Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:05:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When does the amount of work in a project make it unrealistic to do it yourself?  (Read 1178 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 02:35:51 PM »

Unless you're going to buy new and stay in warranty I don't see how anyone can own any metal toy without planning to work on it at some time.  Even if you plan to farm out all your work there will come a time when something breaks at 0:dark:30 and mama isn't interested in waiting until you can get a mechanic on scene.  Personally if I'm not under the gun I kind of like wrenching so its no big hardship but I feel the same arthritic pains that several others have referred to.  (I'm MUCH younger than them though - just prematurely arthritic I guess)

I think its more about adjusting your timeframe.  As long as there's an agenda it will feel like work.  If I've got time on my hands I can make an oil change last all day and it will never feel like work.  Working smarter not harder seems to come with age.  I used to take pride in how much I could lift; now I take pride in how much I can get done with little physical effort.  As far as lifting starters goes - get an MT39 and you will be able to lift two of them with one hand.   Grin

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 05:53:31 AM »

The pain of doing it yourself is often not as great as the anger and frustration of paying some careless idiot to do it for you.
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 06:00:41 AM »

I am a General Contractor and own a cabinet shop. Before I bought the bus, I didn't like doing any projects for myself. I now enjoy doing the plumbing, electrical, woodworking, etc.. I am learning to work on the bus mechanics out of necessity. I agree with bobofthenorth, you must be able to do some repairs yourself. I think that routine maintenance is a must by the owner. I want to know that everytime I get behind the wheel that I believe my bus is ready, and safe, and not because someone told me so. I am still young enough to do most of the work myself. However, I am also smart enough to know when it's time to yield to the professionals.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: