looks to be just a tad short. Grin

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2006, 07:32:29 PM »

My family and I spent a lot of time every summer at Pismo during the 80's before they closed so much of it down and started restricting the number of campers allowed.

Like you we saw an awful lot of vehicles damaged either by getting out too far or trying to cross the creek. We always timed our arrival and departure for close to dead low tide and never had any problem getting in or out. Then driving as fast as we could we would make a dash for the dunes and go till we got stuck. That was where we then camped and used the magic rope to get us out when we were ready to depart. Lots of fun in those good ole days. Sand rails with paddle tires and lots of three wheelers. Before the day of the four wheeler.
Richard

I've seen so many vehicles destroyed trying to cross pismo creek its ridiculous - IF you ever go there park north of the creek and hike in - FWIW

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 07:50:48 PM »

Your rope looks to be just a tad short. Grin

I like true bumper-to-bumper pulling power  Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 07:58:37 PM »

Craig I'm on dialup so your pix took forever to load.  As I was watching the expanse of tabletop unfold I was expecting to see a AAA card appear.  That's my towrope - GoodSam card in my wallet.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »

Wouldn't be of much help to you if you are stuck at waters edge and the tide is coming in and the nearest heavy duty towing place is hours away, if they would even consider going out on the beach. Most tow trucks will not. Especially if they are not four wheel drive.
Richard

Craig I'm on dialup so your pix took forever to load.  As I was watching the expanse of tabletop unfold I was expecting to see a AAA card appear.  That's my towrope - GoodSam card in my wallet.

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 04:34:28 AM »

Sorry for the large photo. I should have cropped it. I'll do that tonight and reedit the post if I don't forget about it.

BTW, those are Starburst candies next to it.

This was a remnamt of 1" rope I had from the last time I built a tow rope for myself.

Anyone know where I can buy nylon rope in 1" - 2" sizes?  I've considered making some up for sale. There are a lot of
hunters around here who don't know much about getting unstuck once they leave the blacktop.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 04:52:11 AM »

Sure is a pretty weaving job Gumpy. What are starburst candles?
Richard

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 05:07:11 AM »

CAND-I-E-S, not cand-L-E-S.  You eat them, not burn them.   Roll Eyes

Starburst fruit chews. Makes mouths happy!  or some such advertisement....  Cheesy

Thanks for the compliment. That's something I picked up a long time ago. Dates back to my sheep docking days when I was in Junior High School. I watched a Mexican sheep herder repair a hemp rope on a tarp one morning. I had never seen anything like it. That evening, when I got home, I got a couple pieces of rope and played with it till I figured it out. A couple years later, we did a whole section on ropes and knots in Vo-Ag class. I used to know a lot about knots used for climbing and rescue and such, but sadly, I haven't used it much in the last couple decades, and most of it's gone. Braiding is kind of like riding a bicycle, though.

BTW, a quick search turned up one place online that sells 3 strand nylon rope by the foot. 1" = $2.75 (22,600 lbs breaking strength), 1 1/2" = $6.45 (53,000 lbs), 2" = $10.75 (92,000 lbs).  If anyone would like a towrope made up, contact me offline. I might could be convinced to braid up a line and ship it to you. You could attach your own chain and hook.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 05:27:58 AM »

I found the best thing to use to attach the rope is a clevis I think it is called. About 3/4 inch round steel shaped like a big U with a place to screw a bolt thru it. Must be big enough to go thru the loop in the rope and then around the rope after you have looped it around a tow point.

BTW, I usually use my butane torch to melt the individual strands of the rope until they melt into a solid mass. Keeps them from unravelling.
Richard

CAND-I-E-S, not cand-L-E-S.  You eat them, not burn them.   Roll Eyes

Starburst fruit chews. Makes mouths happy!  or some such advertisement....  Cheesy

Thanks for the compliment. That's something I picked up a long time ago. Dates back to my sheep docking days when I was in Junior High School. I watched a Mexican sheep herder repair a hemp rope on a tarp one morning. I had never seen anything like it. That evening, when I got home, I got a couple pieces of rope and played with it till I figured it out. A couple years later, we did a whole section on ropes and knots in Vo-Ag class. I used to know a lot about knots used for climbing and rescue and such, but sadly, I haven't used it much in the last couple decades, and most of it's gone. Braiding is kind of like riding a bicycle, though.

BTW, a quick search turned up one place online that sells 3 strand nylon rope by the foot. 1" = $2.75 (22,600 lbs breaking strength), 1 1/2" = $6.45 (53,000 lbs), 2" = $10.75 (92,000 lbs).  If anyone would like a towrope made up, contact me offline. I might could be convinced to braid up a line and ship it to you. You could attach your own chain and hook.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: