Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 01:11:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Window Size  (Read 1402 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:11 AM »

A lot of people recommend as large as possible.  I put six 36"x48" windows in my front living/kitchen area and the view is great, but the issue is heat loading.  We have to cover all the windows when it it hot out to keep the temps even remotely reasonable.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 03:35:18 PM »

Thanks Dennis!

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »

A lot of people recommend as large as possible.  I put six 36"x48" windows in my front living/kitchen area and the view is great, but the issue is heat loading.  We have to cover all the windows when it it hot out to keep the temps even remotely reasonable.

Correction: I have four windows up front, not six.  Regardless, the heat loading issue remains.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »

Thanks Belfert. You guys are givng me lots to think about!

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »

My bus had windows that were about 66 X 30", except for the upper front and rear corners which were about 10" shorter with a slightly slanted side edge (right along the corner). 

All the windows you can see in this photo are Peninsula except for the central upstairs one (the one that's a little lighter in color in the photo -- that's the one in the stairwell - it doesn't open).  One of my issues was that the stock windows had 4" radius corners and the only Peninsula corners were 3".  To make them fit, I had to trim out a crescent in the sheet aluminum to make the new windows fit.  I measured to a pretty tight size for the upper and side straight edges and the final parts were very accurate to the size.

As I got in the middle of the project, I realized that as long as i was trimming the corners, I could have as easily ordered the corners square -- that might have given me a more modern look and might have been easier to fit.  So, don't forget to "think out of the box" as you're considering your options.

I've found that if I crack the windows downstairs on the side that the breeze if blowing from and open windows upstairs on the downwind side (all the Peninsula windows have screens), I get a cool breeze up the stairs and the air in the bus changes quickly.  In the past few weeks, I've been parked in the sun with temps close to 90 and NC humidity and the bus has been reasonably cool inside.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: