Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 03:48:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof sealer.  (Read 3514 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »

Ok, next question:
  I want to seal the roof and I understand there is some pretty neat stuff out there to do it with. Some of them - although not really thick - have a great insulation value. I was looking for one that has that as well as a silver color. (it will match the rest of my paint scheme best)
  Any suggestions on "what" and where to get it??
  Thanx again!
     Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Dreamscape

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:46:14 PM »

There is a product called Alum-a-kote, primarily used for mobile homes though. I don't know anything about the product.
I used Kool-Seal from Home Depot, it is white, works very well.

Paul
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 02:03:02 PM »

Chaz, check out pickup bed spray on/roll on liner. It comes in colors so you can add graphics visable from the air as well as a non-skid surface. I haven't used it myself (really thinking HARD about it) but have been on the roof of a couple S&S units that had something close and was impressed. HTH
Dale MC8

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 04:18:15 PM »

I have a neighbor who used to do entertainer conversions. He said he always painted the top of the coach after the break white for heat rejection. When I started to pull reefers, the tops were all silver. They soon turned black from diesel smoke. We started painting the tops white and were amazed at how much easier it was to keep the cargo at temperature. If you paint it after the roof breaks, the white cannot be seen from the side. Of course, airplanes will see the white roof. You could still do the bed liner thing, just make it white.

Have fun!

PS: Sorry I mis-spelled "reefers". One of these days I'll learn to proof-read.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:23:10 AM by oldmansax » Logged

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 07:45:54 PM »

Oldman is 100% correct.

Never could understand why anyone would paint a roof silver. It is a very hot color and turns even darker after it ages a while.

White is so much cooler it is no contest. Just place your hand on the top surface of a silver car and then on a white car in a parking lot in bright sunshine sometime. Be careful though, the silver may cause you some pain from the heat.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
belfert

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 08:28:44 PM »

I suspect the reason people paint the roofs some color other than white is because they think the non-matching color will be noticeable from ground level.  My bus has gold/green on the sides and the roof is white and it is very hard to tell the roof is a different color from the ground.

Brian Elfert
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:48:57 PM »

Chaz -

First question:  Why do you think you need to seal the roof?  Didn't GMC do a good enough job?

Second question:  Do you want the roof to absorb  heat, or reflect  it?

Just helping with your homework!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 07:29:27 AM »

Russ,
  I was wanting silver to not only match my color scheme that I have in mind to paint it, but I was under the impression that it would also reflect. I have seen plenty of other situations where they use silver to reflect. Probably more silver is used to reflect than white!! Even the mobile home stuff is silver.
  I also seen at the Hot Rod Nationals in Louisville that someone had a silver coating that they even put on a hot plate and showed its insulating value. I would have contacted them, but I did not have my bus or know I would be needing something like that. I thought someone from here might be able to steer me in the right direction.
 And yes, my roof has a leak(s). I am going to hit all the seams with seam sealer after I wire brush them with a 4 1/2" right angle grinder. Then I want to recoat the whole thing with something that will do the BEST job.
  I hope I am not aggrevating you with my questions. I am very skilled at doing many things -especially automotive- but I am also one who is willing to ask questions and learn from people who have "been there, done that". In the hot rods I build, I put the insulation on the inside and paint the outside as anyone would a car/truck. But this is different so I was looking for people with experience to lend a hand.
  I hope that all came out with all due respect. I mean no disrespect. But I can see how all of my questions may wear on someone and they think I have little or no skills in this area. I am just lacking the knowledge that you all have from being in this cool hobby for so long. I am learning and appreciating it. I hope to be able to contribute some knowledge in the future. By the way, I carry tools in my vehicles mainly to help others.

Have a great one!!
    Chaz

p.s. The way I want to do it, you will see the top color from the ground. I dunno, maybe that is wrong. (?)

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 07:47:45 AM »

With all due respect to your very talented self.  the topic of roof color/ sealer / insulator is a regular one on these boards.  Much experience has been gained and shared, and the strong consensus is that white is the best roof top color, even though it may seem that silver might reflect more.  Try it yourself and see.

As an aside, I am very impressed with the work you have done, you are obviously very sharp and have a lot of creative talent.  I, like others,  can't wait to see what you do with your bus!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 08:49:52 AM »

Thanx Jim,
 I hope I don't disappoint ya!!  Wink Wink Wink  But after what I have been finding out about what it costs to do the stuff I want to do, I am going to be doing the mechanical and essentials first! (as would make sense Wink) But I am "chomping at the bit" to start "tricking it out".  Grin  Especially since I found the wall covering I want to use.
 I just got done talking with Bill Glenn and he was a TON of help!!!!!! I hope I don't wear him out, Wink but we seem to be on the same wave length.  Smiley
  I may go with the white as it seems to be what the general consensous is. But I will be looking for that stuff I seen at the "Nats." to find out what it is and how it works. I'll let you all know when I do. At least I will be giving something back! Undecided
  Take care,
    Chaz

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 07:40:25 PM »

Chaz -

Nah, I don't mind all the questions at all - how else are you going to learn?

And I wasn't trying to be a smarta** by asking you questions back, I was just trying to help you think thru your motivation, and to then share your reasons with us, so that we can give you more intelligent answers!

If you haven't already, a search of the archives not only here, but over on the BNO BBS will bring up a lot of "cuss & discuss" about roof sealants.  (www.busnut.com)

Mechanicals are a good thing to have in "tip-top" shape first, before the "tricking out" begins!  A failure at Oh Dark Thirty ten miles outside Cantua Creek is not fun!   Angry

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 07:58:34 PM by Russ » Logged

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 08:27:07 PM »

Once again, silver PAINT does not reflect heat, it absorbs heat. Silver (Real silver) as in a mirror does reflect heat.

White, even dull white, is the best heat reflective color for any purpose.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dallas

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 03:56:28 AM »

Chaz,
Just for fun,
Try taking a piece of bare aluminum and allow it to sit in the sun fo a bit. Next, take that same piece of Aluminum and paint it with silver seal and let it sit in the sun for the same amount of time.. After that paint it with plain ol' white paint, letting it also sit for the specified period.

Now, before and after every test, take a thermometer or infrared temperature gun and check the under side of the aluminum. You will be thoroughly surprised at the results of your nonscientific tests.

We had a 20° temperature drop inside our bus, before we changed the insulation, just by painting the roof with white paint.

Also, consider, most silver paint isn't silver, but actually gray.

IHTH
Dallas
Dreamscape

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 05:46:28 AM »

I agree with WHITE. All of the school buses here in So Cal have white roofs. Seems like the homework is already done.
Like I said, after painting mine it made a big dfferance on the inside temp. Any other color absorbes heat, white reflects it.

Just my two cents,

Paul
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 08:14:14 AM »

Looks like white is ahead in the election by all of the polls.  Wink  (the election is starting to fry my brain!)  Undecided
 I still want to find out what that stuff was I seen at the Nats. and talk with those people first. It was some VERY impressive stuff.
  I was talking with a fellow busnut Paul and his wife from Cincy who stopped by to see my baby and he was thinking it may be something he heard of with ceramic in it. That may be the case. But just as he thought, it would be WAAAAAAAAAAAY expensive.
 I use ceramic wool in my forge and the insulation value is incredible. 2600 degrees in the forge and I can put my finger on the other side of the wool that is 1 1/2" thick.
  Anyway, thanx for all the info! It looks like white may be the answer.

Chaz

superiormotors

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 08:51:11 AM »

I think the stuff you are looking for is called Lizard Skin , its a spray on coating. there are 2 different types.i
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »

THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!
  Thanx Superior! I looked up the site: www.lizardskin.com and that is what I seen. It looks a little bit salty as far as price, but it sounds like some good stuff! I may try it.

Chaz

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 09:47:11 AM »

There is a material that resembles suede that is used in all the high line luxury yachts. I can not remember the name off hand but perhaps some of the yachting crowd can help. It is expensive but is the best looking headliner I have ever seen.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »

Ultra Suede Riviera is made for headliners and interior trim finishing for yachts.  It may also be  known as Alcantara®, although the link specified automotive.

Gulf Fabrics
813-875-2707 (tel)
813-348-9540 (fax)
AlcantaraGulfFab@aol.com
www.gulffabrics.com

Roadwire
2930 Vail Avenue
Commerce, CA 90040
1-877-ROADWIRE (toll free)
info@roadwire.com
www.roadwire.com

Star Motoring Inc.
241 S. Van Brunt St
Englewood, NJ 07631-4009
201-567-4050 (tel)
201-567-1229 (fax)
www.starmotoring.com

Thanks, Jim. Richard
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 06:47:27 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 07:32:02 PM »

Also check this out, http://www.hytechsales.com/roofcoatings.html  I have their ceramic mixed in to my roof clearcoat

As far as colors,  White essentially takes Radiant Heat Transfer out of the equation.  That includes absorbing and giving off heat.  A dark color not only absorbs heat but gives out heat to the surroundings also.  So if your bus was black, it would not only be harder to cool in the summer days but harder to heat in the winter nights.  And yes, easier to cool at on summer night and easier to heat in the sun on winter day.

HTH

I fixed your link for you! --Dallas
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 03:44:27 AM by Dallas » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 07:12:44 AM »

Thanx Newbee MC9!!!!
  That stuff sounds pretty good and isn't quite so salty!! I went to the site you gave and it sounds like a good product. But then.............. you know!  Wink  I suppose you have been having good luck with yours???

By the way, you fixed my link?Huh I appreciate that, but am unsure what you mean. But ... Thanx!

Chaz

Dallas

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 08:05:51 AM »

Thanx Newbee MC9!!!!
  That stuff sounds pretty good and isn't quite so salty!! I went to the site you gave and it sounds like a good product. But then.............. you know!  Wink  I suppose you have been having good luck with yours???

By the way, you fixed my link?Huh I appreciate that, but am unsure what you mean. But ... Thanx!

Chaz

Chaz, I was speaking to NBMC9.
His link was corrupt so I fixed it.

Dallas
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 08:44:07 PM »

Thanks for looking out for me Dallas!

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink