Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 07:17:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First mini-split is installed  (Read 3395 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 04:38:19 AM »

I had one left over from trade and before I found It Duwayne loaned me.  his  with all  gauges.. I since found mine.  A refill kit on Ebay is 57 dollars including gauges and adapter the refiled is 37.  nice to have on have in case of a aw-shir striation.   pull vac close gauge if it holds 20 minutes 99% safe to go.   keep all lines fasten down and insulated.  you will be amazed..  Head is starting to clear a little.  Doc Kook had good drugs pulled staples yesterday and said walk more.   Bob   ps lots of returning soldiers from sthe gulf wars did this akk time es civilians cut lines and moved to differant room=gi you fix it

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Are you saying that those vacuum pumps from harbor freight wouldn't cut it? 

I don't have any experience with them so I can only guess.  But the pump has to be high quality to pull the vacuum needed, it must not leak back through the pump during the "leak test" period, and the gauges must be accurate enough to tell you what the vacuum level is and whether it changes over the time period of the leak test.   

My experience with Harbor Freight is that the tools fall into one of the following three categories:
1)  Work pretty well and last a reasonably long time ... (rare, IME),
2)  Work OK for a while and then fall apart,
3)  Total junk right out of the box.

Since category 2) is the most common, I look at Harbor Freight as "rental" -- if what they cost is what it would be worth to you to use them twice and throw them away, then they're "worth it".  But generally, the more high-tech an item is, the more likely it is to be category 3).  I'm not saying not to try the Harbor Freight pump and gauges, but don't be surprised if they don't work for you (** in my opinion **, other people have had different results).

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: