Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 09:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorry for the dead horse - jacking point question  (Read 605 times)
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »

I know we just talked about this, but I couldn't find it.  What are the proper jack points for the front?  My front is sprung if that makes any difference.  I thought there would be flats on the bottom of the axle but there are not.  I am using the ubiquitous 20 ton air over hydraulic harbor freight jack.  I have got the back in the air but am leery of the front.  Getting the bus jacked up to pull the engine (mid-engine, cesarean birth only).

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
crown

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »

rick the crown is a full rail frame other buss like gmc mci ect are monocore they dont have a full
  frame so you can only jack them in factory points  john

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Uglydog56

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:44:08 PM »

Okay - I ended up jacking on the spring immediately forward of the axle.  I don't know if it's proper, but it worked, and she's up in the air so I can start wrenching tomorrow!

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »

Is it a Timken front axle?   Could a lifting pad be bolted under the axle next to the spring?   Or maybe the top of the jack itself could have a saddle made for it that would positively locate it under the axle?   It seems slightly iffy to lift by the spring itself.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Uglydog56

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »

It's a rockwell.  I think the saddle thing is a good idea.  However I was literally about 1/2" from the axle, don't think I hurt anything.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: