Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:13:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update - GM PD4106 #1616 Rescue  (Read 5066 times)
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2012, 06:04:45 AM »

Folks -

Not that everyone was waiting with baited breath, but here is an update on this still-seated coach in southern CT.  This Saturday, Most Excellent BusNut onelapper, armed with his 4106 knowledge, some tools, and a couple of 8Ds, will be headed to Ansonia to meet the owner, gather recon, and attempt to get it started and up/out of its current spot in the owner's back yard.

Also, I've been in touch with The Connecticut Trolley Museum (http://www.ct-trolley.org/visit/busmuseum.php), they are very interested in adding it to their fledgling collection, so the intention is to work out that part based on what the weekend's mission uncovers.

I'll ask the brothers to pray for Mark's safety this weekend, and that we can get this deal worked out this summer and get this vehicle into the hands of folks that will enjoy and preserve it.

Take care,
Brad

Busnut wannabe.
christopher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »

is the bus for sale?
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »

Brad/Mark,

Thats some awesome work.  The Turtles are praying for you.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
fortyniner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »

Thats great. Post pics when you can. Its really great to see one preserved in original condition. Getting very rare to find that these days and worth a premium in my book,

-Tom P.

Tom Phillips
PD4106-453
PD4106-2864
87 Alfa Milano
93 Range Rover
87 190e-16 Mercedes
92 Jeep Comanche
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »

Bus Nuts,

Today my daughter and I ventured out to do some recon on PD4106-1616!  This bus is currently not running.  The owner seemed a little confused on why it's not running, but when he showed me to a box deep in his garage, it didn't take me (or my 8 year old) long to determine that the without the STARTER installed, the thing wasn't going to run.

I was prepared to get this completely original 4106 up and running today..... but the owner never mentioned that it wasn't in running condition.  He only said it hadn't run in a couple or 3 years.

Unfortunately, the owner isn't sure what he wants to do with this bus........

Here are the pictures....

Mark
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:23:25 PM by OneLapper » Logged

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »

I would sure like to have the valve covers

Life is short drink the good wine first
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

Brad -

FYI, PD4104-1616 was delivered new in January of 1963 as fleet number 320 to Hudson Transit Corp, HQ'd in Mahwah, NJ.

That explains the plexiglas barrier on the railing behind the driver's seat - a common transit application, rare in highway coaches back in those days.

Thanks, Mark, for pics of the original overhead luggage racks.  Brings back memories of crawling up into them to take a nap while on a charter w/ a bunch of layover time. . . Never could do that in an MCI, Eagle or Prevost!

Hope the owner decides to donate the coach to the museum. . . hate to see it go to the scrapper (w/o scavenging parts off it first!)

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »

I would sure like to have the valve covers

Cliff,

What do you see special about these valves covers?  Just curious

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:35:33 AM »

Guys -

Thanks for the comments (and thanks again to Mark for the travel and work).  I will do my best to get the owner wrestled to the ground on a decision - whether he donates or sells to CT museum, we'll do our best to make sure it doesn't wind up as raw material for Alcoa.  As Mark notes, he is sometimes a confused man.  Bus does need some work to get back running again, as Mark notes - but appears worth it with everything else it has going for it.

RJ - great info on the plexiglas; yup, I'd delivery info on busrosters; I've tried to reach out to ShortLine/Hudson Transit for more info/original paint job, no one answers calls/e-mails.  Mark seems to think it was in Kelley's fleet at one time, I might call them and see if they can verify that.  It would be nice to get a good direction on exterior restoration for whoever gets it.  Mark reports (and photos show) aside from a good cleaning, some sanding/repaint here/there, and one seat that a squirrel had for lunch, the interior is in very good shape.

Sean - Thanks, theeffective prayer of a turtle availeth much.  Also, if Angie can drive this bus, she'll be unstoppable.

I will update the CT museum guys this week, hopefully their interest remains high with Mark's info and it winds up there.  Also tried to contact NJ Tranportation Heritage folks (they're splicing together an old PS/NJT 4106, project seems on-hold, might need parts (or maybe a better bus to start with) - no response,  I don't know if anyone on the board has connections there.  The Bus Museum in Hershey has a their ultra-spiffy 4106 - although I think the flood damage is still being worked on.

Take care,
Brad

Busnut wannabe.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 07:38:07 AM »

OK good find hope the old 4106 is saved. Grin
Talked to a bus historian in the Orlando,Florida area just now and he use to drive for Hudson Transit/Shortline back when these 4106's were in service with them.
He is going through his records and photos to see if he has a photo of this same PD4106.
So we will have to wait and see what he comes up with.
jlv
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »

I thought the hounds were the only ones with the mirror above the window ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:43:48 AM »

Greyhound's very early 4104's had the high low mount mirrors some were changed to both low mount.
As for the Greyhound later PD-4104's and PD-4501 Scenicruisers, PD-4106 came with both mirrors down low.
I think that the high-low mount mirrors were a real pain to use.
My PD4104 had the high low mirrors and I changed the left mirror to a low mount and it made driving a lot nicer.
jlv
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »

OK,More information on the old PD-4106. This coach was use in pool service with Safeway Trailways into upstate New York (Buffalo).
After seeing service with Hudson Transit it went to Brown Limousine Company location unknown.
The old retired driver that had the history on this coach said that the old bus had a lot of miles on it when it left Hudson Transit.
 service.
jlv
bkelly1011
Brad Kelly

Nope, not my bus.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 06:51:49 AM »

Thanks for helping track that history down JLV; Brown's a missing link - or at least one of them!  The owner told Mark he'd purchased it from a company in NJ, that could have been the one.

FW'd Mark's photos to the CT museum PoC yesterday.  Will e-mail owner with request to go forward with tow/donation process today, we'll see where that goes.

BTW, Mark also FW'd me a message from Al, a lurker newbie (not yet fully registered - Hi, Al!), not sure if this was widely known.

>  In this month’s edition of the “National Bus Trader” on page 37, there is an ad that states ”Greyhound Bus Museum is looking for the donation of a PD4104 or PD4106 bus to build a Freedom Rider Display” Coach can be converted or seated, operational or non-operational.  Contact Gene Nicolelli (218) 263-5814.

That museum is in Hibbings, MN.  Might be useful to others whose coaches are at that point.

Thanks,
Brad

Busnut wannabe.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »

In this month’s edition of the “National Bus Trader” on page 37, there is an ad that states ”Greyhound Bus Museum is looking for the donation of a PD4104 or PD4106 bus to build a Freedom Rider Display” Coach can be converted or seated, operational or non-operational.

The above add does not tell the rest of the story They the Museum is going to get the local fire department to burn the donated coach for a display about the freedom rider Greyhound PD4104 that was burnt in Annison Alabama 5-11-1961.
Why they want a 4106 I will never know. Folks there is a difference between a 4104 and a 4106! Huh
jlv
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: