Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 18, 2017, 10:48:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Gallons of coolant do I buy??  (Read 2498 times)
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2006, 07:58:43 AM »

I'm going to change out the coolant in my 102A3 when I put in the block heater,How many Gallons of antifreeze do I need to buy to refill.Going to use the Rotella ELC.

Tim

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:08:09 AM »

Well, I just did mine (6v92). Before opening the engine preheat loop, I put in 10 gallons of coolant and 6 gallons of distilled. water.  When I opened up the preheat loop, I added another 2 gallons of antifreeze and another gallon of water for a total of 19 gallons. That was a little light on the antifreeze. Only good down to -25, and the next morning when I found that a new hose had leaked 3 gallons out over night  Sad  I added 2 more gallons of antifreeze and another gallon of water. 

Oh yeah, there was 2 qts of DD Powercool in there, too. 19 1/2 gallons total with the preheat loop. 16 1/2 without it.

So, on a 6v92 with cold weather protection (50/50), I'd recommend buying 12 gallons of antifreeze, and 6 gallons of distilled water.

Oh, one other thing, this formula is good when you've flushed the entire system and rinsed it all out so there's only water in the heater cores. If you're not flushing the system, then I'd buy 9 gallons of antifreeze and 9 gallons of water and mix 50/50.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:36:44 AM »

Without sounding too ignorant, how does one tell if the correct antifreeze is in the cooling system?  I have a hose I need to replace which will require draining both radiators and the expansion tank.  If it's the incorrect type, I'll flush it and change it all out, including the heaters and associated plumbing.  If it's correct, I'll just save what comes out and reuse it.

David
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:54 AM »

You can purchase test strips from your local Detroit Dealer.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

David, you can buy an anti-freeze hydrometer at most auto parts stores.  Beware of the cheap ones. Or if you know a diesel mechanic who owns  a refractometer that's the best way to test anti-freeze or battery solution for charge.

My advice: If you're going to own an expensive engine in weather which might freeze the system...invest in a refractometer.  It's the best investment you'll ever make.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 03:12:39 PM »

David,

Whenever you get down here again, I'll let you use my refractometer.

As Bob says, a refractometer is (about) the only accurate way to test antifreeze or battery acid.

Dallas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: