Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 04:54:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help Setting TRACE Inverter  (Read 2907 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 06:53:09 PM »

It is always a good idea to shut off any large load appliances before shutting down a generator, the generator can be damaged if done otherwise. Not sure if the same holds true for an inverter, but I would do it anyway.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »

What should I expect the baseline parasitic load to be from my TRACE SW 4024? With all loads off, the only two items I know are running is the display on the inverter (inverter is Off) and the Trimetric Battery Monitor. The battery monitor shows .4 Amps. I know that the battery monitor alone will show .1 Amp load. So, is .3 a reasonable parasitic load from the TRACE if it is turned off, but still connected to the batts?

My monitor is showing 91% on my batt bank after a week of only the monitor and inverter running.

Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »

... So, is .3 a reasonable parasitic load from the TRACE if it is turned off, but still connected to the batts?

Specs call for less than 0.1a in "search" mode, so it should be less than that in "off" mode.  In "on" mode with no load it is closer to 0.7a.

The remote panel, if installed, will add a small amount to the idle current.

Are you certain that there are no other loads on the DC side?  For example, a battery equalizer?

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »

Thanks, Sean. I'm sure you knew that. Thanks for the hint.

Yes, now that you mention it, there is a Sure Power Equalizer, connected as a converter only. Still, it is probably pulling some volts sitting idle even though there are no 12vdc loads. I also have a 24 - 12 vdc converter hanging off the Battery Equalizer. Could it also have a small parasitic load?  If so, any idea what it could pull?

The refrig. has a 12 vdc requirement, but it is turned off. Could it still be pulling a small load?

I also have a solar controller w/ display and while I do not have the panels connected, the controller is still connected to the batteries. So there could be a small load there as well?

So, I may have more parasitic loads than I realized:

Sure Power Equalizer
12vdc converter?
12vdc refrigerator (although it is turned off)?
Solar Controller?

I know I have no clocks, no stereos, no appliances w/memory and everything else is off.

I'm trying to establish a base-line.

Dirtball

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »

Great thread, I learned alot ,      I have never mastered my inverter settings and probably hurt my first AGM's not setting it correctly.  I had a Trace SW4024 for 7 yrs , took a lightning strike while plugged in at home with no surge protection. The fried board is almost $1000 installed. I bought a new Magnum 4000w with warranty. Smaller , cheaper, done. Gotta plug a guy in NJ http://tekrispower.com/products.php    who sells and services Trace and others. Chris knows his inverters, servicing us , yachts and off-grid folks. If anyone here needs a SW4024 with a cooked board mine is in my garage with the control panel. Chris can fix it for $1000.  The Magnum is much more quiet and per Chris has a smarter charging cycle. ................btw the lightning strike is a normal occurence on my hilltop homestead, and only killed the inverter.... I've toasted well pumps, audio/video gear, lighting, HVAC units...... can't fight 999 bizillion volts, but I do have a surge protect on the bus now and will run around and unplug gear from the wall if I am home during a lightning event, incl the bus. I've had so many strikes, I don't buy fancy audio gear that I'd love to own cause it's only a matter of time, UNLESS I keep it unplugged all the time and would only plug it in to use it.   Anyone near Allentown Pa. , Deka batteries are manufactured here, their 8D gel or AGM can be had for ~$400 if  I were to arrange a group purchase. I had a local worker confide that their 8D cases have had some issues with leakage, but mine are OK after 6-7 yrs.  Cheaper than Lifeline

1996 MCI DL3 Custom Coach conversion
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: