Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 12:05:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6V92T- water in oil  (Read 7170 times)
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »

How about we leave the fighting to the ring, I for one am a little disappointed as to how this thread has gone.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
chuckdrum

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »

Wow... I hadn't check this thread for a few days cuz I figured it was pretty well done; obviously it inadvertently stirred up some s#@^ out there!  BUT, to bring it back to my original problem...

I'm still curious as to what causes a head gasket to blow in a DD that
-is 13 years old
-has only had one previous owner since the rebuild and has never overheated
- only has 94k miles on it

If it was a faulty rebuild for some reason (incorrect torquing or whatever), would it really take this long to manifest itself?  And on the other side of the coin, does it make any sense for such a "young" 6v92T to have such a problem?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »

What does age have to do with engine failure 13 years old is young lol 90,000 miles is roughly 2000 hrs on 10,000 hr engine you see the old DD engines 30 + years old never had a wrench on it but they are low hrs also 3 to 5000 hrs

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 10:18:26 AM »

Wow... I hadn't check this thread for a few days cuz I figured it was pretty well done; obviously it inadvertently stirred up some s#@^ out there!  BUT, to bring it back to my original problem...

I'm still curious as to what causes a head gasket to blow in a DD that
-is 13 years old
-has only had one previous owner since the rebuild and has never overheated
- only has 94k miles on it

If it was a faulty rebuild for some reason (incorrect torquing or whatever), would it really take this long to manifest itself?  And on the other side of the coin, does it make any sense for such a "young" 6v92T to have such a problem?

If the liner heights are good then I would suspect the head torque was not correct.  I have also seen this happen when people tried to rebuild their DD 2-stroke by just putting new rings on the old pistons and reusing the liners.  For some reason the liners distort from new compression heat and blow the compression gaskets (that is with new compression gaskets).

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »

Chuck, I have heard it said more than once that one of the worst things we can do to our buses is not use them. There have been numerous mentions of brittleness and failure of the o-rings due to the motors not being used for long periods of time.

You can have tires with 500 miles on them but if they are 15 years old they are deemed unsafe due to age. I think that it may matter more how much this thing has been driven since the rebuild rather then how many miles ago it was rebuilt.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 08:27:32 PM »

My concern is that he said one of the heads was cracked if i read correctly. What damage has been done to the rest of the engine. I'm like Geoff on this I don't like what I'm reading about this.
not to cause un do concern but these heads don't crack until above 212 deg.'s this engine has been hot some where along the line.

Don
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »

Hi John! I know you been here all along lurking in the shadows like the rest of us lol, But welcome back anywho. Smiley

V.

Van,

I don't think I visited three time over the year(?) I was gone.  Not a lurker, thouigh that isn't a bad thing in any way.  Glad to hear from you as well.

Your Knut bud,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »

My concern is that he said one of the heads was cracked if i read correctly. What damage has been done to the rest of the engine. I'm like Geoff on this I don't like what I'm reading about this.
not to cause un do concern but these heads don't crack until above 212 deg.'s this engine has been hot some where along the line.

Don

Only in case you didn't know who Don Fairchild is..... his is the last word.  My question is could this engine been hot and cracked it's heads and STILL ran a good distance without getting water in the oil?  Did the engine get hot on the ride home and the over-temp shut down failed to protect the engine?  Is the temp monitoring system not working correctly and giving false readings?  I hope you can get Don involved in your problem as that carries a guarantee that while you might not like what you hear you will hear the unvarnished truth.

I think you need to know what ALL is wrong and how to check for that.  heads look like they are coming off and bearings will be "spun" in but I am repeating what was said.  I don't think anybody said that the engine should not have been run to the shop....maybe they are being polite.  I might have run it to the shop but I would have changed the oil in it, not worrying about anything other that 40wt and wasted no time in the trip.  Oil with water in it will rust the innards.

I hope you post what you find out and what Don says as this progresses.

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »

Don, you never know he needs to run the serial number on the engine there was some Greenies with the nice silver paint in that part of the world lol 
I have a friend that cracked a head on his MCI he didn't get all the air out, it never got hot only took a few seconds with no water on that cylinder to crack the head rest of the engine looked great he now has a Fairchild head off Van's old engine hope you did a good job lol

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »

I thought this thread was about "chuckdrum"s water in the oil problems.  There seems to be a lot of skeletons in the closet since I gave up on this board when it went hi-tech a few years ago.
--Geoff

Geoff,

I didn't know you went missing.  I did so myself at about the same time.  From what I remember you were very helpful to numerous Knuts and I and others owe you a debt for your service.  Glad that you are back.

When chusk's engine was found to have a cracked head a member said that if Southern Oregon Diesel (SOD) did the overhaul then the rest of the engine was suspect....or words to that effect.  As in cases a year ago that comment was lobed into the thread like a grenade and when it was questioned the poster simply declared he was thru with the post and wouldn't make any further comment.  I know David, SOD owner, only slightly but he has helped many bus owners i am aware of, is active in the bus owners clubs and is active in community affairs as a member in Rotary like organizations.  I can't see how a shop that sold an overhauled engine can be held liable for overheating damage that must have happened after the engine was installed and the bus left the shop.  As Don said "something isn't right" with the story.  

Now I am not the neighborhood cop or the community conscience but I am ethical.  Were you to be maligned falsely I would most likely rebut that cl;aim if I had any ifo that it was unwarranted.  Or anyone else I know.  Lots of personalities around here, it isn't just an enclave of corp memories and professional advice, and those personalities sometimes get caught crosswise.  Good for them and I feel they can deal with their stuff as adults.  Or children, if they choose.  Its the behind the back stuff with no supportive evidence that bothers me.  And anyone that champions back biting and character assassination doesn't have an opinion I would place much faith in.  Sycophants!  This exact topic was gone thru last year by myself and all the other principle players and it has once again been brought up with the same results.  As you said, "there seems to be a lot of skeletons..."  There are and this is only one of them.

Welcome back and just ignore the occasional load of crap....the place does a lot of good and it is better with your professional contribution.

John

—Pla
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »

those guys in roseburg have fixed lots of stuff right..
course if you want a good trans/rear end rebuild have doug at ratco do it...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »

Moderators when exactly are you gonna tell John Ed to shut up, fly right or leave. The obvious potshots he's taking at Clifford should not be tolerated and you all know it. How many good folks who are actually trying to help people are just gonna get sick of this crap and leave?

Take a little time, go back through the archives and you'll see that this behavior is spread, inflamed and encouraged by him.

This thread is not about vendetta's and personal hearsay, it's about a guy who wants advice and friends trying to give the best advice they can. But then there's John Ed, who just can't get his hands around the fact that Clifford is more right, more consistently, than anyone else here so he has to take potshots at the guy. Go back through the threads and see how many people Clifford has helped and as soon as John Ed has helped more I'll defend him as well

If there's another way to gripe that isn't so public let me know what it is as I would never have posted this here because it's exactly what he wants. A flamefest so he can stand back at the end and say "why is everyone so mad?"

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 06:50:34 AM »

Hi Rick,

At the bottom right corner of every post, in blue letters, are the words "report to moderator". Perhaps you could click on that to report your concerns. I too dislike JohnEd's criticism of luvrbus, who has taught me so much just by reading his posts, but fanning the flames here probably serves no purpose.

Good luck with getting this criticism stopped, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2012, 06:51:18 AM »

You are 100% right Chev49 they has done a lot of work for the Eagle and MCI people some love SOD some don't go back and people should hear both sides and make their own decisions  

It just works that way the more you grow a business the more problems that's the nature of the beast

Rick don't worry about me and JohnEd the hunt for the Deutz Diesel 2 stroke he started a year ago has taken a toll, I am lucky in some ways I have 4 and 6 year granddaughters at home and JohnEd here who could ask for more

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »

At this point, this is a highly theoretic thread.  I appreciate what everyone is trying to do, but there is no definitive answer to be had.  Of course we all appreciate Clifford's knowledge, but there is no reason to be offended on his behalf.  I would not consider him thin skinned, he has a sense of humor, and he is quite capable of taking care of himself.  I also understand John's expression of trust and loyalty for that particular shop.  It seems that several here are being a bit hypersensitive.  I agree that it would be better to PM someone or contact the moderator directly rather than turn the thread personally contentious.  Chill out dudes.

Hey Don, do you still work on buses?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:20:00 AM by Lin » Logged

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: