The most severe revenue service any bus is subjected to is that of the transit. Drive a block, stop. Drive a block, stop. Every day, 12 to 18 hours per day.
For nearly 40 years, up until the electronic "drive-by-wire" engines, transits used air throttles. What does that tell you?
Back when I worked in the charter bus industry, we had several GMC 4905s with (optional) air throttles and 4-spd Spicers. As TomC said, they take some getting used to, but no worse than the wet clutch those buses had. Air throttles respond slightly differently, and can cause some gear crunching until you figure them out. No big deal, really, and they're certainly less fatiguing to drive on a long run than a worn cable/mechanical linkage.
Most common failure of an air throttle is the diaphragm on the engine side. Carry a spare, replacement takes about 10 minutes.
OTOH, GMC used Morse-type cables on all their highway models for years. Secret was keeping them lubed properly. Usually the cable itself never broke, but sometimes the cable's housing would, especially in the rear axle area. 90% of the time, the breakage was due to poor maintenance (lack of lubrication), the other 10% was due to corrosion issues.
Your choice - do it your way!
FWIW & HTH. . .