Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 08:01:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby's getting a face lift  (Read 2758 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »

Tomorrow, my coach goes in for a paint job.  Cheesy   Going from blue to Arctic White (Corvette White).   A little roof repair and new roof coat. $2000.00    Around June 21st when I get home to Florida, it's getting a complete buffing $1000.00.
New set of front rubber, price depends on what deal I can find in Lakeland/Tampa area.    Huh

Grin

Bill
This bus is forsale!

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »

Before and after pics would be drooling fodder

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:59:20 AM »

Tomorrow, my coach goes in for a paint job.  Cheesy   Going from blue to Arctic White (Corvette White).   A little roof repair and new roof coat. $2000.00    Around June 21st when I get home to Florida, it's getting a complete buffing $1000.00.
New set of front rubber, price depends on what deal I can find in Lakeland/Tampa area.    Huh

Grin

Bill
This bus is forsale!

Hey Bill .... "A two-thousand dollar paint job?"  Man, that is a hoot.  Good luck on this.  I too want to see pictures of that.  

Do you mean that they are going to shoot the roof only and not the entire bus, is that what you are talking about here, a roof job?

By the way, if it is quality work and a good paint job, it requires no rub out or buffing.   

BCO
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:03:28 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:08:28 AM »

Hi Bill,

Just curious, if you are selling the bus, why would you spend $3000 to have it painted? Will you get any return on that investment?

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »

Not sure why BCO is laughing...$2000 to repaint the roof and $1000 to polish-up the rest of the bus seems clear and reasonable. I'm sure it will look much better as a result - whether it'll be worth $3000 more I couldn't say

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:09 AM »

You cannot even get a $2000 paint job in Mexico,Bill got a bargain for the paint job ( maybe) a 1000 bucks for polishing the S/S is a little steep

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »

I believe what Bill is saying is he's getting the whole bus painted, and the roof re-coated, and the stainless polished!

Remember this is a "9" and has the lower 1/2 in stainless.

I can't say he'll get a "Starjet" quality paint job for $2000, but it's possible he'll get a reasonable basic paint job for $2000.

I've seen worse for more and better for le$$!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »

2000 sounds ok for a Star Jet paint job I saw a few 2000 would be overpriced lol  the basic 1 color paint jobs here cost around 4 grand cheapest I found just for plain 1 coat enamel paint not a bad price he got

good luck

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »

t
I can't say he'll get a "Starjet" quality paint job for $2000, but it's possible he'll get a reasonable basic paint job for $2000.

I hope he gets WAY better then "Starjet" quality. If you want to see Starjet quality, look at our bus. The paint job on it is horrible. Not to mention they messed everything else they touched on the bus. I would never recommend Starjet, and have talked to quite a few other folks in the bus industry, and we found out few others do recommend them.

I do know they are capable of quality work. They did Nick's coach, and I think he was happy (my guess is they did a good job with his, so he would send others from the board, their way....just a hunch). What I do know is they did a really bad job to our bus (and yes, it is all documented).

Beware.

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »

It seems everyone is interpreting the original post in different ways; to me it clearly says that the roof is having a repair and being painted for $2k, and the rest of the bus is being polished for $1k.

But possibly the whole bus is being painted - the "blue to white" comment suggests that, but that could equally apply to just the roof. Either way I'm sure the $2k price just relates to the roof.

No doubt Bill himself will log-on soon and wonder about all the speculation.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:25:27 AM »

My 5C has a Starjet paint job from 1987. Judging by how good it still looks, it was  high quality work.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

My 5C has a Starjet paint job from 1987. Judging by how good it still looks, it was  high quality work.

JC

Then they probably used to do good work. I would be surprised if ours lasts another three, before we repaint it.

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »

StarJet has done very little great work since his brother left and went to work for Marathon in Or his brother does good work for Marathon at a price  LOL

I have saw some $15,000 + paint jobs I would not have payed for not only from StarJet
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:57:02 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »

I love you guys, you make me laugh.     Grin

I put an ad on Craig's List, looking for a painter.  Had three replies, two were unemployed.  One had a little shop in his backyard.  He's happy to have the work.

The entire bus, (including roof) for $2,000.  Will it be a five star paint job, of course not.  Will it pass the 20ft rule, yes.
I paid for the roof coating, he is paying for paint.  As stated, taking the bus from Blue, (see photo on my profile) to Corvette white. ( Arctic white has been used on 9 years of Corvette ).  After the paint, I hope to add some simple graphics.

The best thing is it will be completed by June 21st when I fly into Tampa for vacation.  Any other arrangement I had would have required me to spend half my vacation sanding the bus.

Wish me luck, and yes, I will post photos when I get home.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »

I'm hoping to re-spray my own when the time comes.  Polish all the stainless, and probably paint the remainder of the bus silver.

Cheers, John
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »

I'm hoping to re-spray my own when the time comes.  Polish all the stainless, and probably paint the remainder of the bus silver.    Cheers, John 

I went to a very large %-age white.  The difference in inside temperature in the sun during the day is amazing.  A light silver should work similarly well.  (My bus needed a lot of fiberglass work on the front and rear "caps", so I got pushed into painting before I really wanted to but it all worked out OK.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

Not sure why BCO is laughing...$2000 to repaint the roof and $1000 to polish-up the rest of the bus seems clear and reasonable. I'm sure it will look much better as a result - whether it'll be worth $3000 more I couldn't say

Jeremy

Florida luxury coach gets $600 to polish out a stainless Prevo, $1K for a polish job is a tad bit overpriced.  As for laughing, look at it for what it is.  It took 11 gallons to professionally paint my bus, this does not count clear coat.  Assuming Bill's bus took the same, that means his paint would cost $181.00 per gallon, that is hard to believe at today's prices. 

A few years ago, when I painted my bus, Imron two-step for example was $400 per a gallon and compared to some automotive paints sold over the counter today, that is cheap.  (Some red colors for example are now over $600 a quart)

I did ask if he was painting the entire bus or just the roof.  Bill said, "Tomorrow, my coach goes in for a paint job."  That to me sounded or read like "the entire coach and not a partial." 

$2K for a paint job on a bus, good deal or not, is pretty amusing, if you have any idea whatsoever on what paintwork and bodywork is bringing these days.  Unfortunately here, a lot of bus guys know the cost of everything ... But the value of nothing. 

It will, in all probability look like a $2,000 backyard paint job. (And everyone wonders why the campground owners are vigorously opposing parking sites to older buses?) 

You get what you pay for, and Clifford is right, often you don't even get that. 

BCO

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

I'm not sure you could buy the paint for $2000.  2 days ago I picked up 2.5 qts of tinted Sherwin Williams Dimension, 2 qts of clear and a 5 gal bucket of gunwash - just over $600 out the door.  Not even close to enough to do a whole bus and I got bodyshop pricing. 

I hope it works out well for you Bill but it sounds too good to be true to me.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »

I bought pint of Texaco red for a gas pump I am restoring $154.18 for paint only for a pump I paid 40 bucks for lol wacky to say the least 

You can buy equipment enamel at a place like Tractor Supply for 65 a gal I saw some white on sale there for 35 a gal, I don't think I would advance Bill's painter any cash up front YMMD

rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »

Rustoleum, $27/gallon!

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

If the bus was just getting polished, it would cost about $550.00  Unfortunate for me, the stainless is very oxidize. Which will require a lot more man hours.

As far as the paint job, we'll see.  Anything will look better than it does now.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 06:09:48 AM »

If the bus was just getting polished, it would cost about $550.00 Unfortunate for me, the stainless is very oxidize. Which will require a lot more man hours.

As far as the paint job, we'll see.  Anything will look better than it does now.

Bill

If the bus was just getting polished, it would cost about $550.00

That sounds about right there Bill, and if you have ever done any of that sort of thing, "it is well worth the coin to pay to have it done."  If I could find someone around here (my location) to do it for me, I would hire them post haste.

It is messy, time consuming and a real pain ... My bus and trailer are loaded with diamond plate and there are a lot of hours spent keeping it up to snuff.  Not much fun ... but then again ... that is the nature of the beast.

BCO
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:11:53 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

chev49

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 06:58:27 AM »

My paint supplies minus the clear coat part, were $914 for 3 color basic plain and metallic paints. Most of the stuff i got from the industrial finishes car paint wholesale store here, except i bought the paint online at paintforcars.com.  I think i bought 6 gallons paint, 2 primer, etc. This is for paint products only, not masking paper, etc as i keep that in stock.  It doesn't also include things like decals or pinstripe stuff. I think now days it takes close to 2k just for supplies for everything if you are using the average paint and average clear coat system. 
Try buying a House of Kolor paint system now days for a bus.... need big checkbook for that. 

I don't see how anyone can polish the busses for 550.. too many man hours.. guess they are paid very cheaply.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »

I can do one in 2 days myself using 3M supercut and Evercoat triple cut I have a friend in Rogers Ar that did all of Vogues S/S polishing he could do 1 a day and 350 to 500 was about the price he got and still does from the Prevost crowd lol  

People that do it for a living don't use the jewelers rouge like they tell too here on the board that stuff is the pits, if it is real bad he uses a 1500 grit diamond pad then the 3M

I would not want to do it for a lively hood for sure but I do help my friends

good luck
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:42:59 AM by luvrbus » Logged

chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »

Clifford:  Even though I worked at 3M, and looked on line, what type of super cut do you use? and same with the Evercoat triple, there is a scratch buffing material as well as others on the evercoat triple brand.  i.e. exactly what products are you using?

Thanks

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn
35 Foot Prevost
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »

Chuck. I use 3M fast cut with a foam pad around 50 bucks a qt now I see why it cost so much we have to help support your bus amazing product the fast cut most of the headlight restore products they sell are fast cut in different bottle the product works on about everything

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

Chuck. I use 3M fast cut with a foam pad around 50 bucks a qt now I see why it cost so much we have to help support your bus amazing product the fast cut most of the headlight restore products they sell are fast cut in different bottle the product works on about everything

I talked to the gunner (Van the tank commando) the other day Clifford and he said he was stripping his bus, I don't know what he is using to do it with.

BCO

flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »

Bill,

I like the color choice.  I painted my bus Artic White to match my old corvette.  I think the white and the polished stainless is a great combination.

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »

LOL Van does that Don then he gets tired and paints it back Red

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 05:36:17 AM »

LOL Van does that Don then he gets tired and paints it back Red

He does that? 

When I talked to him last he said he was prepping it for paint but he did not mention the same color.  Personally, I cannot see it myself, when it gets up to 80* in my shop, and I shut down for the day (start early - finish early) and this guy is doing all of this outside in the Nevada desert?

Better man than me, that is for sure. 

But of course it is a "dry heat."  Hahahahahahahaha  I think I just hurt myself.  Oh yeah, Norma Jean didn't answer the PM so much for the fender flares I guess.

BCO

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 05:58:32 AM »

The dry heat sucks Don,  107 here in Scottsdale Sat I am putting a H1 Humvee back together for my son he bought and tore everything down not knowing what him and his buddies were doing and it is a nightmare working on payment in the open without a shop.
I don't know some of these guys here work on buses on blocks in the open lol I guess if our military people can work on the H in the field without a shop and in the dirt I shouldn't complain much about concrete but the stuff really gets hot around 2:30 then it's Miller time for me 

Van is my go to guy for the Humvee he knows those things all I know is I don't want one lol  you think bus parts are expensive buy some Humvee parts

good luck 

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »

The dry heat sucks Don,  107 here in Scottsdale Sat I am putting a H1 Humvee back together for my son he bought and tore everything down not knowing what him and his buddies were doing and it is a nightmare working on payment in the open without a shop.

Van is my go to guy for the Humvee he knows those things all I know is I don't want one lol  you think bus parts are expensive buy some Humvee parts

good luck 

We were down there two years ago, and it was so hot, I saw a dog chasing a cat and BOTH of them were walking!  Van is a good guy ... He sure was a lot of help during my recent breakdown in the Silver State, he helped me out immensely.  We have bonded now, we can hug each other as long as he doesn't reach down and cup my rear, there are limits to bus brotherhood y'know.  (Sonnie gets the same deal)

BCO

Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »

Steven,

Yep! going to look a lot like your bus.  The plan is to put some simple graphics on the sides to break up the white.  Thinking of a little red and prewter. Still open about this.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »

1st Rain delay.  It was pouring rain the day my brother was to move the bus to the painters.
Now, it can't get it started.  He tells me it turns over just fine, but won't fine.  Hopefully a friend of his
will stop by in the next couple of days to help with the problem.  Of course, I'm 7000 miles away, not much help.

Sad

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: