Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:22:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install a primer pump  (Read 2959 times)
dougyes

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »

I've replaced a bunch of fuel lines and I still get air in the line, especially after the coach sits for a few days. After priming the filter it fires right up. I was thinking of installing a little fuel pump at the tank to add some boost to get it started. Can I put one inline in the fuel line? Advance Auto sells a bunch of inexpensive little fuel pumps. Any suggestions on which pump to get?
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »

I would figure out why the coach is losing prime after sitting just a few days and then worry about a pump once it is fixed.  A pump would just be a band aid and not a real fix.  My bus can sit all winter and it will fire right up after all that time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »

Checked your profile: what kind of bus do you have? Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »

102 DL3 with a series 60
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:09:49 PM »

I agree with the bandaide-my '77 AMGeneral transit bus can sit for weeks and still fires up like I ran it yesterday.
I watched Don Fairchild prime up my 8V-71 after he replaced the head to head cross fuel line.  He first disconnected one hose at a time-filled the hose with Diesel then reattached it. Then filled the fuel filters with fuel and tried to fire the engine.  He did the whole thing 4 times, then it started and kept on running.  While Don has used a primer pump on the secondary filter-which is AFTER the fuel pump-he will not use any kind of primer pump before the fuel pump.  Why-he says that the seals on the low pressure transfer pump can easily be blown out by a primer pump.  If you do put a primer pump in, only after the fuel pump-not at the tank.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
papatony

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »

Doug   some where on the line from the tank to the first filter there is a back flow valve that keeps the fuel from draining back into the tank. start looking back toward the tank it should be close to filterer.      Tony
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »

I just finished an engine swap. One post I read in the archives suggested what Tom C said. I just finished bought my pump at Oreilys. Installed before the Secondary filter and it worked fine. My system was pretty dry. Clifford also suggested the same location.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:21:27 AM »

Here is the type of pump I used.  I used the 24 volt one.  I just put it in line in the main fuel line to the primary filter, on my 8V71 I don't think there is anything that will be hurt by 10 - 14 psi for 10 seconds...   I just run it for a few seconds, you can hear when it reaches pressure and that means everything is full.  If I leave it on, the fuel pressure switch stops the engine from turning over.  I suspect that your main line check valve needs servicing.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »

(snip)   I used the 24 volt one.  I just put it in line in the main fuel line to the primary filter, on my 8V71 (snip)

Yeah, but a Series 60 is an electronic engine and they're often touchy about fuel pressure (the fuel pressure is read by a sensor and it's factored in by the computer for Start of Injection timing, Injection Quantity, etc.)  For an ordinary mechanical engine, I think a primer pump is a good idea; for an electronic engine, I'd definitely find the problem and fix it. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »

The new stuff all comes with a priming pump from the factory.

What are they doing?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »

Priming pumps don't hurt the seals Don must have had a bad pump seal to start with, on the older stuff 2 strokes that is a 65 psi + pump I have one in the shop I saved for Don took  me 131 lbs of air pressure to blow the seal and it was a wore out pump 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:38:59 AM »

I can tell you what the fuel pump does not like, and that is to be starved for fuel. I have one with a sheared drive gear shaft (sheared within the pump housing) that I pulled from my old 6-92 in Amarillo bringing the coach home. I was having the same issue LarryH was having (in the other thread) in B-town Ca. cept that I had a collapsed supply line to the primary, which starved it of fuel and lubrication to the drive gear shaft. While stuck in Amarillo waiting for a replacement to come in, I pulled the old one apart and to my amazement, the shaft was separated from the gear and pulled out of the housing. Here's some pix.

V
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:28:14 AM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »

My Primer is installed inline, before the primary filter. Almost 5 years, and no problemo's Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »

Priming pumps don't hurt the seals Don must have had a bad pump seal to start with, on the older stuff 2 strokes that is a 65 psi + pump I have one in the shop I saved for Don took  me 131 lbs of air pressure to blow the seal and it was a wore out pump 

good luck
Whew!   Good to hear that.   I installed a Facet-Purolator Posi-Flo 60100 electronic fuel pump for priming, and it's between the primary filter (in my case, a Racor 900FG) and the engine's fuel pump.   I specifically chose this pump because it's for older carburetor-equipped cars which need lower fuel pressure than newer fuel-injected cars.   I think it produces only a few PSI, which I hope won't be damaging any seals!   I've had to use it only once, and after running it a few minutes the engine started right up with hardly a hiccup.   So far, so good.

Thanks, John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »

Van, What model primer pump is that in the picture?
Guys, I'll try to find the check vale.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: