Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:53:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo and water pump replacement advice  (Read 687 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »

We are planning on replacing the turbo and water pump, since we haven't replaced them yet. Figure if we replace them now, then we know that they are good. We will be taking the bus to Central Power Salina, KS to get a transmission warranty issue fixed.

They are saying that the total for replacing both will be $2500, including parts. About 1K for the turbo (stock turbo, nothing fancy, is the plan), 7 hours of labor @ 115 an hour. I am looking for real world thoughts on the price. To me this sounds about right. Do you all have any thoughts?

Thanks,

John
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:41:51 AM by John316 » Logged

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »

A few years back I was going to have the water pump changed on my Series 60.  The price would have been around $600 or so including the pump.  They have a flat rate for water pumps on a Series 60.  I didn't have the pump changed as they found it was not the pump leaking.  My turbo is easy to access and I couldn't see it taking an experienced mechanic more than two hours.

It is a complete pain to change the water pump on my Dina.  Dina made a design decision that completely blocks the water pump.  I did the water pump myself and it was a total pain.  (I've done it twice as I cut the seal the first time and it was leaking oil worse and worse after a few years.)  I possibly could see it taking seven hours on my bus to do both, but I have never seen a D series up close to know if it would take as long as mine.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:41:37 AM »

Thanks, B. That helps.

Anybody else? Clifford?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:01:49 AM »

Doesn't sound bad to me John it will be all Detroit parts and 2500 buys you the piece of mind if something happens any DD dealer will get you back on the road 90 days labor parts 1 year

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:40:42 AM »

Clifford,

That is just the confirmation I was looking for. I didn't think the 2500 was too bad, but wanted to double check.

Thanks,

John

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »

Unless the water pump is leaking, and the turbocharger turbine bearing feels loose, I would leave them alone.  Many times the original water pump can last the life of the engine. And I've seen the turbocharger last the life of the engine also.  Either way, the replacement water pump and turbocharger can be worse and only last a few months or years.  Since you have a Series 60, any mechanic can work on them.  Just leave them till you need them.  Always keep a reserve of $15,000.00 (in credit cards is good) to cover repairs on the road. 

Now if it were a 2 stroke Detroit-I would say at least replace the water pump.  Even though the water pump on a 2 stroke is easy, many shops will just look at the 2 stroke and say no.

I had a cross over fuel line start to leak.  Williams Detroit Diesel in Las Vegas refused to work on the engine-even though it was just a fuel line.  Since, at the time, this was the first trip with the new turbocharger that Don Fairchild had installed, I had no choice but to call Don.  He loaded up his tools and air compressor in his pickup and was at Williams the next morning (Don needed not to much to have an excuse to come to Las Vegas).  He had the coolant drained, thermostat housing off, replaced the fuel line, and reassembled and running in about an hour and a half.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »

I understand John the places you travel it may turn into problems getting service if the 2500 is your blanket go for it TomC makes a good point but I have always had the fear of a turbo coming apart and going through the engine so I changed mine ever 5 years which was around 100,000 miles , 600 bucks for 100,000 miles 6 cents a mile I could live with that 

We all do it different,my memory is not what it was you know the age thing lol but I do remember the water pump and turbo was preventative maintenance on some of my equipment with the 60 series so check the book ,if the bearing fail they just stop a cracked wheel you don't see comes loose different story lol
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:38:49 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:58:41 AM »

TomC and Clifford. Thanks for the thoughts.

Here is why we were going to replace it now. I would rather replace them while we are back and know we have the time. Knowing the way things go, we could lose the turbo on hwy 95 halfway between Winnamuca and Caldwell. My real concern is the turbo pieces would get ingested into the engine. Then we have quite a tow bill on top of that. Then if the water pump seizes (I know worst case, but that does happen) then we would really be in trouble.

It wouldn't surprise me if we could go for a lot longer on the current turbo and pump. I just know how expensive on the road repairs are....

Thanks a lot!

John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: