Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Run the Rack". 8V71 Tuneup  (Read 3610 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »

WOOOW!!!!!!!! I was told by a guy that my injectors could probably stand to be tuned- "run the rack". I could only find one place around here that knew anything about it and it was in Cincinnati. He said it would run about 700.oo plus parts!  OOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo man, that seems a bit "salty"! But what do I know?!?!?!?!?!?! (very dang little!)
 So tell me, does that seem right??? What's your opinions! I want to get the ol' girl running right if I'm going to try to make Jack's Rally. Wink Wink
  Thanx guys,
     Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »

I've not seen it done, but I have (ole DD mechanic) friends that I trust tell me it is a real tedious job to get everything just right. One said that that is is an art form to set one. $700 does seem a little high tho. Ask Luke @ us coach. I'll bet he can give you a better understanding of what is involved & how to tell if it is needed.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 10:58:03 AM »

Ok, now, I have heard about this Luke several times and I have yet to figure out how to reach him. Can ya hook me up??
  Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »

Chaz,Heree is Luke's #  -Luke at US coach  856-767-4848,great people and good to work with,they are located in Berlin NJ  MIke
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 12:45:27 PM »

I'm sorry, Chaz...your profile is full of all sorts of interesting info except for your bus.  Running a rack(s) isn't that difficult depending on the engine and the installation.  Without knowing that it's difficult to make a determination.  You know what your bus and engine combination is...but I sure don't so I can't help.  If you've got Jakes..its a bit more difficult in that you need a couple of special feeler guages.

How about next time you give us a bit more information so we're in a position to help you better?

cordially,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »

Thanx Bob. Bad thing about giving you more info is that I am learning as I go. I know very little.  What I can tell you is that it's a 4108 with a 8V71 and an automatic. No jake.
Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell ya. I'm not sure what you mean by "installation".

I didn't know that there was allot more info needed than just that it was an 8V71. Sorry.

Thanx for the help,
    Chaz

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:31:03 PM »

Chaz -

Take a pic of your bus, and replace your avatar pic with your bus's, that will help.

Luke also has a toll-free number: 1-888-262-2434.  Here's the rest:

U S Coach Repair Inc.
127 Cross Keys Rd
Berlin, NJ 08009

Do you have any charter bus outfits near you?  Or transit agencies?  If so, call their maintenance department and ask to talk to the shop foreman.  When you get him on the line, explain that you need help finding a really good Detroit two-stroke technician who can run a rack for you.  Ask him for referrals.

Close to water? An additional source might be marine-related.  Lots of Detroits still plugging away in tugs, fishin' boats, etc.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink 

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:11:54 PM »

Chaz- Running the rack is just an expression for adjusting the valves and injectors.  If all of your injectors are firing alright, no smoke or missing, basically the mechanic will check the injector height (for proper timing) then adjust the rocker clearance to the injector (it is actuated from the camshaft, just like the valves are).  Running the rack is adjusting the governor control connecting rods to the injectors so they all operate at the same time-mainly are all open at the same time.  Sometimes, it sounds like the engine is running rough at idle, but it should never be adjusted for a smooth idle.  Lastly, is adjusting the valves for proper clearance.  Especially with your setup where the engine is layed over for easy access, this should take about 4 hours-not the $700.00.  Even here in L.A., with $105.00/hr labor, that would be about $420.00.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dreamscape

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 06:52:34 AM »

I agree with finding an old DD mechanic to do it for you.

I thought that I could do it myself but was informed by someone on another board that it is best left to experienced hands. If you screw something up it might cost you bigtime. Better off paying a little now than a lot later.

Good Luck,

Paul
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 07:01:41 AM »

Russ,
  I am about an hour to any city. (Indy or Cincy)

Tom,
  Thanx for the insight! I did call a place and they want me to drive it in and let them hear it. I guess that will be my first step.
  I know tons of people and have lots of friends but it looks as tho I don't have any connections in the DD world.  Undecided So I guess I may have to go to an actual company to get this done. He said it would take 8 hours at 90 bucks an hour. (ouch) But ya know, if that is what it is to have my bus running right, that is what it will have to be. I love this bus and all it has to offer so I guess ya just gotta grin and bear it. I've wanted one for over 20 years (had small ones) so I am just going to do what I have to do.
  But, I would just like to say - yet again - Thank you to all those that have helped this newbie with all my questions. I too, love and thrive on helping others and it is greaat to see that there are others out there who also care.

Much appreciation,
        Chaz

Busnut83

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 06:52:03 PM »

I spent $1800. this summer,,,at williams,,,, 6v92ta... I replaced all six injectors?Huh
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 07:56:07 PM »

Chaz -

A quick search, using "AnyWho" online yellow pages, comes up with 36 charter bus outfits in Indy, and 44 in Cincy.  Didn't even search for the local transit outfits in each town.

Again, might be well worth the time spent on the phone to call the maintenance dept, and you'll save diesel, too!

Oh, and here's something that EVERY busnut should have in their on-board library:

http://www.busride.com/Directory.cfm

Well worth the $25!!!!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 08:20:21 AM »

Thanx Russ,
  I didn't even know about that "Anywho" thing. I'm not overly computer literate. I'll check'em out.
  In your opinion, do you think that is the best bus Magazine? Just curious. I just subscribed to Bus Conversions (I think it is)

Thanx again,
    Chaz

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 08:40:33 AM »

Are there other Mags?

The MAK mag will be the Highlight of your month anyway, it's worth it no matter if there are other mags.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 09:25:37 AM »

Are there other Mags?

The MAK mag will be the Highlight of your month anyway, it's worth it no matter if there are other mags.
Grin Grin Grin

I can't wait till I get mine!! I figure I can answer allot of my own questions form mags like that.

Chaz

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: