Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 12:47:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: f/up re toad car and Prevost  (Read 3649 times)
MtLaw

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for all of your valuable input.
In follow up to my last post, we have decided to install a pump on my wife's 01 Infiniti and use it as a toad car.
I am tentatively planning not to use any type of supplemental braking system.  A number of people have suggested it is unnecessary with such a rig - '85 prevost DetriotD 8v92 / Allison 5 speed trans / jake brakes etc.

Any thoughts or input.
I am concerned about safety more than technical legality.
Thanks
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »

I'll be watching as well.  I've got an '89 Prevost, same drivetrain.  I've got a ten-year-old 200k VW Jetta sitting out back that I'll probably eventually use as a tow-along.  Gotta finish the rebuild first, but I find myself thinking about base plates and tow bars now and then.  I'll learn from your inquiry as well!

Cheers, John
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:25 PM »

Hi MtLaw,
The extra braking system is needed for three seasons.
* the system cuts down on your stopping distance.
*Many states as well as Canada require the system
* if you're in a traffic crash and there are injuries you will be charged and someone else will own the bus and a lots of your other assets.

Frank
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »

Notwithstanding what Frank just said:
- there's lots of tow combos out there with no supplemental braking on the towed vehicle.
- there may be a theoretical difference in stopping distance but it will be overwhelmed by your reaction time and the general condition of the bus braking system
- the only way there will be any liability is if somebody can prove that lack of supplemental braking somehow caused or exacerbated the accident

We used a brake controller for a couple of years and eventually sold it.  It was a major PITA to set up every time we hooked up and I'm not convinced it was enhancing anybody's safety.

Make sure you have really good safety chains/cables and hooks that are adequate for the weight being towed.  That is way more likely to save your @$# in the event of a disaster IMHO.  And maintain your bus brake system religiously including keeping records of the maintenance.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

I would like not to use a toad brake system since it is just something extra to take care of, but I remember seeing a list of states the require them.  Here in Ca, anything your towing over something like 3000 lbs requires aux braking.  I bought my Jeep Cherokee thinking its curb weight of 2900 lbs got me in under the wire, but was told by CHP that they go by the max vehicle weight rating.  He said that there really were only a couple of cars that had that under 3000 lbs.

Here's a link with some info.  Aside from the aux brake, some place more emphasis on having a breakaway system.
http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

You don't have to believe everything you think.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »

Hi MtLaw,
* if you're in a traffic crash and there are injuries you will be charged and someone else will own the bus and a lots of your other assets.

Frank

Frank is right, the braking system is required nationwide and the fine if caught without one, is as I remember $500.  If you are involved in an accident and it becomes known that you did not have the device, then you are also liable and in short ... with a good lawyer, they will own you.  This is one reason I put the toad on a trailer, no supplemental brake device, no tow-bar and no hassles.

It should be okay as long as you do not get caught or no one shuts down suddenly in front of you.  Go ahead, take the risk, all you have to lose is everything that you own.

BCO

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »

BCO, I'm going to assume the trailer you're putting your toad on has it's own auxiliary braking system, ie=electric brakes.\

MtLaw,

Now if Frank will just tell us which season the braking system isn't needed, we can all plan our trips accordingly..... Grin

boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:44:33 PM »

BCO, I'm going to assume the trailer you're putting your toad on has it's own auxiliary braking system, ie=electric brakes.

Yeppers, BOTH of my trailers have electric brakes.  

You are an idiot if you think running around without extra braking on a bus/car setup.  Eagles are not known for their stellar performance in the air brake department, I can not testify on other brands.  We are glad to have them.

That is just my take on it.

BCO
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:49:48 PM by boxcarOkie » Logged

BUR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »

I use the SMI Air Force One, very good system with proportionate braking. To hookup you connect a 1/4" air line and break-a-way cable and that's it. Wouldn't be without it for many reasons.    Good Busn' Wilbur

1980 Prevost   8V71TA  6 speed stick
Homebase   Kelso, Washington
Coming to a city near you      "Fulltiming"
Winter months   Yuma AZ
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »

I watched Craigslist and got a Brake Buddy pretty cheap.  I set it at the least sensitive setting since I do not really want it to do anything unless it's on emergency braking.  My main concern is that it's there so I am legal.

Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »

I am also considering some other advantages to trailering, as opposed to 4-down towing.

--You can put any small vehicle on the trailer. You are not tied to one toad.
--Have you ever tried backing up with a 4-down toad? I have. Not nice at all.
--No modification necessary to the toad.
--No added speedometer miles, nor wear and tear to the toad.
--Electrical brakes.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 02:26:57 PM »

I found having the trailer a pain to back up, park and then store when parked. I now tow 4 down with a Craig's Brake Buddy. works for me, if I get in a tight spot my wife bails, flips the tow bar up, pushes the brake buddy away and goes. I tow a car with a flat front floor so I don't have the tunnel between the seats. The buddy just slides out of the way. My old trailer was a big steel thing and a lot of trouble to move around, my new one is aluminum and will probably work better for towing but I'm set up for 4 down so unless I'm towing a vintage I won't use it behind the bus.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »

This works well for me....cept I don't toad anymore, but when I did it was A-ok, now it's in a box.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:03:29 PM »

We have had to back out of mistakes a couple of times with a 4-down toad.  My wife has just gotten into the car and kept it straight.  It is a bit awkward, but does work.  We even managed a 180 degree turn around a few times.  I am sure that with a little practice one could get pretty good at it.  Even if you had to unhook and reattach the toad, it would be less work in total than a trailer.

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 07:19:34 AM »

Where do you trailer guys store your trailer at an Rv park?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: