Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 11:59:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel Wells & Air Beams  (Read 2622 times)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »

NCBob: Your MC5A is approaching 50 years old and if the air beams are still good it shoots down the theory that all air beams rust and leak.

I don't agree with your theory on axle movement causing air movement in the bag. The axle should not rotate unless the radius rod bushings are worn. The better ride is simply a matter of having a larger volume of air in the system than if the beams are sealed off.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 10:48:10 AM »

Hey Stan, one of my PD4501's is a 1956 & the air beams still hold air. I can find no significant rust anywhere in the structure. It was a west coast bus.

My 1954 has rust holes in the air beams large enough to stick a couple of fingers in. Yes those bags have block-off plates. this was an Eastern & north central bus.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 02:27:52 PM »

Kyle4501 My MC7 Combo had a 4501 rear suspension and also had zero rust in the air beams. There are two factors that save the air beams. The bus must be initially constructed in such a way that water does not get between the floor and the top of the beam. If it stays dry on top, then it is the reponsibility of the owner to keep the mud, salt and other crud of the lower part of the beam by regular washing.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 05:25:35 PM »

I think the salted roads did mine in. The holes are on the side about middle ways up. Odd place if you ask me.

Rides smooth as glass even with blockoff plates. Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: