Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:29:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need Heat! For my bus that is.  (Read 4842 times)
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2006, 07:07:32 AM »

Chaz the thing to consider with a used webasto every thing that usually needs replacement is $350.00 and up  Coil,  contoller,  circulation pump. makes the new unit more attractive as from what I understand you can get 10 plus years of trouble free operation.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 07:35:32 AM »

Thanx Paso,
  I am kinda seeing that.  Undecided  But I have found a couple "rebuilt" units for a good price too.
     Decisions, decisions........  Huh   Wink Wink Wink

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2006, 06:57:56 PM »

Anybody heard of these??   http://www.espar.com/htm/Specs/water/hydro16.htm    Just curious. A diesel mechanic friend of mine told me to check them out. As usual, I'm looking for opinions.  Wink  I value them!
  Noone had mentioned them yet, so I was thinking maybe they weren't any good or worth it.
  Thanx
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »

I have an Espar 42k BTU unit that came with my bus.  I'm changing / adding to make my heating system.  I had the unit serviced before I started so I know it works well.   Very similar to the Webasto, but quieter.  There may be take out units available somewhere.  I would not hestitate to use one.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2006, 01:34:03 AM »

Anybody heard of these??   http://www.espar.com/htm/Specs/water/hydro16.htm    Just curious. A diesel mechanic friend of mine told me to check them out. As usual, I'm looking for opinions.  Wink  I value them!
  Noone had mentioned them yet, so I was thinking maybe they weren't any good or worth it.
  Thanx
    Chaz

Espar is simply the US trading name of the Eberspacher brand I suggested earlier. I guess they figured 'Eberspacher' sounded too German for the American market.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2006, 07:06:28 AM »

I'm changing / adding to make my heating system.

So, are you saying yours with a 42k btu isn't big enough?Huh Just curious. I did not quite understand. I do understand they are quieter.

Jeremy, with a name like Kaiser (mine!) Eberspacher is not to German for me!! LOLOLOLOLOL Grin

Thanx!!!
    Chaz

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2006, 08:14:21 AM »

To be honest, I'm not sure if th 42 k is big enough, but all the experts assured me that it's plenty.  I also live in southern california, and in the 3 years I've had the bus, I have not really needed heat. I do not intend to camp below freezing if I can help it, altough we all know there are things beyond our control when we travel.

Even when boondocking at 40 degrees.  Campfire, down jacket, flannel sheets and down comforter, I've been just fine.  So I'm pretty sure 42k BTU will be more than adequate.

Its also important not to get one too large for your needs as it will cycle too often.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »

Chaz...

40 000 BTU or there abouts is fine for what a busnut usually does.

I have a big Webasto at 100 000 BTU, up here in Canada.

Mine burns more fuel, but it warms things up right quick from stone cold sub zero.

Good if you have no patience, good if you leave the coach cold and come back to it at the ski-slope, good if it is arctic temps, Bad for fuel consumption, and bad in moderate temps where it does cycle more than the smaller BTU models.

Perhaps most importantly, it came in the bus, so no decisions for me to make!

You are looking for "good running take-out" The nozzles in the Webasto, I am told, are regular oil burner nozzles, buy 'em from your furnace contractor, not Webasto. Only maintenance it really needs is open it up once in awhile and clean out the soot and put in a fresh nozzle once a huge amount of fuel has gone through it. And check the gap and condition of the sparker points.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: