Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 10:53:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will carpet with foam backing work on walls?  (Read 775 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »

Will carpet with foam backing work on walls?  Will I have problems getting it glued to the wall and staying glued to the wall?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »

When used on the floor the foam backing eventually crumbles and turns to dust - whether this is a result of mechanical damage (ie, continuous impacts from the carpet being walked on), or because of aging or some sorts of chemical deterioration I don't know; I dare say such carpet would last a while if stuck to a wall with glue, but despite the higher initial cost I would personally go for a rubber-backed or woven-backed contract carpeting every time.

Contract carpet is, in my experience, very close to the OEM carpet fitted by the vehicle manufacturers. In my garage I've still got loads of panels which came out of the inside of my bus, from the walls and also the ceiling. They've all got carpeting glued to them with contact adhesive, and 20 years after the bus was built that carpet is still stuck down really well - so well that all you can do is pull off a small area at one corner, then painstakingly slice off the rest with a knife.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »

Jute backed carpet was glued to the inside of my bus including the outsire of the bathroom and it was stuck real good. I glued 80's/90's 1/4 in. thick trunk padding  up the first 4 feet on the bedroom walls, still there. Also glued it to inside top,sides, an bottom of overhead compartment above bed, still nice. This stuff has no pile and is grey on one side and black on other side.   
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:24 PM »

The glue you use is critical.  Here in CA, due to environmental laws, a lot of glues are not what they used to be.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »

Use just the raw carpet-no foam backing.  We used a lightweight outdoor carpeting on the walls with Dupont 90 spray.  You need to spray a pretty liberal layer so not to come apart later.  Our carpet on the ceiling in the bedroom has pulled off in some spots-but just looks a little droopy-so not worried.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

Just so I understand, we're talking new carpet correct?  Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »

Yes, new carpet.  The reason for foam backing is to absorb more sound, but I'm leaning towards some indoor/outdoor carpet with no backing from either Home Depot or Menards.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »

I've had my eye on some marine carpet from Lowes... probably other box stores as well.

Nice colors, easy to handle, priced reasonable, and it has a bit of stretch that might help when pulling around odd shapes.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »

Are you particular about whether the carpet matches the drapes?   Grin

Cheers, John
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »

My brother discovered it, but I have used kitchen carpet for a few cars now.  It has a rubber bottom, glues down good and insulates well.  It's generally short pile so it would look good on walls too I think.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: