Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 01:27:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still stuck in the mud......  (Read 1929 times)
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »

Well we've been trying to pull the bus out of its rut since Sunday...I've now blown 2 hydraulic lines on our old backhoe.... And blew out the clutch out of our old 1 ton dump... And it's far enough off the road none of the local tow rigs will come save us... I've chained the rear tires and every time we get it moving it just sinks back in... Anyone have this problem before??  And how on earth did you get it out!!!?Huh
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »

Could you maybe throw a bunch of hay in the ruts   Huh  Might help a little.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

Block & tackle maybe?
Pics would help see what your up against. I have operated tow trucks most of my life and with the right set up anything is possible!
There are pics here on the board of my 1 ton tow truck anchored to my 45' Setra pulling out an unnamed members coach from the mud @ one of our rally's.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

Old carpet under the drives or buy 2 sacks of lime spread it out in the drive path it will dry the ground in about 4 hrs

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

Well we've been trying to pull the bus out of its rut since Sunday..

You're working against a couple of things.  If you're in mud, you will have traction problems.  The chains should be a good help there but an issue you'll have is that the soft mud will get thrown out and you'll dig in deeper.  And if your tires (either drives or steers) are sunk in 6", that means you have a 6" ramp that you're trying to get up.  And believe me, a 6" ramp with a 30,000 pound vehicle might as well be as big as Cheops's pyramid.

So, you have a couple of things.  Get the "ramps" out of the way.  Sometimes a good way to do this (esp. with the steers) is to dig the big areas out in front of the tires.  LRbus is right about drying things up.  If you spin your drives until you sink down so far that the frame is on the ground, you're *really stuck* (literally and figuratively).  About the only way to recover from that is to get air lift bags under the bus and llft it enough so that you can get the wheels high enough to get something (coarse gravel, carpet scraps, lime, etc.) for the wheels to sit on and get traction on.  If you can get a jack on or under the axle and you can lift up the wheels (even one at a time), you're *way* on the way to making it work.

So, I think that you need to get traction and make it easier for the tires (front and rear) to roll.  Another good thing is to "add up" your moving force.  If you can get 10,000 pounds of thrust from the tires and 20,000 pounds of pull from a tractor, you can move a 30,000 lb. bus that neither could move alone. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »

Well I'm out of daylight today I'll try the above I tried kitty litter and some heavy gravel but the lye and carpet sounds promising....the front bumper is my thumbs length from the ground Sad
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »

Most people don't have access to big enough equipment so the first best solution is to wait for dry weather.  If you can't or won't do that then don't mess with small rigging, as you have likely already discovered.  The one time I got the frenchy bus thoroughly stuck I used a 2 yard loader with forks.  Put the forks under the engine cradle and chained the rack to my tow rings.  Then I took some of the weight on the forks and pulled gently.  If you're really stuck there's no shortcuts - you're gonna need some really big rigging.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

Block & tackle maybe?
Pics would help see what your up against. I have operated tow trucks most of my life and with the right set up anything is possible!
There are pics here on the board of my 1 ton tow truck anchored to my 45' Setra pulling out an unnamed members coach from the mud @ one of our rally's.
Grin  BK  Grin

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Gee, wonder who that could be  Grin Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »

I really thought I had it with the backhoe it's ancient with a 4/71 dd In it.. However I blew both boom lines and shop says 3-5 days for the fittings oh joy Smiley  Tomorrow I may bust out the set of house jacks that I bought for reAlly no purpose at auction... Maybe they'll do ye trick!!
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »

If you can move the bus even a little? Might have to dig in front or rear of the tires. I used some scrap 2X lumber and gravel. (gravel= crushed stone, not round stuff) Fine crushed stone is best. I used 2X scrap, but anything you have will work, can even fill rut with gravel. But only a little at a time. Cut the 2X the  width of the ruts. Move bus forward/back, put in piece of wood and gravel/sand, something rough. gently move bus on piece of 2X. Add piece of 2X, front/rear, move bus on that piece, back and forth adding wood repete, repete until tires are raised to ground level.

Cut sheet's of plywood 2X8', I used 5/8 or 3/4?. Nail/screw 2X2X2 cleats to bottom of plywood, no cleats tires will spin out ply. Put sheets under tires and put something coarse on sheets. Mud is slick like ice, tires will slide off ply without traction. Need at least 4 piece of plywood.   MOve bus forward 15 feet, move rear sheets to front.Move bus forward 8', pick up rear sheets, put in front of wheels, move bus forward 8' repete repete repete.

Do not buy expensive plywood, planning on using for another project when done!                              JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »

LVRBUS said LIME not Lye, didn't want you to melt your tires off.

I use Rubber mats you can get at Costco. The brown oones with the 1/2" hole in them They are for bar floors. i cut them in half the long way. I carry them in the bay. I got it stuck in mud about 4 inches deep and it was spinning. I Jambed one in front of the back tires on each side. Gave it the gas and it walk right up on them and I just kept going until it was out. Hosed them off and back in the bay.

Dave5Cs

Eric

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 06:28:34 AM »

Good catch on the lye.... I was thinking wow tha would work it would make my tires tacky Smiley

Hoses are ready for backhoe I'm getting it out today one way or another ... Desperate times call for desperate measures right?
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:31:41 AM »

Good catch on the lye.... I was thinking wow tha would work it would make my tires tacky Smiley

Hoses are ready for backhoe I'm getting it out today one way or another ... Desperate times call for desperate measures right?

If it were me I'd use a block and tackle set up to split the load to something along with the backhoe and double the pulling force!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »

If you can move the bus even a little?  (snip)  Do not buy expensive plywood, planning on using for another project when done!                              JIm  

Yes.  Jim's advice is very good for getting out of/beating those 6" ramps I was talking about.  But, as was posted, you might have to wait for dry weather.  Good luck!  (And be safe -- don't let frustration make you do something dangerous, it happens.)

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »

We know what it is like getting stuck. Try a city street, and breaking through the blacktop. Not fun. Took us six hours and a BUNCH of help to get out. Small town Alberta...the folks were so nice and helpful. We couldn't do any of the standard stuck in mud procedures. Everything was sinking. The road wouldn't hold anything. That was the biggest thing that happened in that town for a very long time. Locals had lawn chairs out, and were sitting watching. The folks across the street had a BBQ and fed everybody. If it wasn't our bus, it would have been enjoyable.

And yes, we did call the mounties so we had an accident report. We just wanted to make sure everything was covered, because the street was left in a total mess. Even the mayor was out looking at the bus. I believe they now have weight restrictions up, since we left.

Enjoy.

John
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:08:32 AM by John316 » Logged

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »

I'd let you borrow my dozer but it would cost a fortune to get it their. Are their any tie to points on the front of these buses. I'm going to look at my prevost rat now. Many years ago got buried going to rig location out in West Texas and they liked to totaled my then new 1 ton Welding Rig pushing and pulling. From then on I'd take a look at road and go "No Way Buckwheat"
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »

no one has mentioned a stretchy type tow rope, this will take help the tow vehicle (clutch et all)  I would probably start jacking and filling the holes with gravel/wood /whatever.  But I have an air over 20 ton jack that speeds that process up, which I recommend for all field work on a bus

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »

More than once, someone has assisted a bus with a 4x4 in low mode. Just a thought...

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »

Everybody needs to get really thoroughly stuck at least once so that they appreciate just what it takes to get back out.  It makes you a lot more cowardly in the future.  The other big learning experience after a serious episode of stuck is that the mud just keeps on giving.  Its very common to have premature driveline failures shortly after a stuck and if you put enough effort into winching you can pull really big things clean off. 

Good luck.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:37 AM »

Your right!  Those people who never get stuck will never be true bus nuts Grin

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:14:04 AM »

Just be careful that all your attempts to do it yourself don't cost more than paying the big boys to come out and do it right.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »

Betwen the cost of the clutch and the hoses, he may have passed that point already...
Eric

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 02:54:36 PM »

Well some wood gravel and the backhoe boom and it's free!!

Thanks everyone for your input and help!! We are rolling again!
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »

(snip)  it's free!!  We are rolling again!   

Good work.  Hope there was no damage. 

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »

Did you clean up the Lye, LOL
Sorry couldn't help myself. Glad to hear your free, Mr busnut.

Dave5Cs

travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

Must be a great feeling to get back up on hard ground..Any pics of the ordeal ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: