Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 01:18:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kohler 7CM21-RV generator  (Read 6021 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 05:48:10 AM »

Looking good Van.  Probably if you stand right next to that one and I park 200 yards away you'll hardly be able to hear mine as long as yours is running. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

You guys are awesome thanks! I do have a question on the remote start panel, looks like only the start/stop leads were used (blk/red/brown), can any one tell me what the other 3 wires are used for ( blue/white /Green)? Is this to read voltage/indicator light ? is anyone using the stock kohler remote panel? The PO didn't have one so I guess I will have to construct one. I did manage to down load a PDF for the service manual and parts manual, so I am good there (thanks Billy!)

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »

A Onan remote will work also check my shop there are several remotes for Onan's with the hour meter and there are several HWH slide switches in panels that will work they are neat they have a rocker switch and a key switch you could hook the fuel pump on the key but they are not hard to make just takes a momentary switch

good luck
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:19:07 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Bussman84
My first love is my 1961 Int. Skoolie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »

Van the blue and white are for the hour meter greens not used. There is a install manual on line that shows wire diagram for hooking up remote switches I didn't get the original panel with mine either. When I bought mine and started the install I searched everywhere for the manuals online could find any info for the life of me, Had to buy them all from a kohler dealer (and had to pay way to much!!!!) just did a Google search and they all popped up..... Just my luck LOL

Best of luck,   Billy

1961 Int. Skoolie 345v-8 w/4spd.
1979 MC-9 8v71 HT740
Southcentral, Kansas
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:41 AM »

Hah ha, I just found the install manual Shocked Grin Ok Looking at the remote hook up schematic, that you are correct that the blue and white are for the hour meter and the indicator light, easy enough but now I'm currious what the green is for  Huh back to the book Grin

now comes the fun stuff, the muffler and y-pipe, or is there a dual inlet muffler available? How are you running yer exhaust? I'd hate to have to run dual muffers, more research is in order. thanks again! Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »

The green is for the run light ground on the panel on mine what it grounds to the generator I have no idea
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:13:55 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Bussman84

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »

Van, mine came with the muffler and yes it is a dual inlet. Billy

1979 MC-9 8v71 HT740
Southcentral, Kansas
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »

Thanks B! I have been scouring the internet for this muffler # 277726 no luck yet, might have to get creative Wink

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »

Van  if it helps they use a Nelson muffler

James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »

Hello Van,

I wned one of these at one time. They are great units! You probably alreeady know this but this unit is strictly 120 volts. No 240 split phase unless it has been re-wired.

Best regards,

Rusty

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Bussman84

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »

Van, MPG Service Inc. Out of little rock seems to have quite a bit of knowledge on these units. I used them for my remote switches and manuals. You might give them a try for a replacement, I would guess they could at least get you heading in the right direction. They have a web site but not much for parts listing online more just company info. Thier number is 1-501-565-0009.

Billy

1979 MC-9 8v71 HT740
Southcentral, Kansas
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:47 AM »

I found this site:  http://www.rvmechanic.com/current_category.181/Forum.137483/offset.61/forum_thread_full.html

which led to this part:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381957_200381957?isSearch=169998

Does that help?

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »

Rusty, thank you, I did notice how the jumper connecting the 2 legs to the circuit breakers on the unit, I am curious on how (if possible) we might be able to work this. Our coach is wired for 30 amp temporarily at the moment, wiring for 50 was the initial goal, but was not feasible at the time. This will take some more careful research on my part as I am no electrician  Grin Grin
Billy, I will look into giving those folks a jingle too, thanks for the number, much appreciated!
Thanks Len! wore my fingers to the bone searching the web to no avail but did cross these posts at least a few times, but the fella eventually had a shop do the repair.
 This Kohler unit has no Y-pipe in the mix, the 2 exhaust headers go straight down into a double inlet on the stock Kohler muffler which is great if I could find the exact replacement. The alternative is to fab up a two into one header, which will allow me my choice of muffler to bring this (as B.O.T.N would say) noise maker under control lol!
 Clifford, I will look into Nelson and see if there is one available, if not fabbing a header will most likely be my best bet. The easiest alternative is just to run 2 separate mufflers out the backof the bus, heck at least I can make it look like I have an 8-V71 lol!

Thanks Fella's but today I have to get back to the shop full of Hadley's, whose owners have agreed to throw all kinds of dough my way to fund my genny project lol!. Grin Grin Grin

Onward and upward

Van Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »

O boy a generator with chrome fish tails I can see this one coming lol the do sound cool with duals

good luck

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 08:14:07 AM »

I had a similar commercial Onan 6.5 with Vacuflo cooling where the air is sucked over the engine then blown out the bottom in my big rig truck (the Kohler pushes the air over then is vented out the bottom on either side).  Since the Kohler is a flathead engine, you'll have to decarbon it every so often-it tells you when it needs it-it starts to knock.  One way I kept the carbon built up to a minimum was to keep at least a 1500 watt load on it at all times-which in my case was simply running the block heater.

Find out what the ignition system is-on my Onan the points were a pain-and converted it to electronic.  Also, make sure you understand how to adjust the carb to lean it out when you're in high altitude.  Change the oil every 100 hours, and it will last many years-my first Onan had over 12,000 hours on it before it quit. When I did run the gen at night, I placed a box fan outside next to the exhaust pipe to blow the fumes away from the sleeper-course this is in a truck stop with close parking.  Only pain is using two fuels.  Personally like Diesels much better.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: