Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 04:50:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby's getting a face lift  (Read 2750 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »

I'm hoping to re-spray my own when the time comes.  Polish all the stainless, and probably paint the remainder of the bus silver.    Cheers, John 

I went to a very large %-age white.  The difference in inside temperature in the sun during the day is amazing.  A light silver should work similarly well.  (My bus needed a lot of fiberglass work on the front and rear "caps", so I got pushed into painting before I really wanted to but it all worked out OK.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »

Not sure why BCO is laughing...$2000 to repaint the roof and $1000 to polish-up the rest of the bus seems clear and reasonable. I'm sure it will look much better as a result - whether it'll be worth $3000 more I couldn't say

Jeremy

Florida luxury coach gets $600 to polish out a stainless Prevo, $1K for a polish job is a tad bit overpriced.  As for laughing, look at it for what it is.  It took 11 gallons to professionally paint my bus, this does not count clear coat.  Assuming Bill's bus took the same, that means his paint would cost $181.00 per gallon, that is hard to believe at today's prices. 

A few years ago, when I painted my bus, Imron two-step for example was $400 per a gallon and compared to some automotive paints sold over the counter today, that is cheap.  (Some red colors for example are now over $600 a quart)

I did ask if he was painting the entire bus or just the roof.  Bill said, "Tomorrow, my coach goes in for a paint job."  That to me sounded or read like "the entire coach and not a partial." 

$2K for a paint job on a bus, good deal or not, is pretty amusing, if you have any idea whatsoever on what paintwork and bodywork is bringing these days.  Unfortunately here, a lot of bus guys know the cost of everything ... But the value of nothing. 

It will, in all probability look like a $2,000 backyard paint job. (And everyone wonders why the campground owners are vigorously opposing parking sites to older buses?) 

You get what you pay for, and Clifford is right, often you don't even get that. 

BCO

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

I'm not sure you could buy the paint for $2000.  2 days ago I picked up 2.5 qts of tinted Sherwin Williams Dimension, 2 qts of clear and a 5 gal bucket of gunwash - just over $600 out the door.  Not even close to enough to do a whole bus and I got bodyshop pricing. 

I hope it works out well for you Bill but it sounds too good to be true to me.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »

I bought pint of Texaco red for a gas pump I am restoring $154.18 for paint only for a pump I paid 40 bucks for lol wacky to say the least 

You can buy equipment enamel at a place like Tractor Supply for 65 a gal I saw some white on sale there for 35 a gal, I don't think I would advance Bill's painter any cash up front YMMD

Life is short drink the good wine first
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »

Rustoleum, $27/gallon!

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

If the bus was just getting polished, it would cost about $550.00  Unfortunate for me, the stainless is very oxidize. Which will require a lot more man hours.

As far as the paint job, we'll see.  Anything will look better than it does now.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 06:09:48 AM »

If the bus was just getting polished, it would cost about $550.00 Unfortunate for me, the stainless is very oxidize. Which will require a lot more man hours.

As far as the paint job, we'll see.  Anything will look better than it does now.

Bill

If the bus was just getting polished, it would cost about $550.00

That sounds about right there Bill, and if you have ever done any of that sort of thing, "it is well worth the coin to pay to have it done."  If I could find someone around here (my location) to do it for me, I would hire them post haste.

It is messy, time consuming and a real pain ... My bus and trailer are loaded with diamond plate and there are a lot of hours spent keeping it up to snuff.  Not much fun ... but then again ... that is the nature of the beast.

BCO
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:11:53 AM by boxcarOkie » Logged

chev49

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 06:58:27 AM »

My paint supplies minus the clear coat part, were $914 for 3 color basic plain and metallic paints. Most of the stuff i got from the industrial finishes car paint wholesale store here, except i bought the paint online at paintforcars.com.  I think i bought 6 gallons paint, 2 primer, etc. This is for paint products only, not masking paper, etc as i keep that in stock.  It doesn't also include things like decals or pinstripe stuff. I think now days it takes close to 2k just for supplies for everything if you are using the average paint and average clear coat system. 
Try buying a House of Kolor paint system now days for a bus.... need big checkbook for that. 

I don't see how anyone can polish the busses for 550.. too many man hours.. guess they are paid very cheaply.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »

I can do one in 2 days myself using 3M supercut and Evercoat triple cut I have a friend in Rogers Ar that did all of Vogues S/S polishing he could do 1 a day and 350 to 500 was about the price he got and still does from the Prevost crowd lol  

People that do it for a living don't use the jewelers rouge like they tell too here on the board that stuff is the pits, if it is real bad he uses a 1500 grit diamond pad then the 3M

I would not want to do it for a lively hood for sure but I do help my friends

good luck
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:42:59 AM by luvrbus » Logged

chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »

Clifford:  Even though I worked at 3M, and looked on line, what type of super cut do you use? and same with the Evercoat triple, there is a scratch buffing material as well as others on the evercoat triple brand.  i.e. exactly what products are you using?

Thanks

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn
35 Foot Prevost
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »

Chuck. I use 3M fast cut with a foam pad around 50 bucks a qt now I see why it cost so much we have to help support your bus amazing product the fast cut most of the headlight restore products they sell are fast cut in different bottle the product works on about everything

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »

Chuck. I use 3M fast cut with a foam pad around 50 bucks a qt now I see why it cost so much we have to help support your bus amazing product the fast cut most of the headlight restore products they sell are fast cut in different bottle the product works on about everything

I talked to the gunner (Van the tank commando) the other day Clifford and he said he was stripping his bus, I don't know what he is using to do it with.

BCO

flynbanjo

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »

Bill,

I like the color choice.  I painted my bus Artic White to match my old corvette.  I think the white and the polished stainless is a great combination.

Steven

Steven
81 MCI MC9
Hudson, Florida
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 12:34:31 PM »

LOL Van does that Don then he gets tired and paints it back Red

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 05:36:17 AM »

LOL Van does that Don then he gets tired and paints it back Red

He does that? 

When I talked to him last he said he was prepping it for paint but he did not mention the same color.  Personally, I cannot see it myself, when it gets up to 80* in my shop, and I shut down for the day (start early - finish early) and this guy is doing all of this outside in the Nevada desert?

Better man than me, that is for sure. 

But of course it is a "dry heat."  Hahahahahahahaha  I think I just hurt myself.  Oh yeah, Norma Jean didn't answer the PM so much for the fender flares I guess.

BCO

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: