Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 10:44:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clipper Air brake Question  (Read 691 times)
tom120

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »

our 47 Flxible brakes seem to fade just before the bus comes to a full stop. pedal doesnt drop and there is no air pressure issue. brakes come on hard but the final roll seems long. we are going to have a shop look at them. linings are excellent.  any ideas on the issue? bus has sat for 7 years. thanks tommr86@msn.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 02:32:29 PM »

Without knowing your level of experience with air brakes I would not recommend driving that bus anywhere until the brakes are checked out.  Wasn't it a Flexible of some sort a number of years back that had poorly adjusted brakes and ended up with front end damage from not being able to stop?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:47:07 PM »

Go to the Flx site some great info on the Flx brakes and some great people there, very few here can answer a brake question on a 65 year old Flx I know I can't lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »

Sounds to me that the brakes are out of adjustment.  This is classic-when the brakes are cool, they work well-but when they suddenly warm up while braking, the heat expands the brake drum away from the linings.  Adjust the brakes to 1/3 turn out, or 1 inch of rod travel.  If that doesn't work, then your S cam bushings are probably worn, or you need new linings.  I agree-figure it out before going anywhere else.  Need brakes ALWAYS at 100% Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »

i thought a 47 yom would have wedge cam instead of s cam...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »

He could have air over hydraulic on his Clipper all were not air brakes some were even straight hydraulic brakes 

No telling what he has so I am not guessing lol I will leave it to the FLX guys they do wonders with the FLX keeping that old bus road worthy 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
tom120

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »

thanks for the responses.  transmission is going back in tomorrow. got flywheel repaired and resurfaced and rebuilt the clutch disc and pressure plate. we are going to check those adjustments before we go on the road test. there are no air pressure losses or issues with the bus. this has S cams and they are all fine. bus has 95k original miles. thanks
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31:11 AM »

Over time, brake linings change/decay/absorb/harden/soften, whichever words you want to use to describe they simply don't grip or make friction like they should.

With everything mechanical accounted for, fresh linings can sometimes have dramatic effects.

Also, many old buses simply stop poorly by modern standards, due to the smaller brake parts used in those days.

Add the smaller design and decay together....

WHOA bus bus bus!!!!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: