Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 Most Important Emergency Items  (Read 2563 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »

Curious what everyone carries as emergency items to get you down the road in a pinch.  Here's my list of 6:
-Electrical Tape
-Duct Tape (Real Duct Tape, no Duck)
-Bailing Wire
-Plastic Tie Wraps
-90 3M Spray Glue
-First Aide Kit.
Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »

Money

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »

Never thought of spray adhesive.. I do carry everything afore mentioned plus a tube of gasket maker as well as the sheeting ..I used to carry a tire on the roof on our Neoplan.

Have fun !

Eric
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:26:40 AM »

I carry a real comprehensive first aid kit w/snake bite kit, orange safety vest, flares along with the triangles, 10# and 20# extinguishers, wheel chock, tow chain, along with the tools and spare parts.  Nothing like being a prepared Boy Scout.  Oh yeah......and a shotgun.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
lvmci

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »

Hi All, Spare tire, even if not mounted as previously mentioned in the forum, I also have an old computer, with my parts and service manuals on a thumb drive for the 5A, so if I have to have service or parts outside LV/LA I can give the info to a mechanic or parts guy, with accurate #s, I also bring red, black & green spools of 14 gauge wire, inexpensive from pep boys, lvmci...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:37:08 AM by lvmci » Logged

MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

My bus is so old and crotchety I wouldn't want to hit the road with less than all of my sockets and impact drivers,  a portable  air compressor, and all my assorted nuts,bolts and air fittings for the bus.  But really the best tool for me is  decent tow insurance, and a decent stash of $$ for the necessary bits, including assuaging the spouse.

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »

Flare kit
First aid kit
Towed vehicle
Spare starter

After that its just a tool list.  And a good credit card is likely the most important item of all.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »

Fuel Filters was about it I had the standard stuff first aid and flares and I don't ever remember changing the filters on the road the 1st aid kit was never open
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:34:39 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »

besides all the tools, etc.. at least 1 type of welder... n small torch set, grinders, etc.
not to mention aux air compressor, and the 1/2 air hose n 1 in plus every other size air wrench,etc to hook up to the bus air for tires, etc. oh yeah . a sledge, n bead tool... Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »

Man you guys are something I was on vacation not working on a bus lol beside all the tools and parts would have taken up my wife's garage and flea market buying space so that wasn't going to happen 

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »

Phone number to roadside assistance (Coach-Net, Good Sam, AAA, etc.)

I carry:

Socket, screwdrivers, and other tools.
First aid kit
Warning triangles
Fire extinguisher
Wire
Fuel filters and filter wrench
Various screws and misc hardware
Spare belts for fan and alternator
Extra hose and hose clamps
Gallon antifreeze
Oil and tranny fluid
Heat gun
Grinder
Cordless tools including sawzall
Various terminals and butt connectors
Electrical and foil tape
Plastic tie wraps
Small sledgehammer

No baling wire.  I carry this stuff in case of breakdown, not intending to work on the bus.  Some of the tools are for my destination and not necessarily for the bus.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
goutoe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »

I definately keep a spare key for the toad in my bus.
Dewalt Drill driver
soldering gun
plenty of wire ties
spare fuses & wire
Vise grips
Wd 40 & silicone spray
hose clamps
small battery charger
air hose & a tire guage
test light and multi meter
and just about every thing else I can think of as I walk through my shop on the way out!

John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »

Water filter!
Bus Nut magazines
Diet Coke
Ham Radio
Passport

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »

spool of 14 & 10 gage wire with electrical tape.
multi-plier
test light
basic tool set
type 2 adhesive (the black tarry stuff)
flashlight
fire extinguisher
first aid kit (keeps the wife happy)

Unfortunately I've used that fire extinguisher too many times.

I usually clean out my rigs before long trips.  I have this karma thing where the more tools I take, the more I need.  I used to have an International 5-ton to pull my trailer with that featured a gas-engine powered miller welder-generator and an air hose on a reel.  That cussed thing got real exciting to drive cross-country.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »

Everything mentioned above, plus beer in the fridge. Enough tools I could just about do an inframe on the side of the road, LOL.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »

If you are in Arizona, your best tool is calling somebody who can deal with your problems.

--Geoff
General Diesel Service
928-771-0045

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »

I would think that good cell phone service and internet access would be the most important -- a toad would also be helpful to get parts and supplys if necessary but I have ridden my bicycle to get a belt for the genset when it decided to give up the ghost and we were sans toad.

Being able to get on this site and phone numbers would seem to be the most important to me.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Geoff, you out of money. LOl  good plug

When are we going to meet. You might want to thing about coming to TN the last of Aug, and visit at Bk's.

Don
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »

OOH forgot the two most important things:  bottled water and extra t.p.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »

Mel's right - I should have had internet access on my list.  When we blew up in Syracuse I posted here and within the hour had useful advice and information plus a never to be forgotten phone call out of the blue.  This BBS made a bad night bearable.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »

Ok guys not hijack TomC's post but if you could just have 1 item aboard what would that item be, for me it would be a starter what say the rest

Seems like when I stop and try to help people broke down on the road it is always a bad starter or blown engine 

good luck

rusty

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:08 AM »

Mark, Good idea about the snake bite kit. My first aid kit has everything else. While fishing in Wyoming a rattler tried to crawl up the ladder and get in the boat. I beat the s$%^ out of the boat and the snake now my first aid kit needs a boat repair kit. Where do you get a snake bite kit?

Wayne
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »

I dunno about the guys with their electronical engines but for us dinosaur owners I agree with you Clifford - if its got fuel and it turns over then its gotta run.  That makes a starter top of my list.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
My website
Our weblog
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »

I guess maybe i ought to start thinking about getting a spare starter. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:14 AM »

Having a starter maybe good (especially if you have a V drive left hand rotation engine)-but in 1.3 million miles of driving, I was only disabled once with a bad starter in Houston.  Had a mobile mechanic come and was back in service in 4 hours.

When my remote oil filter broke off in the middle of Cal 299 between Redding and Eureka, I was thankful of having my generator based roof top A/C's still running in the hot summer heat.  A mechanic from Eureka came out and took him about 2 hours to replace the filter.  That filter leaked, so the next day he came out again with a different filter.  That one still leaked, and once home, I remounted the filter head across the engine compartment just inside the right engine door.  That filter head always leaked a bit.  Don Fairchild replaced it and hasn't leaked since.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »

Wayne I really can't remember but it may have been Grainger.  Cabela, Bass Pro, REI should have them.  I felt like nothing could be more miserable than a bite or sting when you're in the bush.  They have tick removal kits too.  Heck, I found a black widow in my Silverside when I took it apart (dead).  And I was working under a bus once and had a scorpion crawl up within a couple feet of my head.  These Northern Pacific rattlers we have out here east of the Cascades are not aggressive.  I've killed lots of them and not one of them rattled at me.  They'll bite if you get your hands and feet close to them though.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »

Clifford, I like the starter idea although in the seven years I have had the bus I have had an air line brake and a fuel filter problem, both around the Albuquerque area. Sure glad flat spot was there ( thank you Larry ). I did not think about the snake bite kit, that's a good idea as I do like to go fishing from time to time. I do have to say if a snake can bite through my sweets and waiters than I should not have been messing with him in the first place.

I don't carry very many tools I am like Clifford I am on vacation even when I am travailing for business.

Don
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »

You've all come up with good ideas & lists but the absolute bar none best thing to have is a list of fellow busnuts to call on along the way. When we broke down in Atlanta I made contact with numerous busnuts in the area & all over the country looking for parts & the RIGHT place to take the bus. Some folks were even helping me find the parts & getting them shipped in overnite if needed. So again I say the very most important thing is my phone #'s to all of you...

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »

Beer or liquor and a credit card.  I try to do my maintaince at home.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

I agree a bottle of rum to drowned my sorrows and a cell phone to call for help.
OH? and the assortment of tools and and other misc. items I carry in the basement.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »

Most of whats been said and a battery charger. Don't bring along to many parts have not had the time or money to get spar parts they all seem to go on the bus right away lol

Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »

Some of the spares I carry are things like old belts.  I replaced the old belts with new ones since I had no idea how long the original belts had been installed.  I would rather take up a little bay space with parts I should never need than not have them if they do happen to break on the road.

Last summer I replaced a lot of the coolant hoses on my bus at home so they wouldn't break on the road.  I used a Gates Powergrip clamp on a tricky place to use a regular clamp.  Well, the heat from the turbo melted the Powergrip going up a steep grade.  I was able to grab a hose clamp from my spare parts bin and have the problem fixed in minutes.  It took longer to fill the radiator up with water than it did to fix the clamp.

As an Eagle Scout I live by the whole be prepared thing.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 05:44:47 PM »

A spare belt on an MCI is a good idea.  I have one, but really should check if it is the right size.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: