Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 04:18:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Parts Fall off and things happen on the road..... The Saga Continues  (Read 2199 times)
Hartley

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2006, 04:16:36 PM »

Hi All,

Here is something that everyone who has rooftop a/c units should look at on a regular basis....

Is the Plastic cover for your rooftop a/c damaged or coming apart?

It is amazing that while running down the highway that my front a/c unit started shedding the cover in chunks...
I heard a racket but couldn't figure out what it was until I saw a 1 foot chunk fly away behind me in the mirror....

Luckily the guy on the Harley saw it coming off in bits and pieces and changed lanes behing me rapidly....

I had gone up there and thought that I had secured the remaining parts.. However the other day while
running at nearly 70 another chunk came loose and slammed into the fan blades, wrecked the whole
unit and made such a horrible noise that I dived off the highway thinking I had blown a tire...
The noise continued until I turned off the A/C unit....

So much for having a/c over the weekend, But it was cool and almost cold at times in Hoboken GA. So It
wasn't a disaster.

It is safe to say that Duo-Therm's shrouds they put on the Brisk-Air 15,000 units is a flimsy and crappy bit
of plastic, They age so fast that they are brittle within a year in the sun and prone to exploding with shards.
They are also almost impossible to find replacements for since they keep changing the design and the half metal
and half plastic is one that few aftermarket people want to deal with....

On another Story,

I while back I replaced the drivers side radiator on my MC9 and left the passenger side alone for later replacement.

Well, Yet another grand plan smashed into oblivion... As I left Georgia and was running down U.S. 1 and just as I got several miles past Hilliard Florida I stopped to get a bite to eat. Walked towards the back of the bus and there was that dreaded pink liquid running across the parking lot.

The older radiator puked one tube down near the bottom and was spewing a finger size stream of coolant.... ARGGGGHHHH...
So here I am 180 miles from home. No way to reach the ruptured tube. I went into the Winn-Dixie store and bought two bottles of black pepper and a sandwich.....

I had asked if there was an auto parts place nearby.. Uh.. NO.. There was one is Hilliard and one in Callahan and I was 6 miles away from either. Besides it was Sunday too....

I sat for about 40 minutes having lunch and thinking.... Gee what was I to do?

MC9 Radiators are not something that everyone has or everyone can afford and being so far from civilization didn't help....

I could call my wife and have her load up the spare core and tools and we could change it there but that didn't make me very happy..It would have been a 2 day job in the field..... Nahhhh.. There's gotta be a way to slow the leak...

As I started down the steps I realized that yet another grand experiment was worth trying.. So completely out of left field comes a plan.. In the bay where I had been doing some stuff I had a caulking gun with a fresh tube of Insta-Grab exterior adhesive and a 1X2 stick about 3 feet long....

So armed with Insta-Grab, Stick, Screwdriver and bottle of Black pepper the experiment was upon me...

I let the last of the coolant stop flowing. Loaded the end of the stick with a glop of adhesive and started spackling the
area of the radiator where the tube ruptured. I used almost the whole tube and made this giant white plastered area
while pressing the adhesive into the core tubes and fins..... Let that sit for about 30 minutes...

Then dumped 1/2 of the pepper into the reserve tank and filled up the tank and radiator.... It was still leaking but slower...
Hmmmm... How about a little heat, I started the engine and let it idle and circulate the pepper, The leak continued a bit more so I quickly cloed up everything, stuff the water hose in the bay and started down the road. I stopped outside of Callahan and put another 2 gallons of water in the tank. Then ran on to the autoparts place.

Added 2 bottles of Bars Leak and a quart of water... The leak had stopped completely. The water temp stayed down and I ran all the way home with the pedal on the floor at 72 mph and the temperature stayed cool.

I checked the coolant level today and it's still full.....

Now to change the other radiator and flush the system.....

Way too much Fun......

Dave.......

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 05:10:09 PM »

Hiya Dave, it may be to your benefit to go to an air conditioning shop and have them make you a sheet metal shroud. Paint it to match the coach, etc.

Just thinking out loud

Dale MC8

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 05:11:38 PM »

Explain the pepper please!
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »

Explain the pepper please!
Richard

Back in the 'Olden' days, coarse ground black pepper was used as radiator stop leak.

IHTH
Ace

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »

and it DOES work too!

from someone that has BTDI

Ace
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 05:31:28 PM »

Well, I thought I knew everything but I learned something today. LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

Black Pepper - Hillbilly Radiator Repair (aka: Redneck Radiator Repair)

It's been used since the 1920's to fix a lot of holey radiators.... Just imagine how much pepper it took
to follow Route 66.... Roll Eyes

There also was a commercial product based on ground Oatmeal that was said to work better than pepper.
someone told me it was made by Wynns but is off the market now.... Shocked

The only bad part of the pepper deal is that if you have a hunting buggy built from a 49 dodge which is basically a frame
with only a seat bolted onto it and the radiator hose blows all that hot pepper water comes flying back into your face...
Nearly caused a wreck as the driver was temporarily blinded as well as ME the passenger....Not a pretty sight...

What amazed me was that the Insta-Grab actually worked. It contains superglue and polyurethane and heat
along with moisture seems to activate it. I guess that SikaFlex would also work in that case.... Undecided

brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 04:41:21 PM »

The ingenuity of busnuts never ceases to amaze me...

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 04:53:55 PM »

Wynns radiator stop leak - super stuff - works great - special formula of ground oatmeal - I've used it for many years - never had it clog a radiator - but it almost always stops the leak

sold at automotive repair shops only or by distributers see--> http://www.wynnsusa.com/

Pete RTS/Daytona

Black Pepper - Hillbilly Radiator Repair (aka: Redneck Radiator Repair)

It's been used since the 1920's to fix a lot of holey radiators.... Just imagine how much pepper it took
to follow Route 66.... Roll Eyes

There also was a commercial product based on ground Oatmeal that was said to work better than pepper.
someone told me it was made by Wynns but is off the market now.... Shocked

The only bad part of the pepper deal is that if you have a hunting buggy built from a 49 dodge which is basically a frame
with only a seat bolted onto it and the radiator hose blows all that hot pepper water comes flying back into your face...
Nearly caused a wreck as the driver was temporarily blinded as well as ME the passenger....Not a pretty sight...

What amazed me was that the Insta-Grab actually worked. It contains superglue and polyurethane and heat
along with moisture seems to activate it. I guess that SikaFlex would also work in that case.... Undecided

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 05:18:49 PM »

This board never ceases to amaze me. I learn something every time I log on.

Pepper, now that is one I will never forget. How does it work, swell up?  Huh

Paul
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 05:54:24 PM »

It doesn't work.  For the one time that pepper or stop leak or bars leak or whatever gets someone going again there are countless times that it does nothing other than gum up the rad.  If you have a leaky rad get it fixed.  Pouring stuff in the top won't fix it. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 06:06:24 PM »

I agree with Bob.  If it leaks, fix it right.  These stop leaks and pepper too should only be used as a last resort when you are on the road trying to get somewhere. fixing it right usually means re- coring, or at least taking it apart.  The stop leak is more likely to just gum things up and create it own issues.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 06:08:19 PM »

Bob,

You must be wearing your Fuddy Duddy Costume eh?

Dave...

Seriously it does work although no on the road fix works 100% of the time.

Us Po peoples have to use whatever means at hand... I didn't have anything to lose anyway as it
was. I was 180 miles from home and in the middle of just about nowhere. I was only hoping to get
a few more miles closer to either someone that had a place that I could work on the bus or home
without burning up my engine..... So home it was....

Your grandpa apparently didn't teach you some of the simple stuff, Mine did luckily... Roll Eyes

I asked him once why he drove down the middle of the road... He replied that he would move over
if someone wanted to use the other half.....

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 06:16:27 PM »

I should have figured that I would get flak from a bunch of Prevost Weenies... Just Kidding Guys... Grin

If I could afford one of those late models I too would be like that I guess....

I have a new core, I didn't change both when I should have, Now I get to change the right side.
I just didn't want to do it in a parking lot if I could help it....

Us people that run the not-so-fancy coaches can't rely on the checkbook fix every time. But that said
I definately have better tires that either of you. Mine cost $700 each and I have 8 of them on the ground.
and that was WITH the discount..... Don't pick on me.. I am trying.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 06:25:49 PM »

Sorry if I  / we came across that way.  I do like to get things done the right way if I can, its less hassle and expense in the long run.  I admire peoople that can do a roadside fix and git er going to make it back to civilization.

I bet my fuel is better than yours though, I think I paid $3.25 a gal for what's in my tank  Shocked)

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 06:45:16 PM »

Hey relax guys - my Prevost is 25 years old.  Its got a screamin' GM in it.  I've poured guck in more radiators than most people will ever own.  And I'm here to tell you that - most of the time - its a complete waste of time and money and just makes things worse.  Whatever you pour in the top just has to be cleaned out a few days later when you fix it right.

Bottom line - pouring guck in the rad may --- repeat MAY --- get you home but it won't fix the problem.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 07:07:21 PM »

Sorry if I  / we came across that way.  I do like to get things done the right way if I can, its less hassle and expense in the long run.  I admire peoople that can do a roadside fix and git er going to make it back to civilization.

I bet my fuel is better than yours though, I think I paid $3.25 a gal for what's in my tank  Shocked)

Ouch!

I just filled my diesel van tank...@ 2.79 a gallon, Whew there's another $95 that I can't eat....
( I haven't rigged up the PowerStroke 7.3 to run it yet. ) Soon though...

I am still running most of the $3.05 a gallon stuff in the bus, But I diluted it with 90 gallons of filtered
veggie oil @ .12 a gallon (cost) so my 400 mile trip actually cost me about $50 in fuel.

My old Isuzu and Detroit doesn't care as long as it fires and makes it go... Granted it's not for everyone
but I have been running an Isuzu NPR 4-cyl turbo diesel on 100% used filtered veggie for over 6 months.

Hey, I hope that I didn't offend anyone, I would not make a good standup comedian so I am told...

I got cornered at the Hoboken Rally this past weekend to talk about veggie in front of about 50 people
without any warning... That was a tough crowd... Roll Eyes Grin Wink

Now If I can afford to buy some aluminum sheeting and some paint to slop on the old MCI
that is my next plan after the Fall and Winter rallies.. If things go as usual, something else
will upset my plans... Murphy is a Jokester.... Undecided

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 07:32:05 PM »

It doesn't work. For the one time that pepper or stop leak or bars leak or whatever gets someone going again there are countless times that it does nothing other than gum up the rad. If you have a leaky rad get it fixed. Pouring stuff in the top won't fix it.

Sometimes stop leak products do last long term (although I'm doubtful pepper, oatmeal or egg white would hold long term).  When my Toyota pickup was a lot younger, something punctured the radiator while I was on the road.  I had a bottle of stop leak and a couple gallons of water in the back.  I put in the stop leak and added water.  Being of limited means at the time I let it go and just watched for the leak to renew itself.  15 years, a couple 100,000 miles and several cooling system flushes later that leak is still patched.  As for concerns I have heard over the years that stop leak formulas will damage various parts of the system, I can only say that my Toyota pickup still has the original radiator, waterpump, heater core and engine and runs good and reliable.  A few months ago I took it on a 4000 mile adventure including crossing NM, AZ and CA on I-10 during the summer without a breakdown.

I am not saying that it will always work.  More than anything else I think it depends on the size and shape of the hole.  The potential for it cloging something else up depends on how clean and clear the system is of corrosion or deposits.

All that said, if it were on my bus, I would try a stop leak (commercial or improvised) to get it home or to a good repair location and get it taken care of.  The engines in these beasts are just too much money to risk causing a premature rebuild to be needed.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 07:41:27 PM »

I strongly suspect that the ones who preach that stop gap measures should not be tried have never been stuck on the side of Route 66 in the middle of summer in New Mexico. Back in the 50's there were not many places to get a radiator fixed and I used something in my ole 50 Mercury radiator to stop the leak until I got to California.
Richard

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 07:49:53 PM »

Does this mean mines BIGGER?  Roll Eyes see the picture... Magic.....

Sometimes if you don't try the strange and unusual you will be nagged by that little voice saying, Why didn't you try...

I have a 48 year old forklift with a Continental Flathead 6 cylinder. The head was cracked visibly almost all the way
across the top. A couple of cans or Bars Leak block sealer and it stopped leaking 4 years ago and hasn't leaked since.
The tires are so old and abused that the rubber is falling off of them in chunks but they still hold air and the 12,000 lbs
of cast iron off the ground. I call it the Pork Lift since it's so big and nasty to work on, But it runs. (sometimes!)

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 08:33:04 PM »

Regarding the photo:

Ah yes!  That model would be the MCI Hummer special edition.  Grin

Regarding the forklift:

I love it when a reliable piece of equipment defies common wisdom and just keeps on working.  Cool
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: