Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 09:47:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: television antennas  (Read 1545 times)
jdr

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2006, 12:23:50 AM »

Is anyone using a good roof mounted tv antenna that isn't to obtrusive. Trying not to make my 9 roof look like a porcupine. I am also in need of a MCI9 steering wheel.
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:01:22 AM »

JDR,

After many years and hundreds and hundreds of dollars in Wineguard crank up antennae, round antennae, omini, batwing, and almost every type imaginable, We have found that a $2 pair of rabbit ears from your local flea market or Dollar Store worked better.

We've even used the so called "signal boosters" to no avail.

Just ask Gary LaBombard how well rabbit ears work on his S&S he was really surprised!

IHTH
Dallas
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 06:05:31 AM by Dallas » Logged
Ace

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:54:33 AM »

In agreement about the 2 buck rabbit ears BUT it does really depend on where you are at for them to work. I have been places where satelite ONLY would work and rabbit ears were just along for the ride. Also rabbit ears are usally only good for local stations and if your out away from a city then reception won't be that good!

IMHO

Ace
Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:48:08 AM »

I have an old boomerang type on my coach. It seems to work fine and you barely see it. I get around 5 channels here in Los Angeles area.

Besides I think it looks cool.

Paul
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:39:47 AM »

I have the Wineguard crank up antenna on our bus.  The antenna along with the built in amplifier do amazing things with weak channels.  I have never had any reason to be dissapointed with this setup. 
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 08:27:19 AM »

I also have the Wineguard crank up bat wing antenna.  I've been very pleased with this setup and was able to pull in a couple of stations even at the Caverns.  The only bad thing is that I've gone through three of them since my warehouse door opening is shorter than the bat wing is tall.  Needless to say, I have one of those red flags I clip to my air horn chain to prevent this from happening (also have gone down the road with it still up!).  The nice thing about this setup is that you can upgrade to the satellite antenna that would replace the straight TV antenna.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »

I also have the Wineguard crank up bat wing antenna.  I've been very pleased with this setup and was able to pull in a couple of stations even at the Caverns.  The only bad thing is that I've gone through three of them since my warehouse door opening is shorter than the bat wing is tall.  Needless to say, I have one of those red flags I clip to my air horn chain to prevent this from happening (also have gone down the road with it still up!).  The nice thing about this setup is that you can upgrade to the satellite antenna that would replace the straight TV antenna.  Good Luck, TomC

It's pretty easy to wire up an alarm for the antenna using a magnetic alarm switch or a mercury switch.  Wire it through the start circuit so it will alarm if the antenna is up and the run switch is on.

Personally, I could use an alarm on the antenna, satellite, power cable, water hose, sewer line, jacks, etc. CRS is a bitch.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 08:50:45 AM »

My experience with the TV antennas was that generally I was camped somewhere where I could not generally receive more than one or two stations, and many times not even that.

I ended up putting up a satellite antenna that would automatically lock on to the satellite. That was always good unless i was parked under trees that sometimes blocked the satellite antenna also. I then got a portable antenna and base that I could set up away from the trees that would allow me to get a signal. That solved the problem completely. Since I had satellite TV at home I only had to pay for it one time. I just moved the receiver from the home to the bus. Eventually I got another receiver and then only had to move the card.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »

Is anyone using a good roof mounted tv antenna that isn't to obtrusive. Trying not to make my 9 roof look like a porcupine. I am also in need of a MCI9 steering wheel.

I  installed a refurbished King Dome satellite antenna on my MC9 and with the exception that it is a manual hunt for a satellite and trees tend to block signals at times I like it.

As for the steering wheel.... Dou you want a stock original 20" or something like the VIP 18" that I installed?
You can order a wheel from VIP or IBP but you must know exactly the shaft diameter and number of splines
on you current wheel.

My 83 MC9 is a 1" shaft @ 36 spline. Yours might be the same or could be different. That's why you need to measure.
The plan on parting with almost $200 for a wheel.

I love mine, Makes the bus drive much easier.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: