Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 09:41:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When does the amount of work in a project make it unrealistic to do it yourself?  (Read 1170 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 02:35:51 PM »

Unless you're going to buy new and stay in warranty I don't see how anyone can own any metal toy without planning to work on it at some time.  Even if you plan to farm out all your work there will come a time when something breaks at 0:dark:30 and mama isn't interested in waiting until you can get a mechanic on scene.  Personally if I'm not under the gun I kind of like wrenching so its no big hardship but I feel the same arthritic pains that several others have referred to.  (I'm MUCH younger than them though - just prematurely arthritic I guess)

I think its more about adjusting your timeframe.  As long as there's an agenda it will feel like work.  If I've got time on my hands I can make an oil change last all day and it will never feel like work.  Working smarter not harder seems to come with age.  I used to take pride in how much I could lift; now I take pride in how much I can get done with little physical effort.  As far as lifting starters goes - get an MT39 and you will be able to lift two of them with one hand.   Grin

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 05:53:31 AM »

The pain of doing it yourself is often not as great as the anger and frustration of paying some careless idiot to do it for you.
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 06:00:41 AM »

I am a General Contractor and own a cabinet shop. Before I bought the bus, I didn't like doing any projects for myself. I now enjoy doing the plumbing, electrical, woodworking, etc.. I am learning to work on the bus mechanics out of necessity. I agree with bobofthenorth, you must be able to do some repairs yourself. I think that routine maintenance is a must by the owner. I want to know that everytime I get behind the wheel that I believe my bus is ready, and safe, and not because someone told me so. I am still young enough to do most of the work myself. However, I am also smart enough to know when it's time to yield to the professionals.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: