Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 08:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tourqe spec. for 24.5 aluminum wheels  (Read 1943 times)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:36:53 AM »

Just replaced my tires with new Kumho 24.5's. Need to know if I have the lug tight enough. I am using a 3/4 air wrench with 950lb. My friend does big truck service said this will not get them tight. I removed a spare that he had replaced with his 1" drive. Thought I was going to need a torch. Does anybody know the proper spec?
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:51:06 AM »

First, invest in a torque wrench. Never let a tire shop use a impact wrench to final tighten your lugs. Proper torque is in the 450-550 ft. lbs. 900 is way too tight.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 10:16:50 AM »

Every where I have read in the manuals & specifications has been in the 450 ft-lb range.

I would question this friend as to why he thinks they need to be so tight. Over tightening causes stresses the rims, hubs, & studs were not designed for. This can warp hubs, pull out/ break/ strip the studs, cause the rim center to crack out, mash the metal out from under the lug nuts, .......

Now if he is trying to generate more service business, that would be one explaination why.

It is so hard to find knowledgable service help when you know what is involved, almost impossible when you don't.

Most of the tire stores I've been in do not understand proper torque. They believe more is better! Heck, most don't care!

It is your coach, buy the manual (if you don't have one) and know the requirements for proper maintence. You will save your $ for more fun stuff.

Good luck!

kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »

With a 3/4" drive torque wrench, I torque my Alcoas to 400 ft. lbs and my inner drive steel wheels to 450 ft. lbs.

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »

Another thing, I always re-torque the wheel bolts after ~50 miles. Occasionally I'll find a few that have settled down & need tightening.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: