Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 08:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6V92T- water in oil  (Read 7631 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 07:23:34 AM »

I thought this thread was about "chuckdrum"s water in the oil problems.
--Geoff

Very well said.  Hey folks, everyone has been very respectful of each other, helpful to each other, and enjoyed themselves here lately.  That is how it should be. Let's not restart old arguments and drama.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 07:27:25 AM »

This thread has some very useful information in it. It would be a shame to lock it down.

As has been said. If anyone sees a problem, report it. We'll get there as fast as we can. You may not like the answer, but you will get one. Wink

There is also the ignore button. Use it if you need to, that's why we have it. I can't use it, but have had the desire to on a few occasions! Grin

Play nice and have fun, life is short. Cool

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 08:24:14 AM »

Lin, I am not working on buses at this time, I am in the middle of some bigger engines and am traveling in between so I don't feel I could do right by an owner and Take a year to do any work like you let me have on yours.  I have been trying to post a couple of pic's to the board but cant seam to figure out how.

Clifford I hear what you are saying but he drove this bus some distance home, if it had an air lock don't you think it would cause other damage as well.

inquiring minds would like to know.

Don
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »

I remember losing my mill to over heating bring mine home, was not a pleasant experience . Through it all I have always been given good advice here, so this is a good opportunity to do my once yearly thanks to all who have helped out, Thanks Guys, fer putting up with my growing pains, much Love & respect to you all!

All the Best!
   Van the Man

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »

much Love & respect to you all!

All the Best!
   Van the Man

I don't recall you ever uttering a single discordant word.  Now, I haven't been around for a year so maybe you have picked up some bad habits.....not likely. Cheesy

Thanks for the positive thoughts.....you have always had lots of them.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »

If overheating is a possible cause, at what temps (water temps) should we be concerned? Is 200 a safe number, at what temp does damage start to occur? Or should we be more concerned with EGT temps? Someone once told me that I should be more concerned with EGT temps than water temps.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »

4 stroke diesels with tuners tend to be the ones running high EGT's.  Two strokes don't seem to run the exhaust very hot at all.  I think 900 degrees is about as hot as they get.  Dry block Detroits like 8V71's are less sensitive to water temp overheating than wet block V-92 engines which have O-rings to seal the liners.  They all have rubber O-rings in the head - block surface and they will all crack cylinder heads.  I personally think 200 is safe but watchable, and 220 is pull over and see what's going on, for V-71 engines.  I have no thoughts on V-92's.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »

4 stroke diesels with tuners tend to be the ones running high EGT's.  Two strokes don't seem to run the exhaust very hot at all.  I think 900 degrees is about as hot as they get.  Dry block Detroits like 8V71's are less sensitive to water temp overheating than wet block V-92 engines which have O-rings to seal the liners.  They all have rubber O-rings in the head - block surface and they will all crack cylinder heads.  I personally think 200 is safe but watchable, and 220 is pull over and see what's going on, for V-71 engines.  I have no thoughts on V-92's.

Brian

I have to add to this-- 220 on an 8V71 is damaged engine.  Never go over 200 to play it safe.  The 92 series is a little more forgiving, you can get it up to 210 before you pull over.  I have a working overheat 210F shut-down on my RTS 6V92TA and it has shut me down more than once, and I never had engine damage thanks to it. Since then I have a radiator water spraying system that keeps me cool on the long grades while towing.

Watch those gauges!!

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: