Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 31, 2014, 03:16:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorry for the dead horse - jacking point question  (Read 606 times)
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »

I know we just talked about this, but I couldn't find it.  What are the proper jack points for the front?  My front is sprung if that makes any difference.  I thought there would be flats on the bottom of the axle but there are not.  I am using the ubiquitous 20 ton air over hydraulic harbor freight jack.  I have got the back in the air but am leery of the front.  Getting the bus jacked up to pull the engine (mid-engine, cesarean birth only).

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
crown

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »

rick the crown is a full rail frame other buss like gmc mci ect are monocore they dont have a full
  frame so you can only jack them in factory points  john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Uglydog56

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »

Okay - I ended up jacking on the spring immediately forward of the axle.  I don't know if it's proper, but it worked, and she's up in the air so I can start wrenching tomorrow!

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »

Is it a Timken front axle?   Could a lifting pad be bolted under the axle next to the spring?   Or maybe the top of the jack itself could have a saddle made for it that would positively locate it under the axle?   It seems slightly iffy to lift by the spring itself.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Uglydog56

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »

It's a rockwell.  I think the saddle thing is a good idea.  However I was literally about 1/2" from the axle, don't think I hurt anything.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: