Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 20, 2014, 02:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Get Ready for the Feds  (Read 3983 times)
wagwar

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »

I also looked at the Escapees thread on this and a "Class B Exempt" license was mentioned as an "obvious" requirement. So I have not seen that issue discussed here.

Is that a Texas license requirement if you are domiciling in TX? Is that a generic requirement in any or all states? 

Our bus is titled as a motorhome. I have asked at the DMV what kind of license I am required to have and it is a standard drivers license for automobiles.

So, what is a Class B Exempt license?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »

Texas requires a class B or A for RV's over 26,000 lbs no way around it depends on the weight of the vehicle and what type brakes class B exempt are for over 26,000 lbs non commercial use only fwiw I have those with the air brake endorsement all states should require a air brake endorsement for bus type RV IMO
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:55:27 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »

The annual "Inspect a lot of trucks, shut a bunch down, go home and beat our chests exclaiming why a great thing we have done in the name of safety" blitz starts Tuesday and goes through Thursday. I will not be running, will stay home and get stuff done. May even work on the bus
Tell you about the Feds, I wrote them a letter telling them about a company I was working for that wanted us to go 12 hours (1 more than allowed) then sleep 2 hours (8 less than mandated) and drive the 12 hours back. They did an audit, fined them a paltry amount, then the company got even worse! When I called to tell them that, I was told to send another letter! Screw the Feds!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »

Let them come! After some of the accidents these yahoo drivers are causing I have no qualms with being pulled over and inspected... I know in the end We are protected but it's more of a safety issue then a political one.. If any of us is driving a bum dinger then we shouldn't be on the road as these are massive machines capable of mass loss of life on a freeway! We had 3 pullovers in our An440 only ding was I forgot tout the bulb back in a fixture I had torn off to clean and let  me tell you it was a POS lol. This is a pricey hobby and if you can't honestly have"bail out" credit cards or cash on hand for repairs you ot not be the road.

Flame away...

And yes I'm typically a cheap bastard but I do have some limits LOL Smiley

IMO

Eric
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »

A little different but about the power of federal agencies. A few years ago customs came to one of our rental at 5 oclock in the morning and seized 5 concrete pumps that where made over seas. The thing that was scary was when I approached them to see what was going on at my building they told me it was none of my business and to get out of there. At that point I had no rights. It will make you stop and think when you see the feds first hand.

Wayne
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »

Like all the secret service with the hookers... now that's government in action for ya... Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Cycletek

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »

Frankly Gentleman, You may want to keep your arrogance in check about "the bring it on" statements. I have worked and owned a shop in the aftermarket performance industry for the last 35 years and nearly saw this Multi-billion dollar industry legislated out of existence. I belong to the California BAR and have always abided by their rules and regs and inspections. I do not want some failed shop owner turned government hatchet-man, second guessing me and my decisions because somebody didn't want to pay their bill. If it wasn't for a little band of racers that had formed a little group back in the 80's called SEMA, there would not have been nearly the innovative advances in automotive safety and performance that is prevalent in car of today. Our government seems hellbent on being our parent and they want to surround us in bubble wrap and keep us working to keep them in cash flow. I for one hold the thought of policing ourselves as a more powerful method of keeping our hobby safe and efficient rather than getting the government agencies another opportunity to just kill off our hobby rather than deal with it. I have seen and experienced what havoc the government can cause when justifying their existence.......I do not mean to offend anyone, just an experience I lived for many years and lived through it.......just sharing it brought up some old bad feelings....Good Day!

Tracy Spencer
Santa Clarita, CA.

1976 P8M-4905A #1363 (under conversion)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

I also looked at the Escapees thread on this and a "Class B Exempt" license was mentioned as an "obvious" requirement. So I have not seen that issue discussed here.

Is that a Texas license requirement if you are domiciling in TX? Is that a generic requirement in any or all states?  

Our bus is titled as a motorhome. I have asked at the DMV what kind of license I am required to have and it is a standard drivers license for automobiles.

So, what is a Class B Exempt license?

Not to hijack the thread, but this link will answer your question with much detail about the Class B non commercial license in Texas.  It's my adventure back in 2004, but it still is applicable today.

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/233/6371.html?1087851453

David Anderson
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

SO I WOULD ASSUME...that if you are properly licensed in the state that your coach/MH is registered in, you are legally entitled to operate in all other 49 states ??

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

SO I WOULD ASSUME...that if you are properly licensed in the state that your coach/MH is registered in, you are legally entitled to operate in all other 49 states ??

Yes.  To be clear, driver's license reciprocity applies in all states.

The same is NOT true for the vehicle itself.  You could be legal at home but over length, over width, trailer brakes, etc. in another state and subject to their rules.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 05:31:44 AM »

I'll open another can of worms some of the working full timers are having problems with a few states if they are working in that state  the state you are working in they want you to change over to that state drivers license and plates this was a hot topic at a FMCA convention.

Back in the 60's AR was was bad they made you buy plates and drivers license it was a joke you bought both at a point of entry for 20 bucks then WY made you buy what they called a over plate you kept your home state plate you put the WY plate on top another silly law.  

See why our Canadian and Alaskan friends head home after a few months here lol just joking I know why they need to go back

Life is short drink the good wine first
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »

A little different but about the power of federal agencies. A few years ago customs came to one of our rental at 5 oclock in the morning and seized 5 concrete pumps that where made over seas. The thing that was scary was when I approached them to see what was going on at my building they told me it was none of my business and to get out of there. At that point I had no rights. It will make you stop and think when you see the feds first hand.

Wayne

Thanks to the Patriot Act you have even less freedom or rights now. 

BCO

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 08:10:08 AM »

I'll open another can of worms some of the working full timers are having problems with a few states if they are working in that state  the state you are working in they want you to change over to that state drivers license and plates this was a hot topic at a FMCA convention.

Back in the 60's AR was was bad they made you buy plates and drivers license it was a joke you bought both at a point of entry for 20 bucks then WY made you buy what they called a over plate you kept your home state plate you put the WY plate on top another silly law.  

See why our Canadian and Alaskan friends head home after a few months here lol just joking I know why they need to go back

That has been the case for a long time.  When I first moved to Florida in 1965, the police would patrol company parking lots looking for out of state tags.  If you were working or had a child in school you had to have Florida tags and license.  There was an exception made for migrant farm workers.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »

If you work in CA, you need a CA driver's license and registration.  It was like that even 40years ago.  I would guess that the same applies regarding receiving other benefits in the state.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: