Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:16:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC 9 tow hitch  (Read 314 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:22:48 PM »

Started working on the tow hitch for my '87 MCI 9 tonight. Ill be towing a vehicle only...no trailer.. The only thing left to do is drill my holes, weld it together and paint it. It will get sandblasted prior to paint. I also am going to make a few shims to put on the top holes to bring it out even with the bottom. I was lucky enough to have everything I needed around the shop including an old class three hitch I bought a few years ago specifically for this project. Heres the method I used that I found in an old thread.

jjrbus:
This is a simple option. It consists of a 1/4"X6X6X54 1/4" angle iron. 1 piece of 2X2 seamless tubing and some 1/8th in strapping.
 Remove the back bumper, there will be a plate from side to side bolted into the engine rails remove the plate. Hold angle in place and mark 2 bottom  holes on each side, drill holes. Mark and drill hole for hitch pin in tubing, much easier to do befor welding on to angle. Weld tubing to center of angle iron (not on side with holes. Add support/braceing between angle and tubing  You will also need somthing to hook safety cables into(use imigination and common sense) Clean, prime and paint angle.Obtain some grade 8 bolts longer than what was holding the plate on and some washers.
 Put angle behind plate and put 2 bolts on each side. Bolts above plate will need to be shimmed 1/4" with washers. Install bumper, done!
 This setup would also lend itself well to an offset hitch. If doing it again I would use a center tube and an offset tube. Anytime you check oil, water ect you can inspect hitch mounting by simply looking down. Check all clearences, measurements ect befor proceding. I have this hitch on my 5C and has worked well for years.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: