Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:05:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil additive question  (Read 1230 times)
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »

I use Lucas oil additive in a couple of my gas powered farm vehicles, they sit unused quite a bit and lucas keeps the cylinder walls lubricated, so they say. Is it advisable to use it in my 8/71, the Lucas product is like STP a thick syrupy kind of stuff. Would it be an advantage or a no no. Thanks

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »

I use Lucas oil additive in a couple of my gas powered farm vehicles, they sit unused quite a bit and lucas keeps the cylinder walls lubricated, so they say. Is it advisable to use it in my 8/71, the Lucas product is like STP a thick syrupy kind of stuff. Would it be an advantage or a no no. Thanks 

Some people swear by Lucas additives but my opinion is that modern oils are so good that if you need an "additive", there's something else wrong that should be fixed.  The other side is that modern oils are so good *because* they're blended with scientifically engineered chemical components ("additives") from the factory and adding other chemicals could damage the benefits of the additives already in the oil.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »

I would not recommend the Lucas additive!  I added it to the oil in my 8V71 and then took a 2000 mile trip.  The engine smoked something fierce by the end of the trip!  It took two oil changes ($$$) and almost 5000 miles to get exhaust smoke back to normal.  It was a pretty tired engine btw.

That's the trip I got flipped off by a woman driving a 300D!!!

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »

I know what you mean. I was on a cross Canada tour with my 69 Pontiac Ambulance pulling a trailer, I had an oil change in New Brunswick and was talked into some miracle oil additive. Within an hour it started smoking, by the time I got to Quebec it looked like the British Navy was passing by. People were scared to pass and when they did they made all sorts of jesters, some were in French. I rebuilt the big 428 when I got home to BC. The additive removed the carbon and build up from the rings causing the problem. Wally's cheap oil by the case helped the remaining 3,500 miles, that and STP for a thickner

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »

I had a Volvo that had a steering issue.  I was told that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced.  Feeling I had little to lose, I used a Luca power steering additive.  The problem corrected itself in less than a half hour.  After that, I had some confidence in Lucas products.  I actually did add some of their oil additive to the bus last time around to see if it would slow oil usage as it claimed.  I am not sure that it did or did not.  In any case, there was nothing dramatic.  There is a website with a name like, "Joe is the oil guy" or something similar.  I read there that Lucas oil additive is just some very heavy weight oil and does not do anything more than raising your viscosity.  I do not know if that is true either but do not feel compelled to use the stuff again after my recent oil change.

If anyone has better information, I'm always glad to listen.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »

I always thought that all these additives would be added to oil at manufacturing time if they were really that great.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »

this is slightly off topic, but what about zmax... Smiley

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
opus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »

No additives to any oil.  http://bobistheoilguy.com and check out whats said there.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:27:32 PM »

Holy Mackerel, they are fairly straight forward about not liking the product. I'll continue it in my farm stuff, but not in the bus. Thanks for the information
http://m.automobilemag.com/features/news/1202_super_scrapper_forrest_lucas/lucas_oil.html
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2654190#Post2654190

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Retired Paramedic
dukegrad98

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »

this is slightly off topic, but what about zmax... Smiley

I built and own a very unique 1965 Ford/Shelby Cobra replica, but even so, I refuse to use anything which Carroll Shelby pimps out as a paid spokesman in commercials.

Oh, and I use no oil additives in any of my vehicles or equipment.

Cheers, John
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 07:01:09 AM »

The only additive I use is Stabil to gasoline and motor oil to the fuel tank on all my diesels.  I am not going to say how many miles I have with no problems as that will surely jinx me.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »

Lin,

I had the same PS results on my old Ply minivan except I use the WM store brand sealer, worked great at a fraction of the cost of Lucas - all grossly overpriced.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: