Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 10:12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Ralleys  (Read 3400 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:20:52 AM »

Hey Folks,
  As some of you know, I am a newbie here. I have been reading the posts everyday and really enjoying all the info and thoughts. I also have allot of questions that I will be firing out to ya soon. Actually, here is one of them:
  I hear and read about all the "ralleys" and was just curious about them. Can anybody come or is there some criteria to meet or does one need an invitation or?HuhHuh??   I think I may know my own answer, but I just want to make sure. I don't like @$#-u-me-ing. Wink
  I am looking forward to having fun with my bus and traveling when I can and things like ralleys, races, car shows, etc. are on top of my list.
  Thanx for all the help and great site!! More questions to come!!!  Grin

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:24:17 AM »

Hi Chaz,

That's an easy one....

Anybody can come to the rallys, even you....lol.  It's always good to let the host know ahead of time. This way they know how many are attending.

You know, so they have enough food for ya!

Nick Badame-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:40:31 AM »

Thanx Nick, That is what I suspected. I just wanted to make sure. I just went thru the hundred PLUS pix from Hobokin. Looks like it would be a good time. I would be looking for knowledge while I was there........ and there looks to be plenty of that at these ralleys!!! Wink
  My bus isn't quite as nice as most I seen, but it's in good shape, just needs a little face lift. Wink
   Thanx again!!
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:44:34 AM »

Chaz -

If your schedule permits, Jack's Party in Arcadia, FL is coming up over New Year's weekend. 

(AKA "Bussin' 2007")

Probably have somewhere around 100 coaches, in all states of deconstruction/construction/completion.

Seminars, too!

Details in the calendar section.

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Ace

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:51:12 AM »

Chaz though I've never been to hoboken (future trip) I'm sure it's a good one but if you really want to see busses, a LOT of busses, and get info, meet the nicest people, eat the mostest, have the mostest fun, and enjoy a florida get-a-way while your at it, be sure and be at the Bussin event in Arcadia. MAKE PLANS NOW! "If you wait, it's too late"!

You can come as you are or evn bring your bus. Best to let them (jack conrad) know in advance so they know where to park you IF you bring your bus. If it's not quite done but runs, that's ok too! There are steel tents there with nothing at all in them but air and a driver! If you can rough it, bring it! You won't go away dissapointed and if you do, it's your own fault! Start right after Christmas and goes thru New Years and what a way to bring the New year in with a bunch of nuts! Bus Nuts!

Ace
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:28:01 AM »

Hey Guys, That sounds like "right down my alley"!! No promises tho, as I want to get a it up and running on WVO before that. It will just make it more feasible for me. But it sounds like just what I am looking for. I love the info part. I am totally new at this and need to learn. I can do most anything to a car, truck, motorcycle- including cutting them in half and putting them back together, but the bus is new territory for me.
  Thanx for the heads up. I will "pencil" it in!!!
    Chaz

RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 08:48:29 AM »

Chaz -

Even if you don't have the WVO up and runnin'. . . GO!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
belfert

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 09:05:41 AM »

Will Bussin' 2007 be a good place to see how others have done their conversions?  No real reason for me to go if I couldn't see how others did their buses.

I would have to fly in as no way could I afford the $1100 for fuel and the four days to drive the bus there and back.  I also don't really want to subject the bus to the salt used in the Midwest and the resulting rust.

Brian Elfert
Ace

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 09:48:52 AM »

Brian, is your bus just a status thing with you or what? It seems you find excuses with everything when it comes to the bus, it's needs, rallies, etc.! Quit with all the negative,s and either express positives for everyone or leave it alone. Nobody cares what the cost is for your trip.  It's the same for all of us! Not try to be rude but enough is enough! You bought a bus and that's a step above a LOT of people. Be proud of what you have accomplished and encourage those that are just beginning! Remember, we're all in the same boat (bus) with the fuel deal.

Ace
belfert

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:07:41 AM »

Brian, is your bus just a status thing with you or what? It seems you find excuses with everything when it comes to the bus, it's needs, rallies, etc.! Quit with all the negative,s and either express positives for everyone or leave it alone. Nobody cares what the cost is for your trip.  It's the same for all of us! Not try to be rude but enough is enough! You bought a bus and that's a step above a LOT of people. Be proud of what you have accomplished and encourage those that are just beginning! Remember, we're all in the same boat (bus) with the fuel deal.

Yes, everyone pays approx the same for fuel, but not everyone lives the same distance from Arcadia.  I know you live in Florida, so you are a whole lot closer than I am so your fuel cost will be less.  It is 1,667 miles from my zip code to Arcadia, FL.

I don't know why you say the trip costs the same for everyone?  My cost would be far higher to go to Arcadia than it will be for you or anyone who lives in Florida or surrounding states.

Brian Elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 11:02:14 AM »

Brian,

If you flew to Arcadia without your bus, Do you really think you would be able to do that? [be with all thoose busses and not yours]

I know I wouldn't be able to........

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »

I can understand Russ!! I am "chompin at the bit". But I gotta kinda use my head about this. (Us artists aren't the best paid, ya know? Undecided lol) Plus, with all the stuff I want to do to it..... well, you get the idea. But the fact that there is going to be that many busses there REEEEALLY has my ears up!!!! I want to make my decisions on what I want in my bus by what others have experienced, and having that many there would be GREAT!

I understand- to a degree- where Brian is coming from. BUT , the salt thing and all that doesn't bother me. I figure if I can't use it, why have it?Huh But the time and money thing does have a bearing. Some people are just allot more particular about their stuff.

Chaz

Ace

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »

Brian what I meant about being the same for everyone is the fact, FACT that we ALL have to buy fuel whether it's 2000 miles or 200. If you own a bus to convert into a conversion motorhome type vehicle, and worry about how many miles your going to HAVE to travel to get someplace and worry about HOW MUCH fuel is going to cost you to get there AND back, then you condsider flying, which isn't cheap these days, just makes absolutely NO sense to me at all!  If your going to Fly to a rally, it might as well be a plane rally, not a bus rally, that is IF IF IF you own a bus that is in RUNNING condition! There are surely those that have busses and are NOT running for one reason or another and it's understandable why they might FLY in to a rally but to announce your reason/s why you wouldn't consider this rally, THE LARGEST RALLY EAST of the Mississippi, I might add, is down right wrong and discouraging to others that might want to go!

Do yourself a favor and try and be more positive about what you want out of your bus instead of what your bus is costing you. Heck if I worried about what it would cost me and what it DID cost to this day, I probably would have had a stroke by now!

It's only money and you can't take it with you so quit worrying about it! If your bus needs fixing, fix it or have it fixed. If it needs fuel, fuel it or have it fueled! If you can't care for it for whatever reason, then please please don't announce to everyone why you feel the way you do or why you can't! That sends out the wrong message to others. If you need help with anything at all on your bus, you've already found one of the best resources available to you. Don't use the resource to whine and cry!    Wink

Ace

belfert

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »

I I understand- to a degree- where Brian is coming from. BUT , the salt thing and all that doesn't bother me. I figure if I can't use it, why have it?Huh But the time and money thing does have a bearing. Some people are just allot more particular about their stuff.

The salt issue is the least of my problems with taking my bus to Arcadia.  The biggest issue to taking the bus would be the four days of travel and the second biggest issue would be the cost.  I've been checking on airfare and such to see how bad it would be to get to Arcadia that way.

My last RV, a travel trailer, was delivered in the winter and the salt really reaked havoc on the frame and the wheels.  The dealer had to replace the chrome parts on the wheels due to rust.  The frame developed a fair amount of rust in the few years I had it even though it never saw salt again.

I'm probably being paranoid about salt and the bus as it is undercoated and has aluminum body panels.  I don't really have anywhere to take the bus in the winter, so it will probably sit over the winter except for short trips to get it up to temp to exercise everything.

Nick, I wouldn't miss my bus at Arcadia since it is basically a steel tent right now.  Luckily, the two rallies I have gone to had a bathroom available.  I won't get much done over the winter except cabinets, but I will go full speed ahead again in the spring once the weather warms up.

Brian Elfert
bruceknee

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 03:42:29 PM »

I think that I should just give my bus away before I have to spend more money on fuel or it rusts away because of the salt they use on the roads here
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 03:46:08 PM »

Good Idea Bruce just give me a call and I will come and get it out of your way and I won't even charge you for the trouble(what are friends for right)Mike
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 03:55:13 PM »

All of this talk about NOT going has me wondering how I can rearrange  things to make it this year!!   Arcadia,  that is,  but it is 1164 miles and may require salt driving,   unless....! !    Denis
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 04:43:07 PM »

Chaz & Brian -

It has GOT to be less expensive for you guys to fly down to Tampa/Orlando (especially Orlando) and stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Arcadia for a couple of days than it would be to drive. 

Fly out Friday AM, fly home Sunday PM

Coordinate your flight arrivals, and you guys could share a rental car, maybe even split the room cost.

I'm flying in from CA.  Would love to drive, but only have a week vacation, not enough time to round-trip by land.  Same as I did for Bussin' 2004 three years ago.

Well worth the $$$$$$ - bring your camera, 'cause your brain will be fried from all the coaches. . .

So what if you can't bring your bus - your experience will be well worth the expense, and the motivation will be priceless!!

Go for it!!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 05:35:15 PM »

I think that I should just give my bus away before I have to spend more money on fuel or it rusts away because of the salt they use on the roads here
If I didnt have to cut out the rust and replace steel, This would have been a peice of cake. Huh Grin Cheesy Roll Eyes Cool

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 06:21:52 PM »

I HATE ALL OF YOU!!!

I have to work and cannot attend the bus rally in paradise.  Who wouldn't want to spend a week in FL, oogling the ladies (and by that, I mean the buses, of course.)

But, if I really wanted to go, and I don't have a bus anymore, I would just fly down, enjoy the week, and bivouac in a motel.  But, watch out for bedbugs.

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 07:14:27 PM »

We are still on "Paula's Retirement Trip" until November 13 or 14, so I do not know how maqy Bussin' 2007 reservations are waiting for us at home, but we are estimating 150-175 coaches this year. For any planning to fly to the rally, the Ft. Myersw airport is the closest and easiest to get to from Arcadia.  Here are the motels in Arcadia.  The Holiday Inn is the closest to the rally site.  Jack

Best Western                                  Economy Inn
504 S Brevard Ave (US 17)            324 S. Brevard Ave. (US 17)
Arcadia, Florida 34266                   Arcadia, Florida 34266
(863) 494-4884                               (863) 494-2915

Holiday Inn Express
2709 SR 70 SE  (Next to WalMart)
Arcadia, Florida 34266
(863) 494-5900

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »

Salt won't harm your bus.

That travel trailer would have rusted out in the desert because of how it was made, not because of a little salt spray.

4 days to go 1667 miles?

You gotta develop the hunger, man!

That is a 2 and a half day trip, if Arcadia is the destination.

I'll have some cold, fresh from Canada beer for you.

And the seminars, and the buses to look at, and the people to talk to....

Get on the plane, get in the bus, drive the car, whatever, but get down there to Aracadia.

This message sponsored by Molson Canadian.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
bruceknee

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 03:16:56 AM »

I'll risk the salt and spend the money on fuel for one of those cold beers!
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 05:12:04 AM »

Well, I think we need to convince Chaz to come to the rally!  Wink I mean, seriously, have you guys seen his website?  OMG Shocked!  His house is awesome and I guarantee you, he will put us all to shame when he gets that bus done!   Wink

Yeah, it hurts our feelings to spend money on fuel too. .. but gosh, if I don't use it, I might as well sell it.  The way I look at it, we don't spend our money in the directions that many other people do. . . I don't buy $200 purses or $400 jeans, we quit golfing years ago, we don't hunt, . . .all that stuff costs money, so we spend ours on diesel! Grin

Now, time can indeed be a factor when it comes to picking a rally, but we decided that we deserved a vacation, and what's better than Florida in the middle of Winter?  It's really not that expensive to fly, so sometimes, it's worth leaving the bus at home and flying in for a long distance rally if you don't have the time to drive.  It's really fun to look at converted busses and after you've looked at a bunch, you have a really good idea of the direction you want to go with your own.  Plus, you get soooooo many good ideas and will find yourself slapping your temple saying, "Why didn't I think of that!?!" Roll Eyes

I think the thing that reassures me the most is finding out that many people have spent 5 or 6 or more years converting their busses, often using them during the proccess, so I've learned not to pressure myself on completing ours within a specific time frame.  I also like seeing busses a year later, and seeing the progress or changes someone's made.

Having said all this, I have to confess that we will be coming in TempBus, that boring old factory conversion, Wink, so we won't be able to point and say, "we did this" very often, ha ha.  Oh, well, that'll give you all something to talk about when we do finally get BigBus converted and on the road. . .not that I don't usually give you all something to talk about every darn time we take a trip! Wink

So, the big question is. .. will Chaz grace us with his presense in Arcadia and, well, we'll we have another "doggone adventure", or will it be smooth sailing all the way?Huh  Care to take bets? Cheesy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
belfert

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 05:38:48 AM »

Salt won't harm your bus.

That travel trailer would have rusted out in the desert because of how it was made, not because of a little salt spray.

4 days to go 1667 miles?

Arcadia is 1667 miles one way for me.  The four days is two days there and two days back.  I figure driving 12 to 14 hours each day since it would only be me by myself.

Brian Elfert
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »

GRRRRRR!

Brian, put up or shutup.

Ace come get me so I can ride in your bus, I'm close to B-ham, I'll pay for the fuel. My bus has to stay here to be worked out of for the next two months. Besides yours goes faster than mine. Grin

I WANNA GO!!!
Devin

P.S. I had salt on my supper last night "in the bus". will this harm my bus??

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
Ace

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 08:40:40 AM »

Are you serious?

I go to Montgomery all the time so I know the way all to well!

Why not just rent you a car and make the 9 hour trip. It's a pleasant drive and the weather is great!

It would definitely be cheaper than me coming there and you buying the fuel and besides, "Bud", occupies that seat now so you would have to be considered cargo!

Payloads cost more to transport!  Grin

Ace
belfert

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »

GRRRRRR!

Brian, put up or shutup.

Hmm.  It looks like it might be time to delete my account again and not look back this time.

Someone questioned why it would take 4 days to travel 1667 miles and I explained that was one way mileage only.

Brian Elfert
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006, 09:06:56 AM »

Hmm.  It looks like it might be time to delete my account again and not look back this time.

Brian -

A better suggestion:  Shift into "lurk" mode, and just read the threads w/o responding.  Do it over morning coffee, then go about your business for the day.

HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006, 09:47:35 AM »

Hey Chaz,

Glad to see YOUR post & topic. Cool I see you got alot more than you asked for Roll Eyes,,,  ;DA personal invitation from THE man, Jack Conrad, alot of insite to  Shocked"TheNutHouse" Shocked (does anyone have a copyright on that one?), and alot of good advise.

Arcadia was my first. Wink Heck I was a newbie up untill a couple of days ago Shocked and This will be our 4th? year to Arcadia and we bought the bus in 99. After reading about everyones busses and so undecided on which way to go on our conversion, Arcadia was such a motivating factor that we HAD to go. There were 200 busses!! I think we toured them all. Wow I learned alot from people who had been there and done that. I had to redo some stuff that I thought was the "best" way to do it, but soon saw the various options and others designs. (whats the saying about Flattery)

See you there

Bill

ps
We will have to talk about WVO sometime.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 09:58:14 AM »

Well, first I feel like I should apologize for any grief I may have caused with this thread. But I tend to agree with the majority on the subject of "use your bus WHENEVER you can". BUT..... it's yours and you have your own vision of what is right. I, personally, know what it's like to do stuff different than what might seem "normal" (if there is such a thing) being an artist, but I DO R-E-A-L-L-Y like to get peoples ideas and input. It gives me a better platform on which to make an intelligent decision.
  Russ may have something with his last post. Or, at the very least, consider what you write. But then that goes without saying. I could write my posts using the same tone I had in the Navy, but that would offend MOST people. (any old "salts" know of what I'm saying?  Grin Grin Grin) lolol
  Anyway, enough of that.......... I want ALL your opinions!!!! Ah-Oh Shocked I may have really opened up a can of worms!! LOLOLOL Wink

Oh, by the way Christy, Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for the kind words, compliments and incouragement!!! I DO want to come to the rally!!!!! I even have friends that live down there that I need to stop by and see. But........ I need to see how things shake out. I am also an "artist in residence" for the local 8th grade at that time, so that will also have a bearing on the trip.

AND ONE MORE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GOES FOR ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!! You ALL have a personal invite to stop by and tour my house whenever you happen to be traveling up or down I-74 between Cincinnati and Indianapolis. It is a rather unique home that can take care of itself and allow me to have a "home base" to come back to. I think it will work well with having a bus as a second home since it is cheap to keep and inexpensive to build. I and my father did mine.

Ok, now back to the regulary scheduled post....................

Chaz

Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »

Yesss,,, this board is really funnyyyy,,,, I have been cracking up all Day,,,, ACE,,, you are funnnny
Ace

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 08:23:20 PM »

What is that supposed to mean?

Please explain!

Ace
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 12:08:47 PM »

We Just got back in Yesterday form our little vaca, And i have been waiting for a chance to catch up on the Boards...

That being said, Its great to see that the Tail-twistin' is still going on!   Cheesy

The best thing about this board Other than the outstanding technical advice and the unfathomable wealth of expertise,    oh yeah and the price!is the fact that it has a definite family feel, All that sibling rivalry and taking everything personally, only to eventually kiss and make-up   Grin I can't wait to start attending some of these rally's so I can actually put face to name and see who's who.

Jim
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: