Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 09:25:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus is bust....  (Read 2507 times)
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 01:20:46 AM »

i think it depends upon the type of materials that were burned.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »

Depends on the type of materials the smoke is absorbed into. Discard anything that is less effort to replace than to clean, or is beyond saving. Launder what can be laundered...especially things like curtains, furniture throws, bedspreads, throw rugs, etc. Clean every surface that can be cleaned, including windows, ceilings, inside cabinets, even if they look clean to the eye. Your choice of cleaners or ammonia on tough materials, vinegar where you need something mild. Shampoo carpets and fabric furniture if possible, or sprinkle baking soda over them and vacuum it up the next day and repeat as required. Setting out small bowls of vinegar near problem items/areas will also help pull odors out of things.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 08:07:06 AM »

There are companies that specialize in smoke odor removal, but that might be beyond your budget.  I believe some rental places rent ozone generators to remove odors.

I had a welding fire that burned up my air ride seat and seat belt about four years ago.  Luckily I had no smoke odor issues and we barely got the fire out before it burned up the whole bus.  It still cost me $750 to replace all the burned up items.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
fortyniner

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »

I had a house fire a few years ago. They brought in some ozone generators to combat the smoke smell while we stayed in a hotel. Helped a lot. The key was removing the burned material ASAP to prevent it from stinking up the place further. Spraying a clear lacquer on the burned material might help hold down the smell until you can replace it.

Tom P.

Tom Phillips
PD4106-453
PD4106-2864
87 Alfa Milano
93 Range Rover
87 190e-16 Mercedes
92 Jeep Comanche
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 08:35:20 AM »

*update*

The wife found a amtram genesis the successor to our bus at a local yard.. She bought the whole drivers area seat and electrical panel with 6ft of the main harness for $200.... Hi ho hi ho it's back to work I go .. ..... So how do I get rid of the burn smell?

Have fun !

Eric

So you are ready to saver her?  Hey, that's great news!  Keep your windows open as much as you can stand to keep fresh air circulating.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »

ditto that ^  Definitely look at an Ozonator. Shock the bus with it closed up for 5 hours. Don't go in there until after you unplug it and it has set for an hour (use an extension cord to the outside of the bus) or rent one that has a timer. Open bus up after the unit has shut off and let it vent for an hour before going back in. Amazing stuff...police use them to clean up crime scenes, hotels use them when someone smokes in a room that was non-smoking...amazing little machines...just don't be in there when it's running and get one that can truly "SHOCK" the bus..not one of those dinky alpine units that are supposed to run while you are in the room...they don't produce enough ozone the shock...and honestly, they are dangerous to use while in the same room...

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »

No personal experience but I understand that you can rent an ozone generator that will eliminate smoke odors.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »

Well I'm working on it today and YUCK! I'll look into the ozone deal, thanks guys!

Have fun !

Eric
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »

You're already on the ozone thing so I'll just echo the chorus there.  We had a trailer burn several years ago.  Unfortunately we got the fire out about 5 minutes before it would have been a write off so we eventually got it back.  And I've been through a couple of building fires.  All the "pros" (and I use that word loosely) do is seal over the burned areas, treat the enclosure with ozone, repaint or refinish and give it back to you.  Depending on their care and attention you may smell more or less smoke for years to come.  And for sure if you open up a sealed off space you will smell smoke years after the event.  The only watch out I can think of is that you'll very quickly get used to the smell so you will need to have some honest friends who can tell you if it is really gone or not.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

Well it's isolated to the front area as the only room done is our bedroom the rest is just steel tent lol we had put vinyl on the dash and it kinda "cooked so when I turned on the vent the smell was terrible... I'm going to pull all the heater cores out of the dash (3!) and spray em with a/c no smell...

Have fun !

Eric
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »

Eric,

I love your can do attitude with this bus.  Amazing with all the challenges that you still keep at it.

Praying for you that all goes well.   Keep us updated.   Would love to see her someday.

-Sean

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 08:31:44 AM »

I'm with Sean on this one ^  Love your attitude...SO SO wish we were there...we'd help!! We'll be in Ohio starting August 25th...so maybe we can get together sometime late summer into fall....

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: