Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 08:56:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy idea for old unwanted conversions? Keep them in use!  (Read 4843 times)
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 06:04:23 AM »

Our provincial parks which have super camping facilities have also recently started renting out basic 'cabins' called yurts.
Campers provide their own bed and bedding, kitchen utensils, toilet paper... pretty much everything. Only the structure and a refrigerator are provided. Simple, self-supporting, with indoor plumbing (toilet and sinks)  and one 15amp receptacle.

The yurts here have ribbed steel roofs for longevity, although there are many variation ( check Google ). Relatively cheap to erect, and really popular with campers. They are reserved a year or more in advance.

........If you build it, they will come....................it happened here!

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »

Thats the ticket Mark, we rent out the park models in St. George that way. We are looking at the yurts, PMs, RVs and cabins of all shapes and sizes. I like the bus idea so we are setting 7 sites aside and see what comes of it. Hey if nothing else maybe someone will laugh in my face. ; }

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
crown

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »

mike go for it but keep it simple like the guy in az retro flat screens cd players ect and do a theme maybe
  a grayhound  theme  there is a guy heer in costarica that put a old army [ i think ] plane up on a bluff
overlooking the ocean the cabin hangs over the side no frills  bedroom bath and a sitting area i have been
told its hard to get a reservation and its big bucks plus there is a resterant that has a dc3 in side he bought it at airport sale and got a aircraft school to remove the moters cut the wings off plus other stuff to get it inside
then the school to put it back and make flyable in other words the winges are back on and it could fly they even
fired it up and checked it all out the plane is vip dinning and the school and students wher very happy so
go for it crazy stuff people go nuts over good luck john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 07:27:33 PM »

Wasn't Kyle looking to find a home for a senicruiser or two a while back?  And there is a guy that just showed up on the other board that has a driveable 4104 shell that he doesn't know what he is going to do with since he just bought a converted 4106 or 07. Wink

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

Great words John, i think I saw that one on hist or disc channel.

Hey Ed, let me know if you find out who he is. Can you smell the cinn rolls?

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 05:37:30 AM »

Mike,

Go for it!  On our Utah trip last year(sorry we didn't stop--went in Jeep-Bus not ready) we stayed in Tucumcari at the Blue Swallow Motel.  While it is not busses or train cars, it is nostalgia. They only have 16 units I think, and the price was competetive with the big name hotels, but with all the charm and nostalgia of old RT 66.  You don't need thousands of customers to be successful.  A good internet site, and a few reviews in travel magazines/travel websites is all you need to get the ball rolling.  There are also busnut wannabes that would come (again as long as the price is competitive with a cabin rental or discount motel.)

Since these busses wouldn't have to be roadworthy, you could build/modify the interiors to be like park models w/all electric, no holding tanks, etc to simplify maintenance.  Spend the money making the outside look very good, and the inside durable. 

Just my thoughts!

Steve Toomey

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »

Just think of the possibilities for using the space in the engine compartment w/o eng/trans.

Huge slide out grill or smoker, storage, rear entry way & steps or wheel chair ramp, HOT TUB!?!?!
I say go for it.
And shoot if you just start out with some shells you can out fit them modern and anyway you want!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »

In a recent Texas Monthly magazine, the was an article on a park that has old "vintage" travel trailers as a motel. It is in Marfa, at the end of the world, and is booked up. On an aside, when I blew up my 4905 engine in Terlingua last November, I sold it to the High
Sierra bar, grill and hotel. It is set up and being used for a rental condo. Much better than scrapping.

Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 07:21:46 AM »

Do board members get priority parking when visiting?  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »

Mike,

Not that you'd be doing this with Buses....but if you put your mind to it - Anything is possible.

As others have stated - If you take the time and do it right, it would be a pretty cool thing to do. 

And - If we had a bus rally there, family and friends that are non-bus owners would have a place to stay Smiley

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »

Yeah, More good comments. The I think about and hear your points of view, I am loving this more and more! Now I just need some............ Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »

Bob, we love Busses and board members can come too. M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »

Michel, check the Eagles board, could be your first high rollers suite.
Matt

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 04:43:07 PM »

If any still have their destination signs box in them, you could get the roller printed (there is a company that still does this, anything you want on it to fit your box)up to say example,"Hollywood & Vine", "Boston Garden", "Fenway Park", "Broadway", etc then you could add to the inside with something that might be from that area or theme!

Dave5Cs

Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 08:38:04 PM »

Well, it seams like a good idea Smiley NO TAKERS YET
M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS