Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:25:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 Most Important Emergency Items  (Read 2527 times)
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »

If you are in Arizona, your best tool is calling somebody who can deal with your problems.

--Geoff
General Diesel Service
928-771-0045

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »

I would think that good cell phone service and internet access would be the most important -- a toad would also be helpful to get parts and supplys if necessary but I have ridden my bicycle to get a belt for the genset when it decided to give up the ghost and we were sans toad.

Being able to get on this site and phone numbers would seem to be the most important to me.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Geoff, you out of money. LOl  good plug

When are we going to meet. You might want to thing about coming to TN the last of Aug, and visit at Bk's.

Don
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »

OOH forgot the two most important things:  bottled water and extra t.p.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »

Mel's right - I should have had internet access on my list.  When we blew up in Syracuse I posted here and within the hour had useful advice and information plus a never to be forgotten phone call out of the blue.  This BBS made a bad night bearable.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »

Ok guys not hijack TomC's post but if you could just have 1 item aboard what would that item be, for me it would be a starter what say the rest

Seems like when I stop and try to help people broke down on the road it is always a bad starter or blown engine 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:08 AM »

Mark, Good idea about the snake bite kit. My first aid kit has everything else. While fishing in Wyoming a rattler tried to crawl up the ladder and get in the boat. I beat the s$%^ out of the boat and the snake now my first aid kit needs a boat repair kit. Where do you get a snake bite kit?

Wayne
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »

I dunno about the guys with their electronical engines but for us dinosaur owners I agree with you Clifford - if its got fuel and it turns over then its gotta run.  That makes a starter top of my list.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:42 AM »

I guess maybe i ought to start thinking about getting a spare starter. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:14 AM »

Having a starter maybe good (especially if you have a V drive left hand rotation engine)-but in 1.3 million miles of driving, I was only disabled once with a bad starter in Houston.  Had a mobile mechanic come and was back in service in 4 hours.

When my remote oil filter broke off in the middle of Cal 299 between Redding and Eureka, I was thankful of having my generator based roof top A/C's still running in the hot summer heat.  A mechanic from Eureka came out and took him about 2 hours to replace the filter.  That filter leaked, so the next day he came out again with a different filter.  That one still leaked, and once home, I remounted the filter head across the engine compartment just inside the right engine door.  That filter head always leaked a bit.  Don Fairchild replaced it and hasn't leaked since.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »

Wayne I really can't remember but it may have been Grainger.  Cabela, Bass Pro, REI should have them.  I felt like nothing could be more miserable than a bite or sting when you're in the bush.  They have tick removal kits too.  Heck, I found a black widow in my Silverside when I took it apart (dead).  And I was working under a bus once and had a scorpion crawl up within a couple feet of my head.  These Northern Pacific rattlers we have out here east of the Cascades are not aggressive.  I've killed lots of them and not one of them rattled at me.  They'll bite if you get your hands and feet close to them though.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »

Clifford, I like the starter idea although in the seven years I have had the bus I have had an air line brake and a fuel filter problem, both around the Albuquerque area. Sure glad flat spot was there ( thank you Larry ). I did not think about the snake bite kit, that's a good idea as I do like to go fishing from time to time. I do have to say if a snake can bite through my sweets and waiters than I should not have been messing with him in the first place.

I don't carry very many tools I am like Clifford I am on vacation even when I am travailing for business.

Don
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:26 PM »

You've all come up with good ideas & lists but the absolute bar none best thing to have is a list of fellow busnuts to call on along the way. When we broke down in Atlanta I made contact with numerous busnuts in the area & all over the country looking for parts & the RIGHT place to take the bus. Some folks were even helping me find the parts & getting them shipped in overnite if needed. So again I say the very most important thing is my phone #'s to all of you...

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »

Beer or liquor and a credit card.  I try to do my maintaince at home.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

I agree a bottle of rum to drowned my sorrows and a cell phone to call for help.
OH? and the assortment of tools and and other misc. items I carry in the basement.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: