Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 28, 2014, 09:10:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drivers Side Window (91XL)  (Read 2845 times)
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:54:05 AM »

The sliding driver side window on bus has moisture in between glass. Getting tough to see out side mirrors. Bus is under cover except for weekend runs and haven't been in any rain here in Texas. Problem just started this year. Is there a fix other than replacement? Matching that custom paint from Prevost might be a booger.
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:38:14 AM »

These guys are in Florida and can fix it - http://www.suncoastdesigners.com/.  The tall sliding window that most motorhomes have is about $350 from Prevost.  It's glued into the sliding frame.  You would need to take the entire window out of the side of the bus, disassemble the frame (screws hold the frame together in the corners), and take the sliding window out.  You then need to get the window out of the sliding frame without breaking it if you want to have someone fix it - I think they glue it in with Sikaflex at the factory.  I had a tough time getting a broken one out.  You may be able to get lucky by heating it with a heat gun and cutting the glue all around on both sides with a razor knife. Clamp the frame so it doesn't move and be careful, I managed to slice myself good between the knife and the broken glass, even wearing gloves.  Good luck - Steve
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:41:16 AM »

Thanks Steve. I wonder what causes it and if a heat gun held on window would dissipate moisture inside?
Gerry H

1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »

Got the same problem with mine. Mine's fixed, not a slider. I'm planning on replacing window ($265 Prevost) unless something interesting turns up in this thread. Good luck Gerry H

Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:12 AM »

Yeah Gerry i guess they all do that. If I get up Fort Worth way I might let Prevost do it for me
dickegler

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:47:07 PM »

Hi all,

I had the same problem on our 92XL, and this was my solution.  It was the sliding window on the door.  First I open the door, and break the glass.  tempered glass goes everywhere.  Clean up most the glass and with a sharp utility knife begin cutting the adhesive from around the frame.  This stuff is really tuff.  Wear gloves to prevent cuts.  Measured the frame, and went to a local glass company that builds double pane windows.  They had no problem  ordering DOT glass, and built the window for $65. I used black silicone to install the window back in the frame.  Looks original now.

The only thing I would do differently, would be to order the spacer between the panes in black, instead of silver.

Just my way of problem solving.  YMMV

Dick Egler

dick egler  atlanta, in  92 prevost/beaver conversion
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »

Same thing Dick. Must be us cheap Hoosiers Roll Eyes    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
dickegler

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:03:22 PM »

sure enough Bob,  I'm just cheap, not stupid!!!!!!!    Grin

dick egler  atlanta, in  92 prevost/beaver conversion
gmcbuffalo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »

I have had Prevost replace mine once, but the next time and there will be a next, why do we need double pane glass?
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »

I had local auto glass company put single heavy safety glass in mine. $85.  The energy loss; I think er factor, is very little differance for such a small area.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
gmcbuffalo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »

I agree, consider the area of the windshield and the side window is nothing.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »

If you can get the window assembly out without damaging it, remove the double panes from the frame and take to a quality glass shop.  They can split the panes, clean them and install new dessicant strips around the edge. The fogging is from the current dessicant edge leaking.  I did this procedure on the double pane sets in my '47 Silverside.  Yes, GM had double pane sets on all the non sliding windows...clear back then. 

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »

Thanks for the info.

glen s.
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

For those who are looking for a replacement window,on Craigslist (Yuma) there is a Prevost window. Thought I

would pass this along.

Steve 5B....
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 06:10:09 PM »

true insulated glass has 2 panes with an air gape between them and or a gas shot in and the outside like boomer said sealed with a desiccant strip and rubber bead. And who ever said it your right they don't save much heat or cold in a small area like a coach. IMHO

Dave5Cs

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: