Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 18, 2018, 04:06:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use one of these?  (Read 2474 times)
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ramsond-SunRay-1500-3000-W-Watt-Pure-Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter-12V-Solar-RV-Boat-/360433956119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item92b0c10ec1#ht_9772wt_722

Price is nice but are they junk? Just need it for a 16 cf fridge..

Have fun !

Eric
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »

The 1 amp idle current seems a bit high to me.  Otherwise, it will probably do the job at a pretty low cost.  It does not have an AC pass through so you will have to move the refer plug every time you connect to the pole or generator.

It is also not designed for a permanent hardwired connection, only plug in.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »

from Amazon.com, check to be sure that you get a good one...
ps the other reviews were all 5 star....

This review is from: Ramsond SunRay 1500/3000 Watts W True Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Generator (Remote Starter Ready) Back Up 12V DC to 115V 60Hz AC RV Truck Car Solar Off Grid ETL Listed to Conform to UL 458 STD

Works ok, but the voltage is a little on the low side and can be seen in lights. It runs about 109 volts without a load and 105 volt with about a 100 watt load.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »

Len- You could use an automatic or manual transfer switch.

Eagle- Even though it says it is pure sign wave, inverters really only approach pure sign wave, so the voltage measurement given in the review may be wrong if it was not taken with the correct type of meter.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 12:11:09 PM »

The 1 amp idle current seems a bit high to me.  Otherwise, it will probably do the job at a pretty low cost.  It does not have an AC pass through so you will have to move the refer plug every time you connect to the pole or generator.

It is also not designed for a permanent hardwired connection, only plug in.  

There are many features on a "full-integrated" inverter that are not included on this one.  There's no charger for batteries and no tie into batteries (expect for the 12V in and 12v output -- both of which look pretty flimsy for a 1500/3000 watt inverter); no arrangement for control of anything other than "bar-graph" readouts, plug in connections that are totally against code about everywhere, and many others; I'm also a bit afraid of it's standby control if it uses 1 amp at idle.  There may be some "odd-ball" uses for it but as a basis for any kind of central electrical system on a converted coach, it wouldn't work for most people.

Besides, I've seen *very few* people who had anything to do with Ramsond products that came away with anything good to say about the experience.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »

Bruce,, you think that explains the" special low price"??>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Bus Busted
My other truck is a Bus!

1984 Eagle 10, 1986 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »

So what are the guys "in the know" using? I've been using two 1500's for some simple stuff, but I too am ready for something for the final build...

1985 Eagle waiting repair of burn damage
1984 Eagle Model 10, just started conversion
1986 MCI 102A3, seated when bought, conversion on hold until Eagle is done
Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102

MCI-9 & MCI-102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »

The "in the know" guys are using pure sine wave inverters with some great automatic electronic features...but seriously, the cost of 5000 watts of power at 24 volts (a number our bus alternators/generators are capable of) in an inverter is just ridiculous. By the time you pay for a 5000 watt pure sine wave 24 volt inverter, you're well on your way to having a nice efficient liquid cooled diesel genset that doesn't stop generating power when the bus is turned off. I'd love to get inverters for ours, but I just don't idle all night at truck stops because of wet stacking and engine heat warming up the bedroom a lot during summer nights. So I run a quiet generator...works for us...

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »

Bruce,, you think that explains the" special low price"??>>>Dan 

Few features, not legally useable, poor reputation, Huh reliability -- nah, couldn't possibly be that!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »

I  thought he was just talking about running a frig on it.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »

I have one of those and one of the diesel generators from rand some. The inverter seems to be ok but I had nothing but trouble with the Bennie it wouldn't start at first and then when it did start it would sputter until I put. An external fuel pump on iit. It seems to work now. I got both for free for all the trouble I had with the company and amazon refunded another $800 
 On top of that to me, seems the right hand didn't know what the left was doing...so I got two refunds,I told them. They did this and never heard back again.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: