Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 03:20:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I finally got started on replacing the rear air tank.  (Read 663 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »

Pulled the grey water tank, the main sewer outlet, (YUCK!) the water pump, a number of water supply and drain pipes had to be cut I did that all last week. Had to pull carpeting and plywood that they installed to make the bay look better and be more sound deadening. All that to reach the the main mounting bolts in the bay that attach the air tank to the bulkhead. Got the air jack and my manual jack and a bunch of 2X12's stacked up for safety, got her up on one side about 10", pulled the drive tires on the passenger side, aired up the system with my compressor and made sure it's the tank that's leaking and without a doubt, it is, last thing I did was look to see how much room I have to get to the fittings and I may regret saying this later but after pulling my Subaru motor twice in the last few months it really didn't look that cramped. I feel confident I can get the old tank out and the new tank in a reasonable amount of time. Reinstalling and replumbing a major part of my sewer and grey water system may be a different story though. That may take me a full day in itself.

Glad I decided to do it myself although every time I have them off I'm reminded how scary heavy those tires and wheels are.

I'll let you know how I progress on this and if you don't hear from me.... the jacks failed! Shocked

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »

Just checking, the coach is resting on the wood cribbing, not on the jacks...?

Literary license and all, but don't be under the coach, or your car, if it is being held up by a jack.

We prefer our busnuts rounder and plumper, not squished and flat!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »

What a job... got the old tank out and before I install the new one I'm wondering does anybody use anything other than teflon tape on the fittings? Plumbers dope? Plan on 4 full days doing this. One to tear out your tanks or genet if their against the rear wall of the back bay. One to get the tank out and one to get the new one in. and finally one to put all your sewer, grey water stuff in again.

Dirty time consuming work. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again rather than pay some 2500 to 3500 to do it for me.

RB

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:43:29 PM »

Teflon paste.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »

Gumpy, thanks for today, you were a life saver. I read some bus and over the road truck mechanic advice and most of them say teflon tape so since I had it already I went ahead and used it. I didn't see your post until I was done or I may have ran into town and got some paste. This is not an abnormal job to have to have done and I'm hoping all of you never have to do it. It's pretty stinking hard.

I need one plug for the end of the tank and I'm ready to put the new tank in. I sure hope those fittings threads line up or I could have some real issues tomorrow.

Camping soon Craig... You should grab wifey and I'll get Ken and we could all go to Taylors Falls for a weekend soon.

Thank God the wood cribbing and the jacks held!

RB

gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »

Delete, wrong bus!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:46:38 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: