Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
October 19, 2017, 08:40:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big breaking news  (Read 3305 times)
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

MCI is going to merge with SETRA. This will be very interesting to see which models will stay and which one's will go over time. http://www.mcicoach.com/media-center/2012-04-25-setra.htm
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »

It doesn't say that MCI is merging with Setra - it says that MCI will take over the importation and sales of Setra products in the US.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »

Well it does say that SETRA will have a minority stake in MCI. I would call that a defacto merger otherwise why would you partner with a rival unless otherwise?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »

Yep must of been in the works for awhile I saw a J4500 with the DD13 and new Allison auto shift a few months back and M/B does not let many have the engine 

They already have VanHool in the group they are going to make it tough on Prevost to survive as the J4500 is the best selling bus on the market and has been for years and the Setra the best selling high end coach look out for a new motor coach for converters I hear one is on the way based on S417
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:35:27 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »

Everyone in the auto industry has stakes in everyone else, and everyone 'partners with rivals' if it is in their own interests to do so - another company might have technology or expertise you are willing to pay for, or - as in this case - facilities and a distribution network that you can use to sell your stuff. Setra is just one of dozens of European bus builders producing really good products - the reason why they aren't available in the US is because of the vast cost of setting up a distribution network.

Now what would be interesting would be for MCI to start sending stuff the other way - ie, have a go at selling American/Canadian buses in Germany.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »

You can have a DD-13 in the VAN HOOL too but with this, how long will that last? I wouldn't be surprised if MAXXFORCE engines make their way into the VAN HOOL line.
MCI has the J4500 which is considered to be a standard over the road coach. The E4500 is their premium model. The D4000 and D4500 is their lower cost model which often is configured and marketed as more of a commuter or prison version. SETRA's S417 touts itself as above premium and the new S407 is slightly below that. So if I had to guess, the E4500 may go away and that new S407 may take it's place. Just wait and see but maybe they'll keep it the way it is.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »

VAN-HOOL is not part of DIAMLER. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Hool
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »

I guess they have forgotten their experiance with Chrysler...

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »

You got to do better than Wiki Milton , BK is going to be heart broken the Setra is the one going a way they are closing the plants according to WallStreet

Life is short drink the good wine first
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »

BK is going to be heart broken, the Setra is the one going a way they are closing the plants according to WallStreet

I read the press release also, my interpretation was that it's the ORION plants building transit buses that are being shuttered after the current orders are completed, not the Setra plant in Germany.

Long term, this should be interesting. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted
6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell
6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:56 AM »

LUVERBUS I would agree that WIKI has it's reputation but as long as it sites an external link it's ok. However, the only connection I see VAN-HOOL having to DAIMLER is in it's 3035RE that uses the FREIGHTLINER chassis. Didn't mean to break any hearts.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 05:06:10 AM »

Van Hool use Freightliner chassis? No reason they shouldn't, but surprising from a logistical perspective to ship American chassis to Europe to have a body put on, and then ship them back to America. Like Setra, Van Hool don't have any manufacturing facilities in the US.

As far as I can tell from a quick glance at Google, the '3035RE; isn't a Van Hool model in fact, but is a bus built by 'General Coach America', whoever they are (a fairly new outfit spun out of the old Airstream travel trailer company, according to their website).

Jeremy

CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 05:12:58 AM »

You're right about the 3035RE being build by GENERAL COACH and that's the one that VAN-HOOL uses the FREIGHTLINER chassis. True it's built by GENERAL COACH but it's an exclusive agreement and it has the VAN-HOOL name on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: