Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 08:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use stretchy rope to tow out a stuck heavy vehicle  (Read 9459 times)
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »

If anyone would like to have a big rope, I'll make an offer to weave eyes in one for cost, plus a few bucks for beer  Wink .

I found a supplier that will sell me cut lengths of rope (min 200 ft) for $1.95/ft for 1 1/4" (33,800 lbs test), $2.75/ft for 1 1/2" (47,800 lbs test). Safe working load is 10%-15% of test. I can get 1" and 2", also.
I will weave the loops. Ataching clevises and chain, will be up to the buyer. You decide how long you want it.
You can contact me offline if interested.
craig
I would advise not going up to the larger sizes as I believe you would lose the elastic stretch quality that is the secret of the operation.
Richard

I think the elongation characteristic (Elastic Stretch) is a function of materials and construct, Not Size

YMMV

Jim
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2006, 03:03:05 PM »

Anyone have any idea of how much pull is exerted to pull out a 40,000 lb stuck in the sand bus?  Its only pulling it, not lifting it.

DML, maybe that's related to a 3000 lb Toyota truck doing 20 miles an hour in order to pul your stuff out.

Wonder where Clarke Echols is when we need him? LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: