Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 08:58:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LP gas cooktop  (Read 1602 times)
rip

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »

I have a Kitchen Aid cooktop and would like to change the BTU's if possible. The manufacture states the burners are sealed and can't be changed.Has anyone tried this or is this even possible to get higher BTU's out of the burner.
    Don
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:04:01 AM »

I have a black Kitchen-Aid 2-burner cooktop and it came with different size orifices so you could convert to use propane instead of natural gas.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:57:29 AM »

I have a black Kitchen-Aid 2-burner cooktop and it came with different size orifices so you could convert to use propane instead of natural gas.     --Geoff 

If Rip is running propane to the cooktop with natural gas orifices, the jets should be changed anyway -- even if it doesn't increase temperature (although it almost certainly will).  Check what you have, Rip.  Make sure that the orifices are propane jets.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
rip

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:09:54 AM »

Yes they are are propane jets.I have been using this for years,I just want more btu's.It takes a long time for things to heat up.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »

Yes they are are propane jets.I have been using this for years,I just want more btu's.It takes a long time for things to heat up. 

OK, that means that they're safe; but it doesn't help you with the heat dilemma.  I've never heard of different jet orifices for different heats (doesn't mean that they don't exist but I expect that they're pretty rare).  I live in a little town -- I'm gonna guess that the nearest "natural gas" network is 100 miles away.  My local LP dealers also provide service for household and industrial gas and they're real knowledgeable about all the little details; have you checked with a local co. there?  (Or Kitchen Aid customer support?)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:06:42 AM »

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/gas-kitchen-laundry-bbq-appliances/157487-stove-burner-flame-adjustment.html

Google search, 5,540,000 results!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »

FWIW my propane/natural gas stove came with a kit to change to propane, and every burner got a different jet size, and has a different BTU output.  I wouldn't be changing things willy-nilly, they all have different burner sizes as well.  My other natural gas Kitchen-aide is indeed not a very hot burning cooktop...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »

Turn the pressure up what altitude are you at ? most are set for sea level with .4 lbs of pressure plus propane is so nasty these days coming from aboard the jets may need cleaning sorry forgot the decimal  .4 lbs 

good luck
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:54:42 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »

Typically natural gas jets will be bigger then propane since natural gas has less BTU's.  Perhaps try the natural gas jets?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »

Ah NO! 10" to 14" Water Column. Not 4 PSI

I always wondered how a story of dirty this or fouled that got started. Do you really think that the pipeline operators would accept "dirty" gas for pumping? No. Operating costs for filters and pump repair would negate the pumping fee.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:45 PM »

LOL why do think they pig those lines every so often every compressor station or pumping station has pig launchers at Tennessee Gas we used a brush pig followed by a rubber pig then the poly pig if that didn't work we would sand blast that section it may have been a 50 miles long section   

It was a simple process to sand blast a section of pipe on the inside

Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:19 PM »

Yeah they do run pigs frequently. Cheesy However, pump repairs are expensive downtime and to be avoided at all costs Sad.
In any pipeline the flow velocity is key to deposition on the pipe walls. Slower flow and the deposition rate increases as a log function of the change is velocity. Remember the flow at the boundary layer next to the pipe wall is close to zero. Turbulent flow is desired to lessen dropout but laminar flow requires less pumping power but increases dropout. Hence the balancing act of flow velocity versus how many times pigging.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
garhawk

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 06:21:40 AM »

Hi Rip,

If you have the manufacturer's proper sized orifice installed for the type fuel you are using, then you should be properly set.  Your problem is most probably height; i.e., the tip of the flame should only just nip at the surface you are attempting to heat (bottom of your pan).

gary t'berry
Eagle Mod 20 DD ser 60 w/slide
GMC RTS 102"  40er (in progress)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »

I also find that our propane cooktop is not as hot as we'd like it.  I never looked to see if there was a way to adjust the flame height though.  Since the furnace works fine, I might be hesitant to do something that effects the whole system.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »

The diameter of the burner determines the BTU output of the burner not the orifice size.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »

I don't recommend this for anyone, but I did some research and trial and error and found a drill bit a size up from the existing orifice in just one burner on our old 4 burner range and I drilled out the jet. I got lucky and the burner performed like a champ. The key word here being lucky Wink. Last Dec we replaced the range with a new Amana and the center front burner performs equally with the one that we modified so there hasn't been any reason to mess with it. We used the old range for approx. 4 years after modifying it with no problems. But like I said and will say again, we got lucky. Will Smiley
 My wife cooks on her range everyday and if this one hadn't put out the heat, I would have modified it also. But that's just me.
I had a crab cooker once that shot yellow flames 10 feet into the air because the manufacturer neglected to install the jet. I tried everything to get enough air for a proper mix before figuring out what the problem was. I'm a little slow sometimes, Cool

Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 06:40:12 AM »

Most new cook tops have adjustable orifices where you screw them in or out to adjust the amount of Gas you get through them to mix with the air that you are getting through the air shutter.  What you need to do is adjust both the gas and air until you have an all blue flame except just the very tip of the flame and it will be red.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 06:49:39 AM »

Yep we have a Gaggenau you remove the control knob there is a adjustment screw to set the flame height and air YMMD  and happy birthday  Donald  today is my wifes day also
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:57:11 AM by luvrbus » Logged

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »

Don -

If you really want to speed things up, get yourself an induction cook top.

Chris & Cherie of Technomadia did a comparison test not to long ago with Ben & Karen of Creative Cruiser - significant difference in amount of time to boil water.  IIRC, there's info on their blog about it, here's the link, scroll down to the "Boil off" video:

http://www.technomadia.com/2011/09/so-we-meet-again/

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: