Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:11:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo performance  (Read 1619 times)
freebird

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »

How do you know when the turbo is not performing at peak or rather when does it need to be rebuilt?
I have a 6V92TA and the max boost pressure I get is about 5PSI. Is that normal? The engine seems a little sluggish.

Marc
Eagle 10
Indiana
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:52:29 PM »

That is not normal.
I have a 8v92TA in a '78 Eagle 05. I can get 27 lbs in a climb pretty easy. Mine is boosting 6 lbs or so in easy cruise.
It may not be the turbo. Leaks are common after the turbo and a small one will cause a huge loss of boost.
Do you have black smoke on acceleration?
Can you hear a whine?
Is the exhaust leaking so bad that there is limited drive for the turbo?
Look in the inlet and exhaust side of the turbo and see if the stators are damaged or missing.
If there is no oil running out the exhaust pipe the turbo seal is probably OK. If it wasn't it would probably self destruct in a short while anyway.
What injectors are you running? Is the throttle delay correctly adjusted? Could have a rack delay also.
Also, you could as a good mechanic to look at it for you. I agree something is wrong.
Don't mean to answer your inquiry with a lot of questions but that's how we arrive at solutions.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 03:55:05 PM by akroyaleagle » Logged

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
freebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:33:36 PM »

Thanks Joe, I do get black smoke with accleration but not a lot. No oil is coming out the exhaust.
I did find a leak because of a broken clamp between the 2 (turbo)wheels which was bleeding off a lot of exhaust.
I just put new exhaust manifolds on and they look tight even after a trip from Indiana to Missippi.

Marc
Indiana
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:19:20 AM »

here's a post rom the "old Mak Board"

Posted by David Anderson (66.90.192.90) on March 21, 2006 at 19:57:55:

In Reply to: what is typical two stroke turbo boost pressure? posted by Greg Peterson on March 20, 2006 at 21:27:29:

I get 18psi @2100rpm @80mph on my 6v92. The gauge sending tube is attached on top of the blower at a 1/4" npt pipe port.

I've been told this is a good reading at that road speed. If the pressure declines at that speed, it is time to change the fuel filter.

David Anderson

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »

In reading this post again I realize I overlooked the obvious.
I assumed the gauge and the plumbing to it were in good order. That could be the problem.
What does a "little sluggish" mean? Elaborate on this a little.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
freebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 06:25:58 PM »

By sluggish I am judging by the seat of my pants. Not very scientific I know. I am also comparing performance to my former 8V71 in a 72 Eagle.(non turbo and 4 speed stick)
 I just put new fuel filters in.
I am anxious to get the clamp fixxed.Quite a bit of exhaust was leaking which I presume would cause a big drop in performance.
I havn't opened it up all the way but it will run an easy 75mph.However,it just takes a long time to get there.

Thanks for the input.

Marc
Eagle 10
Indiana   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: