Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 07:22:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One-Shot, Spackle that hole - not for everyone ( I know! )  (Read 1501 times)
Hartley

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:16:27 AM »

You wanted to know, well here it is..... It was still holding water today...This stuff is hard as a rock too!

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:35:38 AM »

NOw that's a temporary fix (I hope)

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:20:40 AM »

Got me 180 miles home..without overheating or losing all my coolant.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, It was just a calculated fluke that it worked at all... Roll Eyes

New core going in tomorrow too....

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:28:48 AM »

Very imaginative, great idea to get you home!

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:34:59 AM »

Looks like good s#!t to have in the tool box!

After having my latest addition to my 'fleet' towed home, that patch job is awesome! & with the $$$ saved from not towing it, you'll get a new radiator.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 11:35:28 AM »

Sounds like a good "Road Fix" story for the magazine.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »

Out with the old and In with the new.....

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 01:29:39 PM »

It gives new meaning to getting plastered while driving your bus!

Jim Stewart

JerryH

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 06:02:20 PM »

Dr.Dave:

No fair ... you used a cart/lift.
I pulled one rad in our 8 in and out (I think) 3 times.  Got a free one to replace a leaker ... it leaked worse than the first one.
Replaced it with another 'free' rad ... it leaked ... not as bad as #2, but still leaked.
What's that -- 3rd times a charm?

Borrowed one from MC-8 #1 and put it in #2.  Should have just done that from the get go.  Dang ... I had no cart, just lift the darn thing and get her in there!

Gotta put a scissor lift cart on Santa's list Smiley

Jerry H.

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »

I do not think I would ever put in a used radiator without having it at least flow and pressure tested by a radiator shop.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 04:25:23 AM »

Dr.Dave:

No fair ... you used a cart/lift.
I pulled one rad in our 8 in and out (I think) 3 times.  Got a free one to replace a leaker ... it leaked worse than the first one.
Replaced it with another 'free' rad ... it leaked ... not as bad as #2, but still leaked.
What's that -- 3rd times a charm?

Borrowed one from MC-8 #1 and put it in #2.  Should have just done that from the get go.  Dang ... I had no cart, just lift the darn thing and get her in there!

Gotta put a scissor lift cart on Santa's list Smiley

Jerry H.

That lift cart is the best money that I have spent at Harbor Freight. It handles up to 1000 lbs, I have used it as a rolling table,
man-hoist ( stand on it for a little extra tallness (wife jacks it up so I can reach into the blower bay)), Lifts 8 golf cart batteries
up level to bay floor. and makes a nice work table for just about anything heavy.

The handle folds down and the whole thing will fit in a bay too, Extra nice for jockying generators into bay locations too.

On the Radiator thing, I had several offered to me (used) but 3 of them failed pressure tests before I started. So I ordered new
cores from National Chicago Radiator for $394 each. Much easier than the trial and error approach. My mistake was that I didn't
change both at the same exact time. I waited and then had to rush to change the right side when it failed 2 weeks later
on the road.

A used radiator may get you home, But new ones are the only sure cure. I don't know which is worse, The aggravation to change them or the expense of $12 a gallon antifreeze " Shell Rotella ELC " going on the ground ( red stuff ). It's all such a painfully expensive lesson.

DrDave... ( The Grand Adventure Continues ! ) Shocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: