Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 21, 2017, 06:10:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tranny fliud/filter change?  (Read 1402 times)
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »

I'm thinking about changing the fluid & Filter(s) in my Ht 748.Does anyone know exactly whats needed?This coach has about 30,000 on the old,but that was amost seven years ago.Is there a indicator that is credible?I 'd hate to cook this ole goose! What kind of fluid & how much,do I need to pull the pan/or does it have a plug?
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
NeoplanAN440

1995 MCI 102 D3 running WVO Neoplan AN440

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »

always all HT 748 should have a drain plug !!  internal filter in the pan only needs to be changed after first change when new or rebuild.  external spin on filter i change always when doing a oil change. on fluid , everybody has its own mind on it. should be Dextron II on the dipstick  . i used Rotella 15W40 for years with good results and no problems.  lots of fleets use hd 15w40 or even sae 30.
depending on how deep the pan is , it should hold arround 8-10 gallons with filter.
hope this helps some.

before starting the oil change i always check the connector on the site if its dry. if not its the best time when the oil is allready drained to go the extra step drop the pan and seal the connector or replace it. cant hurt to check the electrical plate under the valve body for cracks or lose or rubbing wires also.
trailblazer2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »

Thanks for the info!Its interesting about the Roltella?I will cerainly check into it!
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »

Personally I wouldn't run motor oil in my tranny unless it was on its last legs.  I am currently running "Universal tractor transmission and hydraulic oil" which is a 10-20 wt oil mix and costs $40 for a 5 gallon pail at Sam's club.  It is also available at auto parts stores. Motor oil leaves additive deposits on the clutch plates.  Dexron is okay but it is only 10wt.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »

i think the tractor tranny fluid is what is in mine, but cant remember... waah... but im gonna change it again, think i will do so with same fluid.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »

My  HT-740 uses Dextron!
trailblazer2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »

That hydraulic fluid sounds like it might foot the bill.I know that the fluid has to have a detergent to maintain everything!Anybody else have any favorites?
Bill

David Livingston
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »

Cat has a oil approved for Allison I used it for years good enough for the 30,000 dollar power shift Cat transmissions was good enough for me and Cat is not bad on the price

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: